"You kids have it easy" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2002, 07:54 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Big Grin "You kids have it easy"

My sister sent me this e-mail.....

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill both ways through year 'round blizzards carrying their younger siblings on their backs to their one-room schoolhouse where they maintained a straight-A average
despite their full-time after-school job at the local textile mill where they worked for 35 cents an hour just to help keep their family from starving to death!
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
But....
Now that I've reached my thirties, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so damn easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darned Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't even know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet--we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves!
And there was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter with a pen!-- and then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!
And there were no MP3s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to go to the record store and shoplift it yourself!
Try sticking an LP Album under your jacket, buddy!
Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up!
You want to hear about hardship?
We didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your drug dealer, you didn't know!!! You just had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
And we didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation videogames with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like Space Invaders" and "Asteroids" and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win, the game just kept getting harder and faster until you died!
Just like LIFE!
When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! A tall guy sat in front of you, you were screwed!
And sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 20 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
And there was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning... ...D'ya hear what the hell I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy!
You're spoiled, I swear to God! You guys wouldn't last five minutes back in the 80's!

Old 12-30-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Why can't they be like we were
Perfect in every way
What's the matter with kids today?

p.s. I didn't even have a record store to go to when I was a kid. I had to order them from a record club. With the money I got picking up bottles and cans from the side of the road.

Old 12-30-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up!
there are some songs from the late 70's, early 80's that I almost expect to hear the DJ talking on at the end because I listened to them so much on my homemade mix tapes. Oh, those were the days.

damn kids today...try getting up to change the channel or use a 5 pound remote control clicker.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:31 PM

Quote:

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your drug dealer, you didn't know!!!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-30-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
She's the One

Re: Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

.try getting up to change the channel or use a 5 pound remote control clicker.
Or using a VCR remote that's attached to the machine by a little cord that you would trip over all the time!
Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sad but SOO TRUE
Old 12-30-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Our first cable box didn't have a remote. It had just a bunch of buttons on the top of the box.

I remember recording songs off of Z100 in New york. Oh, those were the days......
Old 12-30-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:31 PM
the only problem I have with kids and technology these days is that it's turning them into fat fucks.
they don't DO anything active anymore; as soon as they come home from school they're on the computer, or the xbox, or the tv.
when I was a kid we ran around like shitheads for hours until we got tired and collapsed.
but I was never overweight.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
War Child

Re: Re: Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Or using a VCR remote that's attached to the machine by a little cord that you would trip over all the time!
Oh my god I hated those things!!!

They were the work of the devil I tells ya.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

When I was a kid, that was the kind of VCR I had in my room...I used to always chew the cord too.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #11
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

they don't DO anything active anymore; as soon as they come home from school they're on the computer, or the xbox, or the tv.
Fuckin' A tell me about it. You ask them to write about their summer and you get two paragraphs where every other sentence is "Then I played my X-box." That's it! No games outside, no family time, just the fucking X-box.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 12-30-2002, 11:41 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

When I was a kid, that was the kind of VCR I had in my room...I used to always chew the cord too.
Hmmmm, this explains sooooooooooooooooo (takes a breath) oooooooooo much!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 11:43 PM   #13
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "You kids have it easy"

Quote:

Hmmmm, this explains sooooooooooooooooo (takes a breath) oooooooooo much!!!
It's like "Pick On Kat Night" or something.

Old 12-31-2002, 02:08 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 10:31 AM
this is great

bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! i love it!

i'm so gonna print this out and give it to my teacher when school starts on Monday; he'll get a kick outta it i'm sure! (hes an 80's kid)

...i remember the Atari; i used to have one...i remember when me and my dad would sit and play this one ping-pong game and then there was this other one w/ monsters and another one with spaceships.....lol. oh, the memories! ...and this, mind you, was only in the early 90's (?) maybe late 80's (i'm only 18)
...now i'm off to revisit my past and go search Atari's on E-bay!

Old 12-31-2002, 02:15 AM   #15
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

We had two Atari sets when I was little...we still have them somewhere. My mom's fave game was River Raid, and I loved Pitfall, even though I sucked at it. Dad liked Mega Blaster...or something like that...and my sister liked Grand Prix.