Your 5 favorite albums [/sad LemonMelon ripoff]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
OK, so now we've had...

1. 5 Favorite guitarists
2. 5 Favorite bassists
3. 5 Favorite/Least Favorite rock drummers
4. 5 Favorite singers

So let's round this out with the final piece of the puzzle: 5 favorite albums. It could be anything, any genre. One per artist.

5. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
118961-music-resized200.jpg

Led Zeppelin at their most experimental. I really don't care what fans say, this is their peak. Robert Plant isn't great on this record vocally, but he sure helped write some great tunes. The opening three alone will melt your mind AND your face.

4. Steely Dan - Aja
stee01.jpg

Jazz-rock at its very best. This album is a masterpiece. Almost every song is top-notch, and the instrumentation is incredible. I listened to this album for the first time when I was (I think) 10 years old, and it introduced me to great music. A classic.

3. Zooropa
2004-09-19_121901_u2_zooropa.jpg

U2's finest, most experimental album (besides Passengers). I will concede, there are one or two songs that aren't up to par, but almost half of these songs are in my top 20 for U2, so that must say something right there. It's just incredible. If you don't like it, listen to it again. Heck, if you do like it, listen to it again!

2. Radiohead - OK Computer
B000002UJQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I know this pick is cliche, but I really don't care. This album is by far and away the finest album Radiohead ever recorded, and is the best album of the 90's. No need for iTunes or the skip button, this album is perfect.

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
pochette-abbey-road-w.jpg

The greatest album by the greatest band of all time. The first half shows the Beatles in good form, and the second half is so untouchably awesome that...well...I don't know what to say. It's genius. When three of the Beatles' best songs (You Never Give Me Your Money, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, The End) are in a medley together, that tells you something. It's the Beatles at their best in the areas of songwriting, musical proficiency, and ambition. Buy it now, please.

1. Brian Wilson - Smile
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3. U2 - Unforgettable Fire
4. R.E.M. - Out of Time
5. Palace Music - Arise, therefore

1. the beatles - abbey road
2. radiohead - ok computer
3. u2 - achtung baby
4. r.e.m - automatic for the people
5. wilco - sky blue sky

Last edited:
U2Man said:
1. the beatles - abbey road
2. radiohead - ok computer
3. u2 - achtung baby
4. r.e.m - automatic for the people
5. wilco - sky blue sky

Sky Blue Sky already? Seriously?

1. Achtung Baby
2. OK Computer
3. Abbey Road
4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
5. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Easy enough.

U2Man said:

5. wilco - sky blue sky

Listening to it this very second. Can't wait to own this on cd. :drool:

Now, keeping in mind this list of mine changes almost hourly, this is probably a decent representation of what I'm feeling right now. I could probably post entirely different lists every day though...and maybe I will. :wink:

For now:

5. Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
B00026WU7I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V60412373_.jpg

4. Radiohead - Kid A
Kid%20A%20Cover.gif

3. Beck - Sea Change
sea_change_01.jpg

2. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
U2-%20All%20that%20you%20can't%20leave%20behind.jpg

1. Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle
B000002513.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any insight into my current state of mind? :lol:

You know, I think it's changing already. I think I'll have to bump Blood on the Tracks up a few spots. Maybe to #3 or #2 position. :|

Changing all the Time

1.Muse - Absolution
2.Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
3.U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
4.Radiohead - The Bends
5.The White Stripes - The White Stripes

U2--Achtung Baby
Wilco--Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Lucinda Williams--Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
The Pixies--Come On Pilgrim
Miles Davis--Kind of Blue

Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and the Stones' Exile On Main Street are honorable mentions.

Lancemc said:

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
B00026WU7I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V60412373_.jpg

Radiohead - Kid A
Kid%20A%20Cover.gif

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle
B000002513.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

seriously lancey
you took 3 of my albums
:tsk:

all i have to contribute are:
JEFF BUCKLEY -GRACE
photo24.jpg

RYAN ADAMS - COLD ROSES
hotelchelseanights.jpg

and mandatory honorable mentions:
smiths - louder than bombs (at least this week)
bright eyes- wide awake
sufjan - illinois
devendra rejoicing in the hands
flaming lips - transmissions
wilco - ghost
police - ghost..
u2- pop
costello - my aim is true
libertines " "
miles- kind of blue
young - harvest
waits - mule
yorn - musicforthemorningafter

5 / Abbey Road / The Beatles

4 / Ok Computer / Radiohead

3 / Automatic For The People / R.E.M.

2 / Achtung Baby / U2

1 / How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb / U2

Last edited:
5 / Dreamland - Robert Miles

4 / (What's The Story) Morning Glory - Oasis

3 / Achtung Baby - U2

2 / The Stone Roses / The Stone Roses

1 / The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths

U2 ...

War
Pop
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire

Journey ...

Infinity
Evolution
Departure
Frontiers
Raised On Radio

Rush ...

Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure

Pink Floyd ...

The Wall
Dark Side Of The Moon
The Division Bell
Wish You Were Here
The Final Cut

The Police ...

Reggatta De Blanc
Ghost In The Machine
Synchronicity
Zenyatta Mondatta
Outlandos d' Amour

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

1. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
I don't really like anything apart from Passengers that U2 have done since Lovetown, but this still remains my favourite album of all time. No matter how anti-U2 I feel, the opening of ASOH always sucks me in and this album doesn't let go for an amazing eight track stretch.

2. Anathema - Judgement
Emotion. Progginess. Atmosphere by the truckload. This album is just about perfect.

3. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Certainly a thinking person's album. Very deep, and Steven Wilson is in top form, perfectly marrying prog talent with more pop-rock sensibilities. And his voice sounds amazing.

4. Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Put simply, this is what The Unforgettable Fire would sound like if it were a metal album. No wonder I love it.

5. Dream Theater - Awake
The closing trilogy is the best closing trilogy ever made apart from The Joshua Tree's Suite Of Death, and the rest of the album is pretty bloody amazing too. This is what prog's all about.

In no order

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
The Verve - Urban Hymns
The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia...

Ok. I love a huge variety of artists/bands, but my absolute favs are U2 and Madonna. My top 10 come from then, but since this is only 5....

5. Like A Prayer-Madonna
smallerLAP.jpg

4. Achtung Baby-U2
smallerAB.jpg

3. Joshua Tree-U2
smallerJT.jpg

2. Ray of Light-Madonna
smallerROL.jpg

1. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-U2
smallerHTDAAB.jpg

U2isthebest said:
Ok. I love a huge variety of artists/bands, but my absolute favs are U2 and Madonna. My top 10 come from then, but since this is only 5....

5. Like A Prayer-Madonna
smallerLAP.jpg

4. Achtung Baby-U2
smallerAB.jpg

3. Joshua Tree-U2
smallerJT.jpg

2. Ray of Light-Madonna
smallerROL.jpg

1. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-U2
smallerHTDAAB.jpg

ROL is better produced and it has a better finishing quality, but LAP is very strong and it has huge messages (Oh Father, Dear Jessie, Like A Prayer - album, not that shitty remix, Spanish Eyes:drool: )
However, the unfarly underrated American Life and Erotica are far superior to these 2 albums.

Aygo said:

ROL is better produced and it has a better finishing quality, but LAP is very strong and it has huge messages (Oh Father, Dear Jessie, Like A Prayer - album, not that shitty remix, Spanish Eyes:drool: )
However, the unfarly underrated American Life and Erotica are far superior to these 2 albums.

I can never decide if I like "AL" or "LAP" better. I think I usually go with "LAP" because I can relate to it more. (Yes, "Spanish Eyes" is one of my fav. Madonna songs, period. It's stunning) "AL" is absolutely brilliant and underrated especially by fans. "Erotica" is brilliant too. With the exception of the title track (althought I love the Erotica/You Thrill Me mix from the "Confessions" tour), and "Where Life Begins" it's perfect, and a lot deeper than it gets credit for. My fav. tracks are "Rain" and "Bad Girl". Everything on there is beautiful though. I also think "Bedtime Stories" is criminally underrated, but that's just a personal opinion. Madonna's best song to date though, in my opinion, is "Live To Tell" It's unbelievably powerful, and the fact that she actually made up most of the lyrics on the mic. is impressive. "Ray of Light" is her best album though, she was at the top of her game in terms of vocals and lyrics. She's always been a much better lyricist than she gets credit for, especially on her lesser-known songs.

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:

I can never decide if I like "AL" or "LAP" better. I think I usually go with "LAP" because I can relate to it more. (Yes, "Spanish Eyes" is one of my fav. Madonna songs, period. It's stunning) "AL" is absolutely brilliant and underrated especially by fans. "Erotica" is brilliant too. With the exception of the title track (althought I love the Erotica/You Thrill Me mix from the "Confessions" tour), and "Where Life Begins" it's perfect, and a lot deeper than it gets credit for. My fav. tracks are "Rain" and "Bad Girl". Everything on there is beautiful though. I also think "Bedtime Stories" is criminally underrated, but that's just a personal opinion. Madonna's best song to date though, in my opinion, is "Live To Tell" It's unbelievably powerful, and the fact that she actually made up most of the lyrics on the mic. is impressive. "Ray of Light" is her best album though, she was at the top of her game in terms of vocals and lyrics. She's always been a much better lyricist than she gets credit for, especially on her lesser-known songs.

AL is my fav Madonna album, because it's a very personal album (is not as political as many might think) and because it's because acoustic-based despite that electronic surface.
It is underrated because of the lead singles - the title-track and "Hollywood". "Easy Ride", "Intervention", "Nobody Knows Me" are amongst IMO her best tracks ever.
The same happens with Erotica that suffered with the sex abuse of products (the "Sex" book and the "Body Of Evidence" bad movie). Almost all tracks (with the exception of "Waiting" and the average "Thief Of Hearts") are just stunningly brilliant. My fav ones are "Secret Garden", "Bad Girl", "Rain" and "Erotica". I don't like the "you thrill me" version she made of "Erotica" for her most recent tour, I prefer the original version.
Bedtime Stories is great too, it has huge tunes and that album would sell like hotcakes today because it's pure R&B (except the title track) and the album seems very actual.
I agree that "Live To Tell" is one of her best tracks ever (and one of the best ballads of the 80's), but my favourite Madonna song is "Oh Father".

You gave me an idea... stay tuned...

born_run_xl.jpg

B0000AZAUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

298921_CD_L_F.jpg

B000001DTM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000002UAR.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alright Radiohead buddies, I know how I was defending The Bends a while back, but I've listened to OK Computer about 10 times in the past week and it has replaced The Bends as my favorite Radiohead album.

The rest of the albums up here, listen to them, right now.

ok computer, achtung baby and revolver/abbey road all seem to be among many u2 fans' favourite albums.

U2Man said:
ok computer, achtung baby and revolver/abbey road all seem to be among many u2 fans' favourite albums.

:yes:

And Born To RUn is an excellent selection, LMP. :drool: Although Ziggy Stardust wouldn't even be in my top 5 Bowie albums. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom