yo yo quick help yo!! If you know anything about the UN...or anything help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
um, i know very little about the UN, but just guessing wouldn't the government enforce the laws? or perhahps the UN security? :shrug:

Poor misguided ABEL...

I enforce the laws.

They call me the law enforcer.

That's because I enforce the laws.

If I had the answers, they'd call me the answer girl.

They'd call me that because I'd have the answers.

I think that international law itself upholds the laws. Basically it's more or less an honor system. The threat of getting in trouble diplomatically is usually more than enough to discourage ignorance of the laws.

Although in some nation's cases that doesn't scare them... *coughWar on Iraqcough*

That depends on the law/ treaty you want to be passed.

There are several bodies within the UN. First, every country is a member. Every state has its very own laws, which are not influenced by the UN, and additionally there are international law & treaties. Many of them are worked out by the diplomats in the UN organisations or specialized agencies (which are more independent than the UN organisations). Then, every country decides to sign and ratificate them, or not. The decision-process is complicated, because every country has its interests. Countries tend to organise in groups (f.e., the group of Micro-States. Oceania is part of that group, many small islands in the pacific. Alone, they would not have enough influence in the UN. In the group, they could be interested in international sea/ maritime law, etc., and to compromise in things their states are not so interested in, in order to get a yes from a big state for sth. they are interested in... means possible diplomatic exhange decision process).

If you?re not a politician or a diplomat, or also big multinational player, it is unlikely that you are going to be able to "pass" a treaty. But the UN organisations are very interested in the NGOs as well. After all, their decision process aims to be influenced by civil society. So, it depends on where you want to get involved.

As to the inauguration of the International Criminal Court:

From http://www.icc-cpi.int/php/show.php?id=history

The International Criminal Court (ICC) was established by the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court on 17 July 1998, when 120 States participating in the "United Nations Diplomatic Conference of Plenipotentiaries on the Establishment of an International Criminal Court" adopted the Statute. This is the first ever permanent, treaty based, international criminal court established to promote the rule of law and ensure that the gravest international crimes do not go unpunished.

The Statute sets out the Court's jurisdiction, structure and functions and it provides for its entry into force 60 days after 60 States have ratified or acceded to it. The 60th instrument of ratification was deposited with the Secretary General on 11 April 2002, when 10 countries simultaneously deposited their instruments of ratification. Accordingly, the Statute entered into force on 1 July 2002. Anyone who commits any of the crimes under the Statute after this date will be liable for prosecution by the Court.

With the coming into force of the Rome Treaty, the Advance Team for the International Criminal Court began work on 1st July 2002. Its mandate ceased at the end of October.

The Team consisted of eight technical experts in, amongst other things, human resources, finance, building and facilities management, information technology, legal matters, and security. With the Host State, the Team was doing preparatory ground work to enable the Court to start recruiting and commence its basic operations when it formally begins its work.

Relationship with United Nations
The International Criminal Court is an independent international organisation. In accordance with article 2 of the Rome Statute, the relationship with the United Nations system is governed by an agreement that has been approved by the Assembly of States Parties and will be concluded by the President of the Court on its behalf.

From http://www.iccnow.org/

The Coalition for the International Criminal Court is a network of over 2,000 non-governmental organizations (NGOs) advocating for a fair, effective and independent International Criminal Court (ICC).

The NGO Coalition for the ICC has grown to well over 1000 members since its creation in 1995. Prior to the Rome Conference in 1998, much of the work being undertaken on the ICC was at United Nations headquarters in New York, where a draft treaty was being developed. Since the adoption of the treaty in Rome, many more NGOs worldwide have become involved in the process, focusing on ensuring widespread ratification of the treaty and its effective implementation, generating widespread support through media outreach and public education and building networks to maximize the effectiveness of all those involved.

In the next phases of the campaign, NGOs will also be focusing on ensuring that information and training is provided to key officials and other stakeholders at the national and international level. They will also work to ensure that the Court?s structures are put in place as quickly as possible, and will begin to prepare for the work of the Court itself.

If you are memeber of an NGO, the Non Governmental Organisation can get involved. For further information, read

http://www.iccnow.org/gettinginvolved/ideasforinvolvement.html

To get an overview of the United Nations System, check

http://www.un.org/aboutun/chart.html

:)

Last edited:
Damn! I worked for the UN for a while and I don't know the answer. Shame on me!:huh:

But I suppose the UNHCR doesn't have anything to do with enforcing laws, so...:|

Back
Top Bottom