Your fave book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ana

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Another Time, Another Place, in The Electric Co. ;
Mine is "The Alchimist" by Paulo Coehlo.

I actually don't remeber what was the theme but All I can remember is that it made me cry when I finished reading it.

I absolutelly recomend it
smile.gif

That's so hard. I really can't pick one. I love the Sherlock Holmes stories--Holmes is my favourite literary character for sure. The Lord of the Rings comes very high. So does Watership Down, but maybe not quite as high as it used to--but then again, I read it recently for the first time in a while and still loved it to death. Also Mary Stewart's trilogy about Merlin (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment), Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, travel books by William Dalrymple and Colin Thubron, and many others...

...but really, I think that Holmes and The Lord of the Rings come ahead of those others.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

fictional?
douglas coupland's 'microserfs', almost all of coupland's stuff is great.
tolstoy's 'war and peace' was awesome as well
semi-fictional?
norman mailer's 'executioner's song'

non-fictional?
naomi klein's 'no logo' is the only thing that really springs to mind-i've read far to many texts since i got to uni i can't remember a good non-fictional account of anything.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Originally posted by Ana:
LMAO! I tought you said Martha Stewart...!!!

I wonder what Martha Stewart's trilogy would be? C'mon, someone a lot funnier than me can no doubt come up with something good.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

How do I pick one- I cant, so I will give you my top 5.....

1984- George Orwell: truly a classic, so well written, but a bit scary when you think about what is happening in the world at the moment

Praise- Andrew McGahan: Aussie author who writes very well, this story revolves around the exploits of an unconventional guy and his crazy girlfriend- their drug taking, sex, mind games- very grungy and easy to read, he is probably my fave author

He died with a felafel in his hand- John Birmingham: Another Aussie author and probably the funniest book I have ever read- this book is semi auto-biographical and accounts all of the different share houses that the author lived in and the crazy people that he lived with from Junkies to goths, lesbians, people who never wash up, people who are too tidy, people who piss in the fridge, nude singers and so on

The Nightingale and the rose- Oscar Wilde: I could mention nearly all of his short stories here, he is such a magical writer

and now I will give honourable mentions to anything written by either Charles Bukowski and PJ O'Rourke
smile.gif

Mein Kamf

" Science-political texts By V.I.LENIN " IN 7 books ( 500 pages each )

Capital By Karl Marx with a little help from Fridrih Engels and other comrads

hey hey hey it was D.N.A !!!

SALUT , C'EST ENCORE MOIS

I PREFER TO READ LES ORIGINALES

The phone book. Any book with so many reads gets tiring but with the phone book and all the names it has the possibilities are endless for the stories you can create thus it is worthwhile everytime you read it, even on the 99th time.

~rougerum

E. Hemmingway - The old man and the sea

(mental note, get Mr. Mac to shut Ivan up)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 11-23-2001).]

Ivan you?re kidding are you????

Mine would be "Catcher in the rye" by Salinger for the english books and maybe something by Stuckrad-Barre form the german literature.

------------------
beLIEve

Hmmmm... I could list many and many here. First one off the top of my head would be Bag of Bones by Stephen King - that one just blew my mind.

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Just had to mention too... If you want to read a truly hysterical book, the guys might not like it though, pick up "Getting Over It" by Anna Maxted.

Great topic, my favorite book is definitely Choke by Chuck Palahniuk; but really anything by him is great:

Invisible Monsters
Survivor
Fight Club

Other favorites:
To Kill A Mocking Bird
The Fuck-Up by Arthur Nersesian

------------------
'listen as hope and peace try to rhyme' -*POP*

"You changed me--and I thank you for that." -Bono 11/5/01

WWJND?

The Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh. I also love anything by Edward Gorey, honarable mention to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson....
I also second the Screwtape Letters...

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

"Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov

"The Good Terrorist" by Doris Lessing

"Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier

Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels - too many titles to mention, although the Nightwatch books are probably my favourite series within the series. Sam Vimes kicks ass!
smile.gif

"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt

"Guardians of the Flame" books by Joel Rosenberg. The best fantasy series ever, IMO.

"Catcher in the Rye" - J.D Salinger
"Sentimental Education" - Gustave Flaubert
"On the Road" - Jack Kerouac
"Social Animal" - Elliot Arronson

------------------
"Find the meaning of the act, remember how it goes
Every time you take the water and you swim against the flow
The world is all around us, the days are flying past
And fear is so contagious, but I?m not afraid to laugh"

Neil Finn

Originally posted by OzAurora:
I am reading this at the moment- very clever book, I really like the way that Irvine Welsh writes and I love the way that he writes in a dialect, makes it feel a lot more authentic
smile.gif

Hell yes, it's his best work in my humble opinion. Check out Filth if you have a chance next. Hehe tape worms...

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Back
Top Bottom