Young Dubliners, Seven Nations, and Great Big Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Last night a friend of mine called and asked me if I wanted to go to this concert down at the Minnesota Zoo (her hubby wasn't feeling well and couldn't go). Having heard mention of Seven Nations from some friends and having heard a few songs of Great Big Sea from her, I said sure thing and off we went.

It was held in a small outdoor ampitheatre and the oppressive muggy weather was not all that fun, but the bands made up for it with some rollicking good tunes. Young Dubliners were kinda Celtic rock and had a good time teasing the crowd as well. *damn those Irish accents* Seven Nations was also Celtic rock, but with a noticeable emphasis on the rock. lol. Their lead singer had a bit of a Jim Morrison look going on, which was a bit funny in the context, but what the hey. :huh: More fun times.

Great Big Sea billed themselves as hailing from the "exotic island of Newfoundland" (which made me think of Basstrap) and were a total riot. Lots of drinking songs, plenty of tongue-twisting machine-gun paced lyrics, and a lot of humor all around. btw, their lead singer was sporting a total JT Bono hairstyle (that one length do that you can flip over your head in the midst of a guitar solo) which made me think of PLEBA. :D The fact that it was in the Zoo, and the GBS guy kept making jokes about the 'zoo tour' also was good for some inner laughs. Zoo Tour, indeed. ;)

Annnnyways, a good summer night was had by all. And Canada, if you're going to export a band, let it be GBS and not BNL, ok? :sexywink:

don't really like they're music but they are fun shows!! I was at one a couple years ago.

I see them sometimes walking around town.
Saw the guitar player in a second hand cd store once! and passed Doyle walking down the street humming tunes and drinking coffee

I despise Great Big Sea. When you grow up in Newfoundland, you hear it non-stop... their music is like nails on a chalkboard.

Barenaked Ladies on the other hand are immensely talented musicians and songwriters. Unfortunately, they broke into the US with a few annoying songs. However, they are pretty original and creative, considering that they are the only band on the radio that sounds like that. (Everyone else is trying to sound like Matchbox, Creed, or Limp Bizkit.) Their live show is worth 50 bucks... they're making up songs on the spot, joking with the audience, changing lyrics, etc. etc. Go to one of their shows and you'll never feel the same about their music.

wow, vitriol from the newfies. :lol: tell us how you really feel.

oh well. I can't say I'm going to go out and buy CDs from either band, but I did enjoy this show. Chalk it up to being an ignorant and idiotic American who doesn't know any better. :p

and BNL are overrated.

i like GBS even though they are played to death here on the east coast of canada. i'm not from newfoundland but i can just imagine that they are played to death there.

karma police... arrest this girl...

I'd rather listen to Creed.

But I'm glad you had a great time Sula! :happy:

I've seen Young Dubliners and I like them live.

A good, energetic show.

In fact they're coming around next month I think, with the groups you mentioned above.

Maybe I'll check em out

Thanks!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom