You think you've heard everything...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I always think I'm on the cutting edge of music, and have really heard everything worth hearing...but then, I get surprised. :|

I listened to Marquee Moon by Television for the first time today, and can honestly say that it's one of the best records of the 70's. :drool: Such great guitar playing, passionate vocals, and great songs. It's not that what is played is all that difficult, but it's that it just keeps on COMING! I'd heard Marquee Moon (the song) before, but hearing it again today...I was like this :shocked: the whole time.

Zeppelin + Yes + Sex Pistols = Television :heart:

Thank you for your time. :up:

Canadiens1160 recommended Marquee Moon to me and I've been a Television fan ever since! It's a brilliant album. The guitar duelling between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd is superb. I don't think there is a single bad song on it. It did take me a while to get used to the odd timing in the chorus of Elevation, however.

GibsonGirl said:
It did take me a while to get used to the odd timing in the chorus of Elevation, however.

Yes, I noticed that too.

The only song I don't care for so far is Torn Curtains...that's it. The rest is all gold. :up:

For some reason Torn Curtain reminds me of Shadows and Tall Trees quite a lot in the closing slot on the album.

See No Evil is now one of my favourite album openers. When I record my awesome chimey rock album, I want an opener like that

:drool:

Canadiens1160 said:
See No Evil is now one of my favourite album openers. When I record my awesome chimey rock album, I want an opener like that

:drool:

If you make an opener like that, I'll buy the whole album. :up:

LemonMelon said:
I always think I'm on the cutting edge of music, and have really heard everything worth hearing...but then, I get surprised. :|

Never assume this, there's way to much music out there for anyone to have ever heard everything "important" in their life time. The more you hear, the more you realize is out there.

Anyways, yeah, lots of people accuse Edge of ripping Television off. They definiitely have a point, at least to an extent.

I think Verlaine is Edge's favorite guitar player... or something?

anyway... I love Marquee Moon too, "See No Evil" and "Marquee Moon" are my favorite songs, but the whole record is awesome

Jack In The Box said:

anyway... I love Marquee Moon too, "See No Evil" and "Marquee Moon" are my favorite songs, but the whole record is awesome

word, same here

I don't get it when people say Edge "ripped off" Verlaine though. There is influence certainly, especially in really early U2 (like, Street Mission - listen to the way Bono sings, too), but I've never heard Edge do anything like the solo on Marquee Moon, for example. Edge's style is more minimalist and of course made heavy use of delay.

Television is a great band, but my musical discovery peaked when I found an old 2 Live Crew tape in my attic.

"Me So Horny" mayhaps? :love:

AtomicBono said:

word, same here

I don't get it when people say Edge "ripped off" Verlaine though. There is influence certainly, especially in really early U2 (like, Street Mission - listen to the way Bono sings, too), but I've never heard Edge do anything like the solo on Marquee Moon, for example. Edge's style is more minimalist and of course made heavy use of delay.

Exactly. I hear it, but I don't think it's quite as obvious a "rip-off" as some might say. :|

AtomicBono said:

Same here. I hear more of Will Sergeant (Echo And The Bunnymen) and Bernard Sumner (Joy Division) in The Edge's early playing, to be quite honest.

Bernard Sumner. :drool: My favourite guitar player ever.

Marquee Moon is a great song. I don't care too much for the album, but the song is awesome. I just listened to it for the first time in a month about an hour ago. It was really good to hear it again.

Bernard Sumner. :drool: We actually haven't had a Joy Division droolfest in here for a long time. This should be rectified.

Yes, Marquee Moon is brilliant. And strange for a punk / post-punk (I can't remember what they're classified as) band to have a song over ten minutes long!

Ha, I've no idea. :lol: A wikipedia article on post-punk speculates that Television should be labelled as a predecessor to post-punk, even though they share traits with a lot of post-punk bands. It then goes on to say that Television could actually be classified as core punk.

These classification systems make my head spin. I hate labels and genres. It would be easier if we could just do away with them entirely. But anyway, it still is a bit rare to hear a band with mostly punk influences playing a song over ten minutes. Maybe they're prog-punk! Now there's an oxymoron.

the best band you've ever heard has already recorded their last album. And you haven't even heard their first album yet. New music isn't stuff recorded today. It's stuff you haven't heard yet.

If you shout... said:
The only thing wrong with Marquee Moon is the fact that it was followed up by Adventure.

*shudder*

I haven't bought Adventure yet. I assume this is a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom