Yoga Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm just curious to see who here does yoga. I've been thinking of giving it a try, but I'm not the most coordinated person on the planet. As for that, how hard is it for someone like me? I'm sure with lots of practice, it would get easier, but I'm just curious...and also, I know that yoga is excellent for peace of mind, meditation, etc. but what about the physical aspects? How has is changed/shaped your body? Any info is appreciated.

:)

I was thinking about trying it at an egagement party I have to go to in DC this weekend...

I havent done Yoga but my best friend did it this year and he absolutely ADORED it!!!!!!

HE is fairly flexible and stuff but he said even someone like me (he mocks me cus im not co-ordinated at ALL) learns quickly and easily and encouraged me to do it this year! :D

I say go for it! :up: :)

yoda.jpg

doh! Yoga, not Yoda! :eyebrow: :eeklaugh: :mac:

jk lol! :tongue:

We used to do yoga in my dance class. The thought of it makes me cringe. The stretches make my knees and hips crack. I'm such a mess. You have to be really flexible to do any of the intense stuff.

Of course, people will tell you that intense yoga isn't really yoga, because you neglect the mental benefits of yoga. Which is probably true.

I'll take cardio aerobics anyday.

I used to do it more..I don't do it as much anymore. It is fantastic. It makes you feel good, you get a good work out, and feel energized after it. I am not coordnated at all, but it's still doable. Start off with beginners stuff and work up and don't push yourself too hard and you'll be fine. I am actually more coordnated now and really flexible :yes: I suggest you try it!

Hi LadyLemon!
i've been practising yoga for 4-5 years and there really is something for everyone. There are many different types - the one i do is called ashtanga or power yoga and is very strenuous - quite a cardio workout in addition to the flexibility and strength of yoga. If you are just starting out, you might want to try a slower type such as iyengar or hatha.
You might want to start out with a videotape at home to see how you like it, but i think that taking a class is a good idea because the instructor can help you out with your form.
Yoga has changed my body tremendously, especially my arms and abs. it's also very relaxing because its one of the only times i really feel 'in the moment'. i love it!

heart.gif

i have done yoga for almost 20 years. i am now at the stage where you are so flexible, tieing yourself in a knot is possible. yesterday i made myself into a 18th century caracel.

I've taken some yoga classes at my gym here and absolutely loved it. The sort we do is a cross between a power and a hatha (sp?) yoga. You don't have to be a gymnast to do it. I certainly am NOT flexible. It helps in that regard tho...I notice that when I do attend classes, my flexibility and strength increases. I'd encourage you to give it a try. :up:

now if I could just find the time to make it to class again.... :huh:

I have good intentions Lady lemon. I bought a video "Simply Yoga" a few weeks ago,hmmmm haven't opened it yet.

A woman who is older than me, but has children the same age, took up yoga a few years ago. She is now teaching it and is a great example of it's benefits. We work together sometimes at out kid's school and when she notices my stiffness she does the "tutt tutt" routine and tells me to come to yoga class.

So thank you for the reminder...actually my sister is coming to visit today...she'll put a bomb under me, she is pathetically fit and flexible AND 4 years older than me.

So YES, I'm interested in Yoga too, hopefully a practicioner asap.

hehe. thanks to this thread, I am reminded that there is a yoga class at my gym tonite. So I think I shall make time to go. :up:

Thanks to all who replied. :) I'm going to give it a shot, but am going to try a beginner's video first and see what happens. Cheers!

i forgot to mention that my yoga teacher is 55 yrs old and is so incredibly fit and flexible. that in itself is inspiration!

I don't know if starting with a video is really such a good thing to do. The importance of breathing is not stressed in those videos and and I think you are robbing yourself of a true Yoga workout. I took a yoga class last summer and I really liked it. The thing with yoga is you have to do it at least three times a week, to really reap the benefits. I have since bought a tape and tried it at home, and it proved to be a good review of positions I have already learned in class, but it skipped past all the really crucial stuff about proper posture and breathing. You could really injure yourself if you are not doing it properly. A trained instructor will spend the time with you in a beginners class, to make sure your postures correct and that combined with the breathing, you get an incredible workout. You won't feel it so much the next day... but two days after your yoga workout.... have fun getting out of bed. ;) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom