Your fave "I found this band"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bayernfc said:
Tangiers and Bedouin Soundclash

To my severely musically-challenged friends, Manic Street Preachers and the Mescaleros

Bedouin Soundclash is really good! :drool: Since my school is musically challenged, I talk about Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs a lot.

bayernfc said:

It was their brilliant energetic live show that did it for me. They're Toronto based, one of the better garage/new wave revival bands, but I hate categories so I don't know if that description fits.

3 albums so far:

Hot New Spirits-2003
Never Bring You Pleasure-2004
The Family Myth-2005

I can send you a few of their tracks if you'd like.

if garage/new wave revival is even remotely close to what you could call them (i hate categories too, and they're hardly accurate), i don't think i'm too interested. i'm really burnt out on that sort of stuff.

I agree, there's been way too many of them around these past couple of years. It's probably the local thing (being from my college and all) or the live shows that gets me.

I am a music pimp, so I could list about 100 or so.
The ones I'm most usually found pimping that don't get much recognition:
Andrew Bird
Augie March
The Wrens
Ted Leo/Pharmacists
Moloko/Roisin Murphy
Calexico
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

SkeeK said:

The Wrens

How the fuzz I forgot to mention this band is entirely beyond me. Good call. I can't even begin to tell you of the legions of friends, loved ones, neighbors, and hangers-on whom I've failed to convert to Wrens-lovery in spite of my best efforts.

If you shout... said:

How the fuzz I forgot to mention this band is entirely beyond me. Good call. I can't even begin to tell you of the legions of friends, loved ones, neighbors, and hangers-on whom I've failed to convert to Wrens-lovery in spite of my best efforts.

seriously? that sucks!
actually most people I play them for think they're really sweet right off the bat!

Well back in high school, I was the first to know of Pearl Jam. People thought I was wierd, then like a month later, they were all singing their praises.

Let's see what others:

Grant Lee Buffalo
James(America is ignorant to this great band)
Ryan Adams(certain circles I hang with only listen to what's on the radio)
Flickerstick
Iron & Wine
Ours(who's new Rick Rubin produced album will be out early 2006:wink: )

I guess my biggest discovery was R.E.M. A friend knew Peter Buck and I was listening to tapes from live shows before they ever put out a record.

I also turned a lot of people on to U2 since I am old enough to have gotten "Boy" the minute it arrived in the stores in the U.S.

And there are some other people I used to see as opening acts in NYC way before they became famous, like Lucinda Williams.

Oh geez, I forgot a big one. Jeff Buckley. I was seeing him perform in the East Village long before "Grace" came out.

But usually I am the last to hear about cool people. :huh:

"Kara's Flowers", they used to rock, and I used to go see them play, they had really good pop/rock songs, but they changed their name and started playing VERY different style of music. You know them now as MAROON 5.

I also love this Southern California all girl band called EXIT. They Rock! They got onstage with U2 in LA at Staples in November! They are going to make it BIG! VERY BIG I SAY!!!

Visit their website now! Exit-band.com

DeadMansParty said:
"Kara's Flowers", they used to rock, and I used to go see them play, they had really good pop/rock songs, but they changed their name and started playing VERY different style of music. You know them now as MAROON 5.

Funny you should mention that, DMP, as the "Kara" that Kara's Flowers got their name from was my girlfriend for a while. She went to high school with all of those guys, as well as some from Phantom Planet (the two bands are old rivals).

I also saw one of those pre-Maroon 5 shows and they were a lot better, though I still thought they were Jamiroquai wannabes (as Jay Kay himself is a Stevie Wonder wannabe).

I read an interview not too long ago in Rolling Stone where they said Kara was a girl they all used to have crushes on in high school, and I'm pretty sure she told me that was a load of shit just to make the story sound better.

Seafood
Mojave 3
Ed Harcourt
Tom McRae
Kent
Snow Patrol four years ago
Idlewild four years ago
Damien Rice before Glastonbury 2003

I don't listen to music enough anymore to find newish/lesser known bands. :slant:

Green Day. Saw them aaaaaaages ago (12 years or so??) at a venue in the Netherlands. There were only 60 people there... Loved them, told everyone.

Soul Asylum
The Gandharvas
No Doubt
Garbage

Those 4 I can think of off the top of my head. I remember likeing them quite a bit before anyone else had heard of them. AT least in my area anyways. I wasn't actually the first person ever to hear these bands.:wink:

I want to thank my personal pioneers Meggie, Jkayet, deathbear, Elvis Presley, skeek and Yertle.

I had the first Sufjan "Illinois" thread. :shrug:

Thanks to Elevation2U who reminded me I need to buy Son & Daughters and Skeek who has reminded me I need to find some Andrew Byrd. :up:

The Secret Machines.

Can't wait for their next album. I hope they really show what they've got in the future. This band has a ton of potential, but their debut LP was kinda hit-or-miss.

Watch out for the band, MUTE MATH.

Only an EP so far, but it's a great one, and you GOTTA see them live. Totally amazing in the live setting.....especially the drummer!

MUTE MATH. MUTE MATH. MUTE MATH.

I heard about Coldplay well before they made it big here. I remember streaming BBC Radio and hearing them sing Yellow. At the time, I thought that they had enormous potential, just from hearing that. But in some strange way, they've never lived up to my expectations of them, even though they are huge now.

meegannie: oh, you've "found" (the swedish? i don't know if there's more bands with the same name..?) Kent as well? is it "Isola" and "Hagnesta Hill", or..? =)

Josh Kelley, Josh Groban and Michael Buble.

I found Josh Kelley online about two years ago or so. I forgot where I found Josh Groban. And I found Michael Buble while browsing Borders about two years ago.

And then, I told all my friends.

There might be others that I "found."

i remember in high school (9th or 10th grade) buying 'bellybutton' by jellyfish. i think all of my friends now have at least one (if not both) of their albums. man, they were GREAT.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom