Yippee-Ki-Yay, Interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
livefree-diehard.jpg

Has anyone actually watched the trailer for this film? This is going to be one of the most laughing and absurd action films in recent history. Launching a car into a helicopter
Shut up. Shut up you!

You just killed a helicopter with a car!

I was out of bullets.

Queen Bee said:
So as long as a movie is set in the here and now, everything has to be realistic???? :huh:

:hmm:

I guess yes. It does. Unless the film provides the context for something to occur otherwise, then yeah. I suppose so.

Then just stick to watching documentaries. You won't find a single movie out there lacking in the "that's completely impossible" category.

If Star Wars and other fantasy films can create their own rules and whatnot, ridiculous action movies cannot?

Watch Die Hard again, not only is John McClane bleeding profusely from his feet but he gets shot in the back twice, TWICE! and keeps going. Not once did he go into shock from loss of blood, or you know, die.

edit: To Pla

Aside from that being completely untrue, I'm just done arguing with you. I've tried three times to explain this and you've failed three times to even try to understand what I mean.

PlaTheGreat said:
Then just stick to watching documentaries. You won't find a single movie out there lacking in the "that's completely impossible" category.

Now that's just not true.

There are very few films that don't have 'that's a bit unrealistic' moments, but there are plenty that are devoid of any 'that's completely impossible' moments.

While I haven't judged DH4 yet as Lance seemingly has, I do understand and more or less agree with what he's saying.

I think a good example of a less 'impossible' action film would be either of the Bourne films. Especially the first one. The man is a trained killer, so beating the shit out of people is second nature to him. It's like breathing for him. Because of this, none of the scenes in which he completely kicks four guys' asses at the same have the 'that's impossible' factor. There's car chases, fist fights and more, and some of it isn't totally realistic, but none of it is totally impossible.

LemonMacPhisto said:
If Star Wars and other fantasy films can create their own rules and whatnot, ridiculous action movies cannot?

Watch Die Hard again, not only is John McClane bleeding profusely from his feet but he gets shot in the back twice, TWICE! and keeps going. Not once did he go into shock from loss of blood, or you know, die.

Like I elaborated upon earlier, there's no problem with films bending the rules, as long as it doesn't pass the point where the audience is distracted from the film. Yeah, in all likelihood, John probably would have been more fucked up by the end of the movie, but he was still in fairly shity condition too, shitty enough that the audience still believes he got a good beating without being Superman or anything. But that aspect of Die Hard does come close to the "Woah, that's completely fucking ridiculous" line, but I don't think it crosses it.

I see what you're saying, and you do bring up good points, but all of what you're saying applies to you and your taste. Most people see movies as a form of escapism anyway, so when a car pulverizes a helicopter, it's a breath of fresh air. Of course that cannot possibly happen in normal life, but if it did, who the hell would be watching it as a movie?

It's hard to pass judgement on a movie that has not come out yet either, so wait and see it (well, you kinda have to :wink: ), not judge it based on the trailer like I said before, and take it as it is: a ridiculous, summer action flick.

Edit: Terminator 2 is also about a cyborg sent by the leader of a human resistance to save himself from another cyborg who can change his form into other people. You need a certain disbelief to enjoy that movie, but I do agree it's one of the best action movies ever.

Last edited:
While I don't exactly see how a car pulverizing a helicopter is "a breath of fresh air", I do understand what you're saying. Yes, it is just a ridiculous summer action flick. And that's exactly what I hate about it. :wink:

Oh well, agree to disagree. :up:

But the line after the car/helicopter thing is fucking badass:

Canadiens1160 said:
You just killed a helicopter with a car!

I was out of bullets.

Then again, I'm the same kid who thinks Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer are the two biggest badasses ever, so I have certain perspective of awesome coming into this argument.

See now I think that's incredibly lame, but it's trying to make a cool joke about one of the most craptastic action scenes of the year so of course I don't like it. But where you hear badass, I hear not-quite-so-clever remark from an actor making playing a charicature of a character that used to be entertaining just so he can collect his massive paycheck.

And don't get me started on Jack Bauer. 24 is one of my least favorite things to happen to television since American Idol.

And you just like Chuck Norris because it's the "cool" thing to like on the internet, and you know it. :wink:

Lancemc said:
And don't get me started on Jack Bauer. 24 is one of my least favorite things to happen to television since American Idol.

What's wrong with 24? I mean, granted, this past season was shit, and overall, the premise of the show is stale, but the first three years were top-notch.

Look at Bruce Willis' filmography, he's done enough movies just for the paycheck already.

But see, it's all a matter of opinion. To me, Jack Bauer biting a terrorist goon in the neck like a vampire is fucking badass. What do you consider badass?

I watch Walker, Texas Ranger regularly on the Hallmark Channel thank you very much. :rockon:

It's not realistic but I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party. I like my Jesus to party.

I never said 24 is shit or anything like that. I haven't seen it enough to make that kind of judgment. I've seen several episodes though and I really can't stand the show; the dialog, the imposing and relentless visual style, the sound design, the characters, etc. But like I said, I never watched it enough to make a full judgment, but I'd never want to. I hated the few episodes I hate to sit through, and the fact that it's so huge and I have to hear about it all the time, and all my friends at college were obsessed with it...just wears on me. And Jack Bauer is one of the most annoying "heroes" I've seen on TV recently. He just bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

As for the badass thing, let me think about some good example for a little while. (for the record, I actually did see that episode where he bit that guy's neck. Everyone in the room gasped and cheers, and I was left thinking 'well that was predictable'). But I like my badassery to be more subtle. I think "badass" has more to do with attitude than actions. I personally find in TV and movies that something truly badass is more often in the dialog then anywhere else.

So you're all about that totally non-over the top and non-unrealistic Tarintino or Frank Miller violence, right Lance? Totally believable.

So you don't like Die Hard, awesome. :up: However, you do come off as a prick of a movie snob resembling the typical music fan dickheads who hail The Velvet Underground and Sgt. Peppers without knowing a flying fuck about what they're talking about.

Just sayin'.

Lancemc said:
I never said 24 is shit or anything like that. I haven't seen it enough to make that kind of judgment. I've seen several episodes though and I really can't stand the show; the dialog, the imposing and relentless visual style, the sound design, the characters, etc. But like I said, I never watched it enough to make a full judgment, but I'd never want to. I hated the few episodes I hate to sit through, and the fact that it's so huge and I have to hear about it all the time, and all my friends at college were obsessed with it...just wears on me. And Jack Bauer is one of the most annoying "heroes" I've seen on TV recently. He just bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

sounds like you never wanted to give it a chance because of all the hype and because it was popular. kind of like indie music fans do with music onthe radio :wink:

Lancemc said:

*Waits for Cameron and Spielberg to show people what great blockbusters are supposed to be and start fixing this epidemic.*

You made a good argument and all, but you do realise Spielberg (and Lucas, since we're talking about SW) pretty much gave birth to the blockbuster movies in Hollywood ? Sure, those were better than the run of the mill summer action movies currently in Hollywood but still.

I'm willing to give DH 4 or Indy 4 for that matter, a chance. But looking at the trailor so far, I'm not optimistic.

Lancemc said:

*Waits for Cameron and Spielberg to show people what great blockbusters are supposed to be and start fixing this epidemic.*

They don't make realistic movies. :scratch: aside from Titanic - which totally sucked balls a lot wow that's a lot of suck for one film - most of Cameron's movies involve aliens, robots, alien Robots or fish.

And Speilberg's last blockbuster was ... Jurassic Park? And it makes me sad to say this, but that movie wasn't realistic either.

The two of these guys combined haven't made I gave a shit since 1989 - The Last Crusade.

:eyebrow:

oy vey...

I have a bad feeling about this bet now...

Lance, Die Hard is an action movie, A-C-T-I-O-N.

Stuff is supposed to blow up and impossible shit is supposed to happen. If they were to do a standard action movie in which the laws of probability are not broken (or at least bent) it would make for a boring action movie...

You said T2 is your favorite all time action movie. I agree with you that it is excellent but it is nowhere near probable. Killer cyborgs from the future? Not to mention the chase scene in the water-way is a deal breaker right there, when the truck busts through the over-pass and drops down behind John Conner...

Indiana Jones is a grey zone, sure the action is fairly grounded in realism but some of the shit that goes down is truly mind-boggling... I mean how is a car being crashed into a helicopter more of a leap of faith than Indy vs a tank or Indy somehow hanging onto a submarine?

The only “action” movies that I can think of off the top of my head that are fairly realistic from beginning to end are the Bourne films, but I’m not even sure if I would classify them as a standard action film…

On top of that, our bet is based on Transformers vs Die Hard...

Seriously, how can you say that the action in DH is more unbelievable than a giant killer robot beating the shit out of a bus?

Holy shit. I'm done trying to explain myself to you people, as LMP and possibly namkcuR have been the only ones who have even tried to understand what I'm been talking about here for 4 pages, and LMP just like breaking my balls.

I'm done with this. You're all as dense as a steel plate. I think I'd rather just let you all think I'm a dumb pompous prick then keep arguing with you people about this.

Anyway, I, for one, can enjoy a movie based on how entertaining it is, not how grounded in reality it is. I watched Die Hard with a Vengeance with my brother last week. :up: We enjoyed it for what it is. :shrug: I'll see DH4.

Lancemc said:
Holy shit. I'm done trying to explain myself to you people, as LMP and possibly namkcuR have been the only ones who have even tried to understand what I'm been talking about here for 4 pages, and LMP just like breaking my balls.

I'm done with this. You're all as dense as a steel plate. I think I'd rather just let you all think I'm a dumb pompous prick then keep arguing with you people about this.

Hey, the only steel plates I have are in my balls...:uhoh: I think.....maybe not.....If my balls were steel plates, and John McClane used them to block bullets from his head, would the film be better if I lived, or if I died? Would I lay on the ground writhing in pain for a while? What's the rule of thumb on steel plate balls?

I think John McCain should ask John McClane to be his running mate. And Giuliani should team up with Jack Bauer. That would be awesome. That way when they said "The VP is in an undiclosed location" no one, and I mean NO ONE, would fucking question that.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

Hey, the only steel plates I have are in my balls...:uhoh: I think.....maybe not.....If my balls were steel plates, and John McClane used them to block bullets from his head, would the film be better if I lived, or if I died? Would I lay on the ground writhing in pain for a while? What's the rule of thumb on steel plate balls?

I think John McCain should ask John McClane to be his running mate. And Giuliani should team up with Jack Bauer. That would be awesome. That way when they said "The VP is in an undiclosed location" no one, and I mean NO ONE, would fucking question that.

Man, the war on terror would in in what? 6 months? 8 months?

Can someone have an approval rating of over 100%?

UberBeaver said:

And Speilberg's last blockbuster was ... Jurassic Park? And it makes me sad to say this, but that movie wasn't realistic either.

Does War of the Worlds count as a blockbuster even though it sucked? Plus, it's about aliens and Tom Cruise as a father - not very realistic at all.

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

seriously, if you are going to come blazing into a DIE HARD thread and start spouting the virtues of cinema you are asking for trouble...

But see, for a while this was almost a good debate. I have no problem with people disagreeing, in fact I thoroughly enjoy it, it inspires people to actually talk about substantial things outside out "No way, Depp is wayyy hotter in pirate garb than Bloom, so blow me."

What I can't stand is when people don't have any idea what they're actually disagreeing with, and I tried of explaining the same thing over and over again.

I read this thread. I am quite sure many people know exactly what they are disagreeing with. I believe the problem might be that they find your definition of what is "plausible" and what is an acceptable version of "reality" to be a bit hypocritical.

Back
Top Bottom