Y'know, it pisses me off when extra tracks are added to cd releases of vinyl records

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
It does!

:mad:

For example, Los Angeles is a perfectly great album. Just the right mix and amount of songs. But the cd has like four extra tracks, mostly demos, that fuck up the rhythm and balance of the album.

Same with Face Dances. It worked well enough on vinyl, but the cd has about four extra songs, a few of which are live tracks, that also fuck up the balance.

Sun City and A Night at the Opera, same deal.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You have a very good point.
Thats why I like what Robert Smith is doing with The Cure remasters, expanding them to two discs each.
The first disc being the album, the second disc being related bonus material.
A. It doesnt screw up the flow of the album
B. Allows more room for bonus material.

indeed.

But Deluxe Editions by bands like the Who have been quite intriguing. Hearing Who's Next through the ideal portal of Townshend's Lifehouse project was a welcome change in the album dynamic. Although it is somewhat choppy now, you can get a sense for the composition they were trying to achieve.

how does it ruin the flow of the album? don't they just tack these extras to the end?

The album was designed to tell a story. The artist selected the tracks and put them in the order that would best suit the music. Imagine JT rereleased with a few outakes or demos tacked on the end after MOD. Or AB with some later producer's remixes added after Blindness. The whole record is thrown off. I'd rather have two choices: either the original album or the rerelease. Let the buyer decide which one she wants.

Martha, I totally agree with you.
For a while I didn't mind the bonus tracks, but I get more appreciation for The Album. You have songs ordered in a certain way, you have a flow. By adding extra tracks to the end you throw the album totally off balance! :mad:
There are only a few albums where the bonus tracks do not distract, but generally they do. In a few days I hope to receive my ordered Elvis Costello re-issue of Trust. Like the coming Cure releases (apparently) it is a 2-disc set. First disc is the original album, the second is filled with bonus material.

With my coming vinyl-mindset I'm also starting to look what the original side A was and side B. Often an album makes more sense when you know when one side ends and another begins. But that is probably subject for another thread. :)

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Grace is the last song on ATYCLB, period.
P.P.S. The three added singles (+ B-sides) in order before the running order of Are You Experienced? by the Jimi Hendrix Experience do not throw the album off balance, period.

Back
Top Bottom