Your 5 favourite bass players [/sad LemonMelon rip off]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Same thing as the 5 favourite guitarists thread. You don't have to list the 5 BEST bass players (in terms of technique or whatever), just the five you like the most, for whatever reason. Mine:

1. Roger Waters
rw063.jpg

Not a wizard on the bass like some other bass players from the same period, but he DID write what's probably the most memorable bass riff in rock music history - Money. Plus, he's a genius.

2. Flea
flea.jpg

The man's a psycho. One of the best bass players ever. Pure genius. Aren't you glad I didn't post a naked Flea picture? The first one that appears on a search of "flea red hot chili peppers" is incredibly disturbing. :lol:

3. Geddy Lee
1382_38.jpg

Say what you will about Geddy Lee's singing voice, the man knew how to play a fucking bass.

4. Vic Wooten
wooten4.jpg

Crazy bass player. Probably the best that ever lived. I'm always in awe/incredibly jealous when I watch videos of this guy playing.

5. Paul Simonon
paul-simonon.jpg

Pretty average as bass players go (then again, he was in a punk band) but very cool. Guns Of Brixton is pretty infectious. And he was on the cover of (arguably) the best album ever put out by a punk group.

1. Flea :bow: Greatest bassist ever!

Not sure about the rest but Waters is in there. Interpol's bassist is definitely in there! :drool:

come on, adam claytons work on pop alone qualifies him to be on a top-5 list.

U2Man said:

I like his work when I'm listening to the songs like COBL for instance. I love the bass throughout that song! But he always kinda blends into the musical background. Not prominent like say, Flea.

U2Man said:
and if you disagree, you're not a true u2 fan.

I'm an untrue fan. :cry:

1. John Entwistle
John_Entwistle_exploiter.jpg

2. Flea
o2_flea.jpg

3. Chris Wolstenholme-- watch out for this guy:drool:
180054260_3e885c0ea6.jpg

4. Roger Waters
rogerwaters.jpg

5.John Paul Jones
jpj000.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, John Paul Jones is 100% in there! Holy shit, that guy was fucking amazing!

In fact, I think Led Zeppelin had the best everything except for singer who was good but not great.. IMO.

Chris Wolstenholme is an amazing bass player

DSC07878.jpg

he's inspired me to pick up a bass guitar

his baselines are :drool:

time is running out
hysteria
hyper music
new born.....

Zootlesque said:

I like his work when I'm listening to the songs like COBL for instance. I love the bass throughout that song! But he always kinda blends into the musical background.

exactly:up:

he's no Chris Wolstenholme:wink:

nevertheless, a lot of u2's famous live- groove and drive can be ascribed to adam clayton.

streets must have one of the simplest bass figures ever. but it works, bitches :rockon:

U2Man said:

Sorry U2Man, he just doesn't make my top five. Top twenty maybe, not top five. Technically I find him to be a bit of a snooze, and he doesn't have an interesting stage presence or vocals to substitute for his playing. His work on Pop was great, yeah, but if you take his whole career into consideration...

He just isn't a favourite of mine. :shrug:

i know. i was half-joking.

i have to say, though, that i admire someone that can get so much out of such simple playing.

simplicity can be beautiful.

Leaving out the jazz fusion guys;

1. Billy Sheehan
2. John Paul Jones
3. Les Claypool
4. Andy Fraser
5. Geddy Lee

:wink: Great thread idea.

5. Andy Rourke
andy.jpg

Behind Johnny Marr and Morrissey, there was Andy Rourke. His bass playing on The Queen Is Dead is positively fantastic. Listen to it, now!

4. Adam Clayton
163px-Adam_clayton_04.jpg

Yes, he's a crappy bassist compared to the others on this list, but who cares? He's the Joe Perry of the bass circuit; the man who can write memorable bass riffs in his sleep (and he just might!).

3. John Paul Jones
jpj02.jpg

Besides being a great bassist in his own right, Jones is also a ridiculously talented multi-instrumentalist; he's a man so talented, you might want to reconsider calling Jimmy Page the most talented member of Led Zeppelin.

2. Paul McCartney
509745_356x237.jpg

I'm going to get picked on for this one, but man, listen to this man play! His melodic riffs are truly wonderful. One of the best bassists in pop music, and IMO the most underrated. Listen to Abbey Road again...you'll get it.

1. John Entwistle
entwistle.gif

The Ox. His bass skills are incredible, as are his multi-instrumental talents. A wonderful bass player, and a huge part of what made The Who so great. R.I.P. John.

Michael James (Explosions in the Sky... possibly my favorite)
John Paul Jones
Les Claypool
Andy Rourke
Kim Gordon

My top 5

5 - Alex James - Blur (can't find a picture of him alone so here he is with the rest of the band)
blur.jpg

4 - Adam Clayton - U2
adamclayton.jpg

3 - Roger Glover - Deep Purple (I found it strange that noboody mentioned him...)
PbucketDP1.jpg

2 - Chris Wolstenholme (in my opinion the greatest bass player nowadays)
a168c470.jpg

1 - Roger Waters - Pink Floyd/Solo (he's still my favourite but I liked him more in the Pink Floyd era)
rw050.jpg

1. Sean Malone
2. Sean Malone
3. Sean Malone
4. Sean Malone
5. Sean Malone

If Sean Malone isn't on your list, you fail. Everyone on this thread fails. So I'm just making up for it. Other contenders for my list include Jason William Walton, Peter Hook, John Myung, and Tony Levin.

But Malone owns, truly. Just go listen to Cynic's Focus. Malone owns the hell out of the bass. Or if jazz-fusion influenced death metal isn't quite your style, check out Malone's work on Gordian Knot's albums. Pretty impressive and atmospheric stuff.

John Deacon ( Queen )

Flea ( RHCP )

Miroslav Vitous ( Weather Report )

Mike Rutherford ( Genesis )

Sid Vicious/Glen Matlock ( Sex Pistols )

Roger Waters is a great leader , composer , concept artist
but no f-ing way he's a good bass player , david gilmour played all the significant parts ( sheep , one of these days etc )

Back
Top Bottom