Your 5 favorite guitarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I know a "what's your favorite guitarist" thread would go nowhere, so I'll give you a top 5 to work with. Remember, this is your "favorites" not who you think is the "best", so don't be afraid to decide subjectively. :)

Here's my list.

5. Graham Coxon
coxon_3.jpg

Guitarist of Blur, and captain of his own solo career at this point, he is my favorite guitarist of the 90's, a period when guitar heroes were a rarity. He isn't the smoothest guitarist, or the cleanest, but no guitarist in that entire decade had quite his versatility. He also wrote brilliant songs, and he could sing too. Rock on, Graham.

4. Joe Perry
joe-perry-2-sized.jpg

Riffs were all the rage back in the day, but there were few that could come up with as many brilliant riffs as this man. I wouldn't say he is one of the more talented guitarists of his day, but no doubt one of the more competent, and he was also the ultimate riff machine. Still is...when the band lets him be, that is. Great slide player too.

3. David Gilmour
dave.jpg

Probably possessed the greatest guitar tone of any guitarist, ever. It was immediately recognizable, soaring, and sounded sublime. He wrote great songs, had a great voice, and played the solo on Comfortably Numb. That should be enough. He was a genius.

2. The Edge
mr_edge.gif

Redefined what the "guitar hero" was for the 1980's. His guitar style is immediately recognizable and glorious. 100% unique, 100% awesome, he's still the man, and he's still on fire. :wink:

1. Jimmy Page
JimmyPage.jpg

He basically created the riff. He wielded dwarf minions, mystical powers, and, ultimately, the greatest guitar skills known to man. If his resume isn't enough to put him on this list, just think; according to the Onion, he's about to save rock. :lol: First he creates the riff, now he's about to save our asses. I would think that qualifies him as the ultimate guitar hero, wouldn't you? :wink:

K, your turn.

george harrison (not a wanker, but maaaan did he have ear for melody?)
da edge (same as harrison, but different)
jonny greenwood (just wow).
nels cline
david gilmour/peter buck

^last two are both wankers. but good wankers.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
george harrison (not a wanker, but maaaan did he have ear for melody?)
da edge (same as harrison, but different)
jonny greenwood (just wow).
nels cline
david gilmour

^last two are both wankers. but good wankers.

ur a wanker ..............buddy :wink:

my top 4 perfectly reflects my top 4 bands.

the fifth one could have been peter buck :hmm:

The Edge
U2_4.jpg

well, duh. It's Edge's guitar style that has helped me fall in love with a lot of other bands that I think sometimes have a similar sound. And he's the reason I have an Explorer.

Jimi Hendrix
jimi.jpg

Cliche choice I know, but he's that good. Axis: Bold as Love is probably the best guitar album of all time. Little Wing, Spanish Castle Magic... :drool:

Tom Morello
tommorello7rz.png

Badass riffs, insane solos from outer space. And he made Audioslave listenable... but his true place is with Rage.

Russel Lissack
blocparty2090720055.jpg

Guitarist from Bloc Party, for those who don't know. I feel like he's got a unique style, but also reminds me of Edge a bit as his parts are often simple, but perfect.

John Frusciante
redhotchilipeppersjohnfrusc.jpg

Simply a virtuoso.

Honourable mentions: George Harrison, Jonny Greenwood, Joe Hill (from Alien Ant Farm - I met him and he let me play his guitar, which was amazing), Terry Corso (AAF's old guitarist), Tom Verlaine, Richard Lloyd, Matt Bellamy, Adam Jones (Tool)

AtomicBono said:

Russel Lissack
blocparty2090720055.jpg

Guitarist from Bloc Party, for those who don't know. I feel like he's got a unique style, but also reminds me of Edge a bit as his parts are often simple, but perfect.

is he trying to look like Jonny Greenwood?:eyebrow:

bellamy.jpg

Anyone?

Anyway, in no order, my favourites (I know they're not the best guitarrists ever but they're my favourite ones)are

The Edge
Matt Bellamy
Graham Coxon
David Guilmour
Brian May

And then there's the guy from The Strokes (I can't remember his name right now :reject: ) But I'm still "discovering" him... So he's not a favourite yet...

My top five:

1. David Gilmour
WIPF176.jpg

The man's a genius.

2. Brian May
BrianMay.jpg

A guitarist who doesn't get half the credit he's due. Nobody sounds like Brian May. Nobody.

3. Jonny Greenwood
radiohead3.jpg

It's Jonny Fucking Greenwood! Can you imagine The Bends and OK Computer without Jonny? I can't.

4. Matt Bellamy
muse_wideweb__430x315.jpg

He's done things I didn't even know were possible on guitar. Watch any live Muse DVD and you'll see what I mean.

5. George Harrison
george03.jpg

Not as flashy as the other guys I've listed, but come on, it's George!

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimmy Page
3. The Edge (before 2000 when he at least tried!)
4. Slash (pretty much grew up listening to this guy's awesome solos :drool: )
slash.jpg

5. Mark Knopfler
Mark%20Knopfler.jpg

5. Mark Knopfler
4. Larry Carlton
3. Eric Clapton
2. Jimi Hendrix
1. Duane Allman

In no particular order:

Edge
Dave Gilmour
Jimi Hendrix
Pete Townsend
Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Edge

Johnny Marr

Robert Cray

Peter Green

The blind Canadian guy that plays his guitar on his lap.....what the fuck is his name???

Ry Cooder

Sorry couldnt keep it to 5 and these in no particular order.

No particular order:

photo73tc4.jpg

200605132lk5.jpg

uti0719705dz6.jpg

jackwhitecb1.jpg

(Surprised no one has mentioned him yet)

And as far as acoustic goes:
tweedy02dlaih6.jpg

CKONE said:

The blind Canadian guy that plays his guitar on his lap.....what the fuck is his name???

Jeff Healey

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike McCready yet. :|

Oh, BTW, my honorable mention is Steve Howe. :wink:

steve-howe.jpg

Last edited:
1. Page - Riffs, songs, writing, but as much as anything else for his studio skills and production techniques pioneering

2. Edge -

3. Iommi - The true Riff master

4. Billy Gibbons - Has forgotten more about guitar tone than most people will ever learn. No one else can make 1 guitar sound like 2 or 3 guy splaying like he can

5. Doyle Dykes - A U2 medley to die for, just amazing to watch.

LemonMelon said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike McCready yet. :|

I was almost gonna make him my #5. But the thing about McCready is that (and other pearl jam fans may disagree) he doesn't really have a distinctive iconic style. He is technically very good and can handle some amazing jams in concert but he doesn't seem to have a signature style which usually does a good job in setting guitarists apart from one another.

I probably should have mentioned Jack White; I used to scoff at remarks comparing him to Page, but after hearing De Stijl I learned that the man can create a mean riff.

Zootlesque said:

I was almost gonna make him my #5. But the thing about McCready is that (and other pearl jam fans may disagree) he doesn't really have a distinctive iconic style. He is technically very good and can handle some amazing jams in concert but he doesn't seem to have a signature style which usually does a good job in setting guitarists apart from one another.

I agree wholeheartedly. The guy is a good, and even great guitarist on occasion (Alive solo FTW :up: ), but he certainly is not as distinctive as a landmark guitarist should be. I could even understand someone picking Peter Buck or Johnny Marr over him, simply because they stick out more.

Back
Top Bottom