Your 5 favorite guitarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve Cradock: Ocean Colour Scene.

The worlds most underrated guitarist from the worlds most underrated band.

He rips with soul.

53450394345a4c8bbef42f.jpg

David Gilmour

david_gilmour-6685.jpg

Pete Townshend

Pete_Townshend.jpg

Matt Bellamy

00013475_MuseHeaderMatthewBellamy41.jpg

Jonny Greenwood

jonnygreenwood5-crop.jpg

Mick Ronson

mick_ronson.jpg

If you don't know who Mick Ronson is, listen to any early '70s David Bowie album, he's the badass on lead guitar.

kind of an older thread but i still want to reply soo..

1. is tied between
USB20DISK-69.jpg
The Edge (of course)
and
DSCF2532.jpg

John Frusciante (not only is he amazing in RHCP but his solo albums and Ataxia are some of the best music out there...plus i personally think he's hot :wink: )

timfarriss.jpg

Tim Farriss (he's not considered one of the best guitar players out there but you gotta love INXS)

omar.jpg

Omar!

stonegossard.jpg

Stone Gossard

JimiHendrix2.jpg

you gotta have Jimi Hendrix

So many awesome guitarists already mentioned, tough job to narrow it down to five, but.. my favourites at the moment:

The Edge
John Mayer
Mike McCready
Lindsey Buckingham
John Butler

No mention of Kirk Hammett? Joe Walsh? Unless I missed 'em.

Good call on Bono though. ;)

Headache in a Suitcase said:

winner.

you had me at tiny tim... YOU HAD ME AT TINY TIM :sad:
One problem, Tiny Tim plays ukelele, not guitar, whole different thread, top 3 uke players:

laugh-in_tiny_tim.jpg

IZ1s.jpg

061201034153.jpg

And one of these days you're gonna hear an account of one of 2 things happening at a Pearl Jam concert in Boston:
A. EdVed will cover "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips"
or
2. EdVed will hurl Luke the Uke at an audience member in anger after said audience member requests "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" in very loud voice for the umpteenth time in Boston when Ed graces the stage with his uke. And yes that audience member will be yours truly. Every time he walks out with Luke, I yell for Tiny Tim's signature song, and I know Mr. Vedder has heard me on a couple of occasions.

It doesn't have to be rock guitarists, does it? My list is all guitarists whose work is recognizable at a few notes.

1) The Edge -- because he is a true original

2) Les Paul -- the inspiration for generations that followed

3) Chet Atkins -- one of the loveliest men to ever walk this earth, as well as a fantastic artist

4) Mark Knopfler -- a real musician's musician, able to play just about anything

5) Carlos Santana -- so sexy, and proof that music can excite and soothe

Honorable mentions have all been listed by other posters -- and Bonnie Raitt is a fine guitarist, herself!

No real order:

Edge (Has created so many different sounds over the years and remains as creative and rocking live as ever, plus we're on a U@ board, no reason to justify it haha)
Hendrix (I suppose for longevity, I should have included someone else, but I've been listening to him a lot lately)
Santana (Anyone really want to say Clapton's better?)
Tom Morello (no one can make a guitar do the things he can)
Mike McCready (doesn't need to have a distinctive style, his mutability makes him legendary)

Back
Top Bottom