Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots better than the last two studio releases by Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
"Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" the latest album by The Flaming Lips is so much better than the last two studio albums released by Radiohead. Hey, I can readily admit when one band's genius surpasses another's. That is the case with The Flaming Lips. I wish I can say I rallied behind this band for ten years, like I was some kind of a super fan or something. To be honest I only remembered one song by them, 93 or 94's "She Don't Use Jelly." Which was a minor hit back then. I hadn't heard one blip on the music radar from them since. It was about 2 months ago when I was watching TV and saw a commercial for their new album. The commercial featured animation based on the album cover as well as used the song "Do You Realize." Then came the "Wow, I remember that band" thought. Someday when I attain a lot of money I should go out and purchase some of their back catalog. Supposedly they have other albums that are good as the latest one. The "Soft Bulliten," for example. I still vividly remember seeing them perform "She Don't Use Jelly" on a television show back in 1994 and my cousin was in the room with me and he declared "They can barely play their instruments!" Yeah, okay.

i have no idea what you wrote, but i think you are wrong.

i used to hate radiohead's new musical direction, but it is growing on me.

'yoshimi...' is nothing compared to 'the soft bulletin.' and 'the soft bulletin' barely approaches 'kid a' & 'amnesiac' is quality.

sorry, I disagree, I'm not a fan of the Flaming Lips, I'm sure you'll find some people to agree with you though, but regardless, you said nothing about why they are better than Radiohead

uh ya, exacly how is it better than radioheads last two cds?

and why does it matter? whats the point in the comparison?

where are you going with this?

Yes, the comparison does seem a bit out of left-field.

I know next to nothing about the Flaming Lips, though as it happens I have heard their latest quite a lot recently, and enjoy it greatly. Not sure what to make of it though: concept albums have always seemed kinda dodgy to me, and there are some seriously awful lyrics in there (cause she knows/it'd be tragic/if those evil machines win). As well as some great ones. It's a mixed bag. Who are these robots, anyway? Is this the Flaming Lips' 'OK Computer'?

I dunno about the 'genius' thing. Nobody's a genius really, it's just 99 per cent hard work and a spark of inspiration. I believe that Radiohead surpassed just about everyone long ago, but that's merely a personal position. I can't even begin to imagine where I could tackle such a debate. Um, who's got the better singer? Guitar solos? They don't do solos... Fuck, I dunno...

Again, the comparison befuddles me. Same with Coldplay. Whatever you think of them, they are NOT Radiohead Lite - they are Coldplay. Muse may be (Bends-era) Radiohead lite, but that's another story.

I've been a fan of the Flaming Lips since The Soft Bulletin, which is an amazing album, but I gotta say it has lost a fair bit of its impact with many listens. Still, I much prefer it to Kid A, but like the others here have pointed out, not much of a comparison. You've probably convinced me to get the Yoshimi thing though, been stalling on that for a while.

oh yeah, hah, i forgot i posted this. so yeah, it's just that i have been listening to yoshimi non stop for the past few days. so i just came to the conclusion that , in my opinion, the album is better than kid a and amnesiac. both albums i do own. but yeah, it's just opinion really, you cannot argue opinion.

those kind of arguments can get nasty.

yoshimi is quite amazing,
and I thik you should give it a chace, wanderer, it seems like it would certainly fit into your tastes

I don't think it's as good as kid a, but I would listen to Yoshini over amnesiac anyday

the freaking album just flows so beautifully and the mood and atmosphere is perfect

and the best part is the basslines...they are so very interesting and catchy

quite a great album!

I have heard Soft Bulletin is even better?!?!?! but I have not heard it yet

it must be a gem if that holds true

there's no comparison

we owe our allegiance to yoshimi
she won't let those robots eat us
not to mention she takes lots of vitamins
cause she knows that it'd be tragic if those evil robots win
uh-huh uh-huh

4a

throwaway posts are a good time:

Basstrap said:
the freaking album just flows so beautifully and the mood and atmosphere is perfect

I have heard Soft Bulletin is even better?!?!?! but I have not heard it yet

it must be a gem if that holds true
:yes:! (about the 1st part) I can't get enough of Yoshimi right now... i absolutely love the melodies throughout. haha i've heard some people say they love Pink Robots Part 2, and some people say they hate it. i'd say it's growing on me. Do You Realize seriously blows me away though.. Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell, Fight Test.. such great songs.
DEFINITELY get Soft Bulletin!! it's too hard for me to say which one i like better. as of now i think i'd have to say Yoshimi... but (luckily) the Lips are the never do the same thing twice type, so each album has it's merits. I still need to get Zaireeka though. :silent:

anyway, i agree w/ everyone else- that some comparisons can't be made.

perhaps you are right, basstrap, my only real knowledge of them is that vasoline song and the occasional tune I overheard

give me 5 or 6 songs that I should d/l

Yoshimi is good but I still think Kid A and Amnesiac are the better albums.

Wanderer, you should download:

Fight Test
One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21
Do You Realize

OR you could listen to the whole album live streaming at www.flaminglips.com

morning of magicians!!
and
ego tripping at the gates of hell

the bass lines and bass tones on these songs are incredible

as is the song structure

fairly depressing though

Back