Yippee-Ki-Yay, Interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:

But see, for a while this was almost a good debate. I have no problem with people disagreeing, in fact I thoroughly enjoy it, it inspires people to actually talk about substantial things outside out "No way, Depp is wayyy hotter in pirate garb than Bloom, so blow me."

What I can't stand is when people don't have any idea what they're actually disagreeing with, and I tried of explaining the same thing over and over again.

Fair enough...

I hope you don't think I was picking on you or anything...

Everybody is a "movie snob" to one degree or another, my tastes, for example, range from 2001 and Raging Bull to Airplane and Big Trouble In Little China...

My problem with your argument is that no action movie is based in reality, it doesn't mater which one it is and I don't care if it's aliens or terrorists or Nazis or robots. Same goes for the setting, either "real life" or "fantasy", it's all the same when it comes to the action genre as far as I'm concerned...

Big Trouble in Little China is the shit, by the way.

Big_Trouble2.jpg

I'm making a John Carpenter thread next sometime this week after I watch Big Trouble in Little China again for the 67th time.

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:
I read this thread. I am quite sure many people know exactly what they are disagreeing with. I believe the problem might be that they find your definition of what is "plausible" and what is an acceptable version of "reality" to be a bit hypocritical.

I'm not sure they do, or they wouldn't keep saying stuff like "Well how do you like transformers or Terminator, because aliens and cyborgs aren't very likely?"

It seems like a lot of people here are under the impression I only appreciate gritty realism. That's just not true. My problem with cetain action films, the one major issue I've been addressing here the whole time, is what events occur that completely break with the specific precedent of "reality" or "plausibility" or "believability" or whatever you want to call it set by the film.

For (yet another) example, look at the Back to the Future films. I damn well know time travel into the past is physically impossible. So I should hate these movies right? Hell no, they're extremely well done. All the time travel-related antics are enjoyable and "believeable" because the film set the precedents that Doc Brown created this device that allows for time travel under this set of rules.

As for the Terminator films, the films set te precedent that time travel is possible under certain circumstances, and that this fairly detailed series of events let to the state of the world in the future when John Conner is leading humanity. But all the actions still obeys the laws of physics and such outside of the previously set concepts of reality. So you don't see Ahnuld leaping over a building for dramatic effect, or the T-1000 suddenly able to teleport somewhere, because those actions wouldn't be grounded in the "rules" of their specific film world, so therefore, there isn't really anything that pull the audience out of the "illusion" of the film.

An example of a film breaking this idea would be in Armageddon, where just about all the action that takes place on the astreroid contradicts itself. The motion of the land rover thing, the mobility of the shuttles in the air over the asteroid and the actions of the men on the surface...none of it really meshes. The filmmakers there (Mr. Bay, hehe) just crated their own rules to create whatever ridiculous scene they wanted to occur. And that's why the part of the movie is pretty much unwatchable. (That's far from the only reason Armageddon is a terrible film, however.)

WildHoneyAlways said:
I read this thread. I am quite sure many people know exactly what they are disagreeing with. I believe the problem might be that they find your definition of what is "plausible" and what is an acceptable version of "reality" to be a bit hypocritical.

:up:
The condescending tone doesn't help either.

elevated_u2_fan said:

:love:

It's all in the reflexes...

...and go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave...

Indeed!

or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first huh?

I'm watching Die Hard with a Vengeance now, and I'm moving to the Pla camp of it being The Best Die Hard Ever.

You can't beat a movie with Bruce Willis AND Sam Jackson, it's wholly impossible.

Die Hard With a Vengeance is good, but no way does it beat the first one.

Irons was a great vaillain, but nobody, and I mean nobody can out-villain Alan Rickman.

And Sam Jackson is just an annoying ****** in that film. Hate to say it. And LMP, your undying love of Samuel L. Jackson is really baffling. I mean, yeah he's pretty badass, but it's so played-out anymore. And honestly, he's not a very good actor.

The only two films I really enjoyed him in were Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

I don't know how he does it, but Sam Jackson manages to yell almost every line in this movie.

He's the greatest Angry Black Guy ever.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't know how he does it, but Sam Jackson manages to yell almost every line in this movie.

He's the greatest Angry Black Guy ever.

Man, someone tell Sam Jackson he's my bro.

Lancemc said:
Die Hard With a Vengeance is good, but no way does it beat the first one.

Irons was a great vaillain, but nobody, and I mean nobody can out-villain Alan Rickman.

And Sam Jackson is just an annoying ****** in that film. Hate to say it. And LMP, your undying love of Samuel L. Jackson is really baffling. I mean, yeah he's pretty badass, but it's so played-out anymore. And honestly, he's not a very good actor.

The only two films I really enjoyed him in were Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

He's an absolutely great actor in those two movies, there has to be a law somewhere where every Tarantino movie has to feature Sam Jackson. The guy just cracks me up.

I don't get tired of Sam Jackson at all for some reason, sure it's the same Angry Black Guy schtick, but it's fun, at least for me.

He's one of the sole reasons I'm able to sit through watching the Star Wars Prequels.

I mean, the only problem with him is when he's doing a movie, it's Sam Jackson AS that character, not him doing that character. The only writer capable enough of shaping him into a great character has been Tarantino.

So when George Lucas rolls out a piss-poor script and hires Sam Jackson as a Jedi, he's going to be Sam Jackson as Jedi, not Mace Windu.

I think you pretty much nailed it there. And it's beginning to reach an unbearable level personally. I did enjoy Snake on a Plane, but I think that might have been the final nail in the Angry Black Man coffin.

That's cool, man. :up:

I still love when he gets eaten by a shark after he delivers his inspiring monologue in Deep Blue Sea.

"They ate me, a fucking shark ate me, drank bitch!"

180px-Chappellejackson.jpg

PS - Now I enjoy looking at your av and sig :drool:

That was a huge jump on the Sexiness Scale from James Cameron, too. It was like jumping from 3,456,768 to 8.

So true. I don't think Jim would really be able to rock the purple baseball-tee quite like my girl can here. :up:

or an oversized crayon.

Along with my Die Hard 3 purchase, I got Almost Famous. I almost forgot she was in that.

a badass Kate Hudson AND Zooey? That's almost like the girl equivalent of Jackson/Willis except less angry yelling or screen time together.

They're called flight attendants now :tsk:

Back to Die Hard:

Zeus: [to man] Hey! Who was the 21st President?
Man: Go fuck yourself!

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom