Yippee-Ki-Yay, Interference - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 AM
I never said 24 is shit or anything like that. I haven't seen it enough to make that kind of judgment. I've seen several episodes though and I really can't stand the show; the dialog, the imposing and relentless visual style, the sound design, the characters, etc. But like I said, I never watched it enough to make a full judgment, but I'd never want to. I hated the few episodes I hate to sit through, and the fact that it's so huge and I have to hear about it all the time, and all my friends at college were obsessed with it...just wears on me. And Jack Bauer is one of the most annoying "heroes" I've seen on TV recently. He just bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

As for the badass thing, let me think about some good example for a little while. (for the record, I actually did see that episode where he bit that guy's neck. Everyone in the room gasped and cheers, and I was left thinking 'well that was predictable'). But I like my badassery to be more subtle. I think "badass" has more to do with attitude than actions. I personally find in TV and movies that something truly badass is more often in the dialog then anywhere else.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

So you're all about that totally non-over the top and non-unrealistic Tarintino or Frank Miller violence, right Lance? Totally believable.

So you don't like Die Hard, awesome. However, you do come off as a prick of a movie snob resembling the typical music fan dickheads who hail The Velvet Underground and Sgt. Peppers without knowing a flying fuck about what they're talking about.

Just sayin'.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I never said 24 is shit or anything like that. I haven't seen it enough to make that kind of judgment. I've seen several episodes though and I really can't stand the show; the dialog, the imposing and relentless visual style, the sound design, the characters, etc. But like I said, I never watched it enough to make a full judgment, but I'd never want to. I hated the few episodes I hate to sit through, and the fact that it's so huge and I have to hear about it all the time, and all my friends at college were obsessed with it...just wears on me. And Jack Bauer is one of the most annoying "heroes" I've seen on TV recently. He just bugs the hell out of me for some reason.
sounds like you never wanted to give it a chance because of all the hype and because it was popular. kind of like indie music fans do with music onthe radio
Old 06-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:

*Waits for Cameron and Spielberg to show people what great blockbusters are supposed to be and start fixing this epidemic.*
You made a good argument and all, but you do realise Spielberg (and Lucas, since we're talking about SW) pretty much gave birth to the blockbuster movies in Hollywood ? Sure, those were better than the run of the mill summer action movies currently in Hollywood but still.

I'm willing to give DH 4 or Indy 4 for that matter, a chance. But looking at the trailor so far, I'm not optimistic.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 AM
On topic, one of my favourite acton movie series, next to Indy,
Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #81
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:

*Waits for Cameron and Spielberg to show people what great blockbusters are supposed to be and start fixing this epidemic.*
They don't make realistic movies. aside from Titanic - which totally sucked balls a lot wow that's a lot of suck for one film - most of Cameron's movies involve aliens, robots, alien Robots or fish.

And Speilberg's last blockbuster was ... Jurassic Park? And it makes me sad to say this, but that movie wasn't realistic either.

The two of these guys combined haven't made I gave a shit since 1989 - The Last Crusade.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

oy vey...

I have a bad feeling about this bet now...

Lance, Die Hard is an action movie, A-C-T-I-O-N.

Stuff is supposed to blow up and impossible shit is supposed to happen. If they were to do a standard action movie in which the laws of probability are not broken (or at least bent) it would make for a boring action movie...

You said T2 is your favorite all time action movie. I agree with you that it is excellent but it is nowhere near probable. Killer cyborgs from the future? Not to mention the chase scene in the water-way is a deal breaker right there, when the truck busts through the over-pass and drops down behind John Conner...

Indiana Jones is a grey zone, sure the action is fairly grounded in realism but some of the shit that goes down is truly mind-boggling... I mean how is a car being crashed into a helicopter more of a leap of faith than Indy vs a tank or Indy somehow hanging onto a submarine?

The only “action” movies that I can think of off the top of my head that are fairly realistic from beginning to end are the Bourne films, but I’m not even sure if I would classify them as a standard action film…

On top of that, our bet is based on Transformers vs Die Hard...

Seriously, how can you say that the action in DH is more unbelievable than a giant killer robot beating the shit out of a bus?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Holy shit. I'm done trying to explain myself to you people, as LMP and possibly namkcuR have been the only ones who have even tried to understand what I'm been talking about here for 4 pages, and LMP just like breaking my balls.

I'm done with this. You're all as dense as a steel plate. I think I'd rather just let you all think I'm a dumb pompous prick then keep arguing with you people about this.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
I think I'd rather just let you all think I'm a dumb pompous prick then keep arguing with you people about this.
Well, if it walks like a duck. . .
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Anyway, I, for one, can enjoy a movie based on how entertaining it is, not how grounded in reality it is. I watched Die Hard with a Vengeance with my brother last week. We enjoyed it for what it is. I'll see DH4.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #86
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Holy shit. I'm done trying to explain myself to you people, as LMP and possibly namkcuR have been the only ones who have even tried to understand what I'm been talking about here for 4 pages, and LMP just like breaking my balls.

I'm done with this. You're all as dense as a steel plate. I think I'd rather just let you all think I'm a dumb pompous prick then keep arguing with you people about this.
Hey, the only steel plates I have are in my balls... I think.....maybe not.....If my balls were steel plates, and John McClane used them to block bullets from his head, would the film be better if I lived, or if I died? Would I lay on the ground writhing in pain for a while? What's the rule of thumb on steel plate balls?

I think John McCain should ask John McClane to be his running mate. And Giuliani should team up with Jack Bauer. That would be awesome. That way when they said "The VP is in an undiclosed location" no one, and I mean NO ONE, would fucking question that.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #87
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

Hey, the only steel plates I have are in my balls... I think.....maybe not.....If my balls were steel plates, and John McClane used them to block bullets from his head, would the film be better if I lived, or if I died? Would I lay on the ground writhing in pain for a while? What's the rule of thumb on steel plate balls?

I think John McCain should ask John McClane to be his running mate. And Giuliani should team up with Jack Bauer. That would be awesome. That way when they said "The VP is in an undiclosed location" no one, and I mean NO ONE, would fucking question that.
Man, the war on terror would in in what? 6 months? 8 months?

Can someone have an approval rating of over 100%?

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

And Speilberg's last blockbuster was ... Jurassic Park? And it makes me sad to say this, but that movie wasn't realistic either.
Does War of the Worlds count as a blockbuster even though it sucked? Plus, it's about aliens and Tom Cruise as a father - not very realistic at all.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Well, if it walks like a duck. . .
I was going to go with: if the shoe fits

seriously, if you are going to come blazing into a DIE HARD thread and start spouting the virtues of cinema you are asking for trouble...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

seriously, if you are going to come blazing into a DIE HARD thread and start spouting the virtues of cinema you are asking for trouble...
But see, for a while this was almost a good debate. I have no problem with people disagreeing, in fact I thoroughly enjoy it, it inspires people to actually talk about substantial things outside out "No way, Depp is wayyy hotter in pirate garb than Bloom, so blow me."

What I can't stand is when people don't have any idea what they're actually disagreeing with, and I tried of explaining the same thing over and over again.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I read this thread. I am quite sure many people know exactly what they are disagreeing with. I believe the problem might be that they find your definition of what is "plausible" and what is an acceptable version of "reality" to be a bit hypocritical.