yoga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
I?m relatively new to yoga but very much interested. I was wondering if there are others out here, who practise yoga.

I?ve been reading that both Sting and Madonna practise ashtanga yoga. It sounds pretty good and I?d like to learn it. Has anyone any adivice for a newbie???

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

Hi AM!
I've been practising yoga for about 2 or 3 years now. I do Ashtanga yoga. I started out doing some other kind (not sure, might have been Kundalini) but then that teacher at my gym got pregnant and was replaced with the new instructor, who taught Ashtanga. Now it's the only kind I really want to do. I've even looked in to teaching it myself. It's an incredible workout. It's one of the only times where I really feel 'in the moment' and my mind isn't wandering to 50 other things.

New people who attend the class tend to get a little discouraged sometimes. What I tell them is that it's not a competition..everyone has to start out, and just do what you are able to do and take rests when you need to. Get what you can out of it.

Definitely give it a try. I bet you will love it. There are other forms of yoga that are more gentle, but like I said, once I tried Ashtanga I never went back to the others.

One other thing, I would suggest taking a class as opposed to using a video tape..that way you can get feedback from the instructor. I think you will find it much more useful.

Good luck! Let me know how you like it if you try it.

Hey Fritzy, cool that you like yoga as well. I?ve been doing judo now for 17 years and I go jogging at least 3 times a week. So I?m pretty fit. But during the last few years, I?ve got some serious injuries (judo), which have prevented me from working out as I want to do it.

I?ve heard and seen that Ashtanga is pretty physical, and that?s exactly what I want. A gentle but good physical workout with all the benefits of yoga.

Unfortunately there are NO yoga classes where I live, so tapes would be my only option. I know it?s not great, but what else can I do? Do you know of any good tapes?

Or, you?ll give me some lessons in Dublin. We could listen to the U2 concert with our legs behind our heads
biggrin.gif

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 08-09-2001).]

hahahaha!

Well, being fit will definitely be a help..but you will be surprised at the muscles that you will use that you didn't know you had lol...

As far as tapes, the 'Living Arts' series is really good, especially the ones with Rodney Yee. I think there is a power yoga tape in the series but I don't have that one. They are available online at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.

Hey, Rodney Yee was in Oprah last nite (we are a bit late, I know). He seem?s to be really good.

So is this power yoga he?s doing some sort of Ashtanga??? Forgive me, but I?m a newbie.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom