You want an example of bad sportsmanship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it make me a poor sport if I say I would have grabbed the guy and bashed his head into the goalpost?

I really wish youtube had some system for comment filtering and stuff.

At least the comments in this vid aren't as bad as some of the ones I've seen in my (many) hours spent watching videos on youtube.

Edited: This portion open to being misconstrued, with apologies to randhail.

Last edited:
I didn't post the video with the intention of anyone putting soccer down - it was just to show what a complete douchebag looks like. It would be no different if this was American football where it happened. No need to have the chip on your shoulder :wink:

randhail said:
It would be no different if this was American football where it happened. No need to have the chip on your shoulder :wink:

I've seen several plays where some guy breaks free for a TD, stops at the 1-yard line, taunts the opposing players, then steps in.

i must admit, when i first watched that i couldn't help but laugh. It was quite funny i have to admit. However it is very bad sportsmanship and if i was a China fan or one of the players i'd be extremely annoyed.

Personally, I like it when players do their thing and don't make a big scene of it. This is a big reason I love LT so much (apart from the fact that I used to go to TCU games when he was running around there.) He scores, gives the ball to the ref, and gets off the field.

However, I think showmanship is a big part of sports these days. While this Iraqi player annoyed me, I don't see anything in it worth getting sand in my crotch over. In many ways, showboating, taunting, and the like are just the way modern sports are played. Again, this is why someone like LT is so refreshing.

Hmm seems like a good (bad?) week for poor sportsmanship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6168147.stm

And video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ObXmALrRk

An explanation, for those who don't follow cricket.

One of the ways in which a batsman may be out is 'run out', when a member of the fielding side breaks the stumps while the batsman's bat is not grounded within the crease.

Sri Lanka in this case were under the cosh from the New Zealanders, and this was their final partnership, that is, if either batsman got out their innings would close and the New Zealanders would chase the run target.

Sangakarra, the Sri Lankan wicket-keeper, had just completed his century, which was bloody amazing because I think he managed to score more than his team-mates combined. Muralitharan, who was batting with him, grounded his bat in the crease but left to congratulate Sangakarra before the umpire had declared the ball 'dead'; McCullum, the NZ keeper, promptly ran him out.

Was this an unfair dismissal? No. And the result (a five-wicket win for New Zealand) probably would not have been affected if Murali had remained at the crease, because Murali is not recognised as one of the world's premier batsmen. But it was totally unsporting, and I think the Lankans have a right to feel aggrieved.

Then there's Shane Warne throwing the ball back at his keeper Adam Gilchrist in Brisbane not too long ago. KP just managed to get his head out of the way.

inmyplace13 said:
Personally, I like it when players do their thing and don't make a big scene of it. This is a big reason I love LT so much (apart from the fact that I used to go to TCU games when he was running around there.) He scores, gives the ball to the ref, and gets off the field.

LT :up:

Although the more I hear him speak in interviews, the more I think he's doing a lot of it for the cameras. I absolutely say he's a classy guy, but when you set the NFL single-season TD record, it is a big deal. LT seemed like he could care less during the press conference. It disappointed me a bit that he didn't seem to be genuinely excited at the fact that he'd done something nobody ever had before.

That being said, if I was on the opposing team and someone did that to me (especially at the end of a 1-0 close match) I'd start a fight right then and there. Maybe that has something to do with only ever really playing hockey, but if someone humiliated me like that (that's what this is, an attempt at gross humiliation) on the playing field I'd flatten them.

The video is ultimately funny because #10 will end up being executed at some point in that soccer stadium for kicks by Iranian rulers.

:(

^I'm wondering the exact same thing! (though even if someone tells me his full name I doubt I'll be any the wiser :wink: )

yertle-the-turtle said:
Muralitharan, who was batting with him, grounded his bat in the crease but left to congratulate Sangakarra before the umpire had declared the ball 'dead'; McCullum, the NZ keeper, promptly ran him out.

The cheeky git!!!

LT is LaDanian Tomlinson. He plays a bastardized form of rugby which we North Americans call "football".

I thought LT was a bloke called Lawrence Taylor who played this bastardized rugby thing but more importantly also defeated Scott 'Bam Bam' Bigelow at Wrestlemania in 1995.

Back
Top Bottom