Yo MTV Raps! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Yo MTV Raps!

Yo MTV Raps is 20 years old apparently. So they're showing a Top 20 countdown on MTV2 right now, full of old school rap and hip hop from the late 80s, early 90s!

http://www.mtv.com/music/yo_mtv_raps/
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Thanks, I now have the theme song aka the Ed Lover dance stuck in my head.




























__________________

__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Nuthin But a G Thang is coming up!

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 03:35 PM


You know, back when all that was out I never got into it much but I really like some of it now.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
You know, back when all that was out I never got into it much but I really like some of it now.
Exactly the same here! I was never much into rap and hip hop back then but now I see it with nostalgic eyes.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
5 songs left...

#5 Fight The Power - Public Enemy

#4 Warning - Notorious BIG

#3 Keep Your Head Up - 2Pac

#2 Run's House - Run DMC


#1 Nuthin But A G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop "Doggy" Dogg Gotta love that bass!

That was fun. lol.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,393
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
5 songs left...

#5 Fight The Power - Public Enemy

#4 Warning - Notorious BIG

#3 Keep Your Head Up - 2Pac

#2 Run's House - Run DMC


#1 Nuthin But A G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop "Doggy" Dogg Gotta love that bass!

That was fun. lol.
That's MTV's Top 20 rap videos?
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


That's MTV's Top 20 rap videos?
Nooo... it was just a Top 20 videos list from that show which lasted from the mid 80s to the mid 90s I guess. So basically they just showcased the stuff that was popular on MTV in those days... east coast rap from the 80s and west coast gangsta rap from the 90s etc. I don't know if they're claiming that these are the best rap songs of all time. Who knows! Anyway, I only posted the Top 5 because I didn't pay much attention beyond that. lol.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Side note: I'm taking an Anthropology of Hip-Hop class right now, and we got the honor of speaking to Fab 5 Freddy (host of Yo! MTV Raps) last week. He's a very down to earth guy, and he even had us do a call and response with him.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
Side note: I'm taking an Anthropology of Hip-Hop class right now, and we got the honor of speaking to Fab 5 Freddy (host of Yo! MTV Raps) last week. He's a very down to earth guy, and he even had us do a call and response with him.
Haha that's very cool!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,393
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


Nooo... it was just a Top 20 videos list from that show which lasted from the mid 80s to the mid 90s I guess. So basically they just showcased the stuff that was popular on MTV in those days... east coast rap from the 80s and west coast gangsta rap from the 90s etc. I don't know if they're claiming that these are the best rap songs of all time. Who knows! Anyway, I only posted the Top 5 because I didn't pay much attention beyond that. lol.
Even if it is just late 80's-early 90's, that's a terrible list.

__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


Even if it is just late 80's-early 90's, that's a terrible list.

lol. that's top 40 for you I guess.

why? what would your list look like? :P
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,950
Local Time: 03:35 PM

Yo! was the shiznit.
__________________
MrPryck2U is online now  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,393
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


lol. that's top 40 for you I guess.

why? what would your list look like? :P
I'm not falling for that one, that would keep me up all night working on it!

I guess I ought not to expect much from MTV, but Yo! MTV Raps was a fairly legit show back then.

__________________

__________________
DaveC is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com