your Australian band recommendation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i find frenzal rhomb to be amusing

and cos i know someone will have to mention them--silverchair rule.

i like old school funky bluesy stuff...so I like what I've heard of Dallas Crane,
Gerling are fun...get activated
I like John Butler Trio sometimes..interesting guitarist, solid rhythm section
The singer from Sleepy Jackson has a sister and she has a band called Little Birdy....I like her voice at times.

I don't get to see many touring bands live these days, so I mainly only hear new songs on Triple J.
Triple J have a show called "Home and Hosed" that features new Aussie music. You can listen to that via the net.
Hoodoo Gurus have reformed:up:
there are so many bands working about doing the pub/club circuit, playing away brilliantly, un-noticed by the masses.
Bless 'em All

PS: it became very apparent this morning my old man likes Delta Goodrem:faint:..she reminds him of Jewel.
and I just cannot watch the new Kylie film clip without my eyes watering:faint:

Go The Wallabies

I second the recommendation of The Sleepy Jackson and Little Birdy.

Also...

Auggie March
Machine Gun Fellatio
The Herd
Hermitude
Architecture in Helsinki
Andromeda

I also agree with cass that listening to home and hosed on jjj or indeed just jjj in general is a good way for people outside of australia to hear some good aussie bands.

Oblivia.
If you can find their album, it is interesting none the less.

Betchdupa.
Actually from NZ (but the drummer is and Aussie). Saw them when they supported Coldplay.

oh I know about Betchadupa through their Finn connection

great band, although I've only heard one of their EPs

I've heard about Augie March but I'm not exactly familiar with what they play

the rest are new names to me (bar the rhomb and silverchair), but I'll check them out

aussie music :heart:

I'm not sure if you are just interested in recent music.
If you want to delve back check out
Paul Kelly( he is still recording too)
and if you enjoy a guitar played in a unique gifted was give
Tommy Emmanuel a listen
I have a big old soft spot for Archie Roach
Mental As Anything were a lot of fun and played goodtime/summertime music.
Bondi Cigars are a great blues band
The Truth had some great funky tunes on thewir eponymous album.

Theres a newish band called "The Beautiful Girls" I'd like to see live.
The Waifs are a nice independent 3 piece, one of the girls rips on harmonica...Bob Dylan was impressed.
Hub's guitarist/singer just made a Cd of some of his originals..the cover art is so funny and he has written on it..."feel free to copy this and share it around":laugh:
I haven't heard it yet...I look forward to that today.
and I saw a big banner in town last night.."BREWHOUSE PARTY- Divergence CD launch" That's hub's TAFE music students. I haven't heard any of it yet...there is usually a couple of gems per album, it's about the 6th they have done:faint:.
I agree
Australian music:heart:

g'day...again...yertle?

do you live in Singapore?
I'm not sure how old you are , maybe not old enough to go to bars?
Have you heard of a venue in Singapore called Muddy Murphy's?
I've just heard my favourite local band "pennyblack" are doing New Year's Eve there and then a residency from Jan 1-17:(...I mean I'm pleased for them, but they will be missed here:sad: They are a good band imho, great bass player. The singer and guitarists are brothers who moved here from Ireland, I've rattled on here about them before....so if you have any women friends that way inclined...they'd be smitten I'm sure.
Just thought I'd mention it to you:)

i really like 'killing heidi' :) an australian corrsfan friend recommended them to me, and they're really funky. :p

my fave song is 'heaven sent' :) um i cant really describe them, its a female singer quite young, rocky, they are just real cool. ;)

howdy aurora...did you get along to the riverside Powderfinger concert? JBT support...it would have been great.
I had two friends go see Neil Young in Brisbane:up:
I am content to have found a CD of his at the markets yesterday that I didn't have..$2 bargain!:) :dance:
My friend's brother gave him David Bowie tickets as an early birthday present...I wish I had a brother like that:D
stay cool:wave:

yertle-the-turtle said:
*update*

I freakin' love the Sleepy Jackson.
I just downloaded some of their stuff and I tend to agree

I might have to buy this album :hmm:

kazaa apparently hates skunkhour though :|

its ok slomey.

*I* like skunkhour and will deliver the goods once i can be arsed.

sit tight though, it will be some time in the year 2004...
!!

chances are that I will figure out that it might be less of an effort to ship my entire album collection to Oz than to actually burn some of it :grumpy:

perhaps I am on the drugs that killed River Phoenix :hmm:

then i must be on the slab that bon scott drunk (drank).
!

do you know what the real problem is? its that this stupid burner needs everything turned off or it has a bit of a hissy fit and dies violently.

pffft!

sounds familiar

are you on my computer while I'm at work by chance? :mad:

anyways
I need more recommendations

Back
Top Bottom