Yes its the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band...review...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well I'll try to keep this pretty brief, as I am not supposed to be on this computer for too long, but I went out and bought my very first Beatles album Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band the other day, and now that I have spun it round a few times, I thought it was time to revive ye olde review thread. Now I am assuming this album is one of those "got to give it time" albums, and I will, but I would just like to share my first thoughts, as it usually evokes a good debating thread. Sometimes. Here I go.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
I tried downloading this song once, but cancelled it because I didn't want the live version. Then I realised it was the album version. I do like this song I have to say, all 124 seconds of it. The guitar which kicks it off is great, and that real rock vocal is good. It's just a shame it's a tad short, but I must admit I prefer at this stage the Live 8 Paul McC/U2 version.

With a Little Help From My Friends
I knew the title of this song, but I never knew it had been covered. I am used to the Joe Cocker version, which is longer and more in-your-face. That said, this was a good version which I am warming to and find myself uanble to stop singing.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
I've known this song for ages thanks to the one and only "Good times, great classic hits, gold 104" radio station, and I really like it. The vocal is great, and I love the song is just travelling along slowly and then breaks, all trippy, and then breaks into "Lucy in the sky..." All the drug refernces and and music in this song and throughout the album are quite fascinating.

Getting Better
I quite like this track too, I swear I have heard it before though. It sounds very familiar to the music in some ad, but I can't figure out which. Anyway, this is a good song, very simple, but with a great vocal .The only slight problem I have with it is I coudln't listen to it over and over because it does get quite repetitive.

Edit:
From wikipedia.comIn the late 1990s, the song was recorded as a cover for the Australian television show Better Homes and Gardens.

There we go.

Fixing a Hole
Pretty simplistic sort of song I thought, but it is a grower. The guitar is really good on this song, simple but it sounds good. The vocal especially in the outro witht he guitar, sounds great. The lyrics leave a little to be desired, but otherwise an alright sort of a song.

She's Leaving Home
Hate to say it, but another just average sort of song. The lyrical content is interesting. The way it starts is good, again good vocals, but I was expecting at some stage the song to sort of break open, maybe in the chorus a la LITSWD. But it never did.

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Absolutely ridiculous title, which I have just discovered came from a circus poster. The song is a very strange one, and sounds quite the complex, especially after the final line. The track is at its brief best IMO when the line "but tonight Mr. Kite is topping the bill!!". It is very theatric, very tense. Still strange song however.

Within You Without You
This song just sounds like a massive drug fest I reckon. Very spiritual, relaxed, and good vocals from Harrison. I can just imagine the band playing it while high, smoke billowing... I have to say though it is one of the better songs on the album. An experience.

When I'm Sixty-Four
Sounds like the type of song that would play during a children's cartoon, especially the melody. Very, very cheesy IMO, but it is quite catchy, and I do admit to a bit of the toe-tap and sing-a-long when it plays. The vocal gets better when Paul sings the "you'll be older too..." verse.

Lovely Rita
Another very cheesy song, but I'll admit I quite like this song. Again, it's the vocals that do it. I've heard that it had something to do with a Paul dying story, if anyone would care to elaborate.
A very relaxed laidback vocal in the chorus, I do like this track.
[/b]7[/b]

Good Morning, Good Morning
Another very strange sort of track, I guess it just shows they weren't afraid to put anything on an album. The guitar is good on this song, but I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan. The "good morning, good morning, good morninga" line has been in my head for days. The perfect song to end on a fade-out.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
I almost like this more than the opening track, if it were not for the length. It's much faster, and I think the guitar has more edge, as do the whole band. I like the concept, with a reprise saying goodbye as the opening track was a welcome.

A Day in the Life
I really did get into this song sort of up to the 2-and-a-half minute stage, when things start getting a bit crazy. Very instrumental, I like the lyrics and vocals, however the two parts where things get crazy, the big ascension, and the crazy Beatles vocie outro. I also heard that there is something to "annoy your dog" on it, couldn't find it though. I'd also like to know why the song is so revered?

Well there you have it, debate about my thoughs if you wish, and please, if anyone can tell me more about some of my queries or any random facts about the Beatles or this album I would love to hear because as you can probably tell my Beatles knowledge is quite low. Also post your own thoughts and ratings of the album, I am interested to see and compare. I also wonder which album should I invest in next? One of my new year's resolutions this year was to broaden my musical taste, so there will be a few more of these threads to come.

Bye for now

Great post, interesting thoughts, but I can't agree with your ratings though.

Brilliant concept for an album and one of the great album openers

Very much a feel-good song, fun to listen to and the title track segues nicely into it

Lucy In The Sky
Love Lennon's vocal in this lyrically mysterious song. Soars beautifully and epitomises the Beatles' sound of this era.

Getting Better
Pretty average for a Beatles song. Has never done a lot for me, though I do enjoy the casual tone of Macca's vocal. Can't listen to this song without thinking of the BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS theme either. It's cast in stone..

Fixing A Hole
Intriguing track that has never really seemed all that spectacular to me. Fits nicely on the album though.

She's Leaving Home
I've always enjoyed the simplicity and straightforwardness of the lyrics. A rather depressing story that goes well with the music. That said, by no means an exceptional or spectacular part of the Beatles' canon.

Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite
A bizarre but immensely enjoyable composition. Typically Lennon in subject matter, and is special in an avant-garde kinda way. Never tire of it.

Within You Without You
You either love 'em or you hate 'em. Harrison's obsession with India frustrated some, but I personally love the sheer psychadelia of it all. Prefer it over Love You To personally. Sweetly positioned as the opener to Side Two, a soothing respite from the often pulsating side one.

When I'm Sixty Four
Cool little track. Cheesy maybe, but still a sweet little inclusion on the album.

Lovely Rita
One of the most underrated Beatles songs. Deserves more credit than it recieves. Don't let the seemingly trivial subject matter of meter maids deter you, this is a classic. Love how well the drawn-out chanting of Lennon's vocal works between Macca's upbeat vocal to create an exciting tune.

Good Morning Good Morning
Another seemingly simplistic yet very cool tune. Love the rooster... Not a Beatle classic, but a cool song.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise
I love reprises, especially when they are as good as the original song. Upbeat and a bit of fun with what was already an amazing little song.

A Day In The Life
Almost like 2 amazing songs withing the one ultra-amazing song. Shamelessly brilliant. A Bohemian Rhapsody/Paranoid Android of sorts. Love the lyrics, whatever the meaning is supposed to be. Certainly intriguing enough. An utterly perfect end to an almost perfect album album.

You should buy this album because it is meant to be played as a full album, not just a collection of songs. I always listen to Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon all the way through.

Yeah, I assume this is going to grow on you. A Day In The Life is one of the best songs ever, no hyperbole.

As for which Beatles album you get next, I think Magical Mystery Tour is the most fun/immediate (as well as possibly my favorite), but you can't go wrong with Revolver or Abbey Road, either.

its great to see the youngsters know where to look for great music. if only they would rate it properly.

i recommend rubber soul next.

COBL_04 said:
I'd also like to know why the song is so revered?

Because it's incredible?

Sgt. Pepper's is my favourite Beatles album. Everything on it ranges from 9 to 10 for me.

It's a shame The Beatles' true masterpieces Rubber Soul and Revolver are often overshadowed by this, in my opinion, overrated album. Best album of all time? Give me a break.

Lancemc said:
It's a shame The Beatles' true masterpieces Rubber Soul and Revolver are often overshadowed by this, in my opinion, overrated album. Best album of all time? Give me a break.

:up:

Sgt. Pepper is amazing in its own right, but I'd take those two, especially Revolver over this album any day.

Tomorrow Never Knows ftw!

U2Man said:
if only they would rate it properly.

There's no law against rating it song-by-song. Indeed, it is not impossible to both treat the album as one long cohesive work of art and to rate each song individually.

intedomine said:

There's no law against rating it song-by-song. Indeed, it is not impossible to both treat the album as one long cohesive work of art and to rate each song individually.

it was a joke, son. see my first post in this thread. i hope no one took offense.

this is more like it:

GibsonGirl said:

Sgt. Pepper's is my favourite Beatles album. Everything on it ranges from 9 to 10 for me.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Revolver does nothing for me.

:( :( :(

Tomorrow Never Knows ftw indeed.

I love that this is an introduction to the record. I love it. And I especially loves how it feeds into the next song.

I knew it from The Wonder Years a long time ago, but I also knew it was a Beatles song without actually hearing the original. Simple song to sing, only 5 note changes. Hooray Ringo appearance!

Amazing John song, seriously. You don't need to take drugs to trip out on it. The voice, the music, the lyrics, everything is a musical LSD trip. I've overplayed it though, so I haven't heard it in ages.

Getting Better
Hello Phillips commercial! The lyrics are A+

Fixing a Hole
Not a shining moment in the album, but not awful at all.

She's Leaving Home
I get sad just listening to this song. I bet Thom Yorke channels it.

This really does fit in with the whole theme. I'm glad that they went back into a circus-y kind of mood that they presented in the beginning. I can completely picture Paul as the ringleader in this song.

Within You Without You
We were talking, about the space between us all. Brilliant song, zen-like lyrics, awesome music. Harrison, my main man.

When I'm Sixty-Four
Of course it's cheesy, it's meant to be cheesy! We had to sing this song in chorus in 4th grade. Lots of fun learning the lyrics. I never forgot them. Wasn't this song used in a commercial also?

Lovely Rita
Worst, and I mean this in the best way, song on the album. I just find it annoying. That said, I don't skip it.

This song scares people. "Is that a rooster?!" Yes, it's a myriad of animals waking you up. That's why this album is awesome. It can jump around from a drug trip to a circus, to a farm, to everything you want. And it does so seamlessly.

This is so much better than the original, but I'm glad they saved the better one musically for last. I love the "We're Sgt Pepper's one and only lonely hearts club band..." Just fucking brilliant wordplay.

A Day in the Life
Top 5 Beatles song forever. And ever. It is absolutely perfect in every day. From the weird lyrics, to the jump between John and Paul's parts, to the orchestra fornication (and we get it TWICE :drool: ) all the way to the loop at the end. And yes, even the part for dogs. It's at the very end before the loop, a high pitched noise. God, even the drumming, the fills Ringo injects in there. Amazing. Amazing fucking song. Song of the album, song of songs of songs of songs forever to come. Anything less than a 10 for this is criminal.

PlaTheGreat said:
I love that this is an introduction to the record. I love it. And I especially loves how it feeds into the next song.

I knew it from The Wonder Years a long time ago, but I also knew it was a Beatles song without actually hearing the original. Simple song to sing, only 5 note changes. Hooray Ringo appearance!

Amazing John song, seriously. You don't need to take drugs to trip out on it. The voice, the music, the lyrics, everything is a musical LSD trip. I've overplayed it though, so I haven't heard it in ages.

Getting Better
Hello Phillips commercial! The lyrics are A+

Fixing a Hole
Not a shining moment in the album, but not awful at all.

She's Leaving Home
I get sad just listening to this song. I bet Thom Yorke channels it.

This really does fit in with the whole theme. I'm glad that they went back into a circus-y kind of mood that they presented in the beginning. I can completely picture Paul as the ringleader in this song.

Within You Without You
We were talking, about the space between us all. Brilliant song, zen-like lyrics, awesome music. Harrison, my main man.

When I'm Sixty-Four
Of course it's cheesy, it's meant to be cheesy! We had to sing this song in chorus in 4th grade. Lots of fun learning the lyrics. I never forgot them. Wasn't this song used in a commercial also?

Lovely Rita
Worst, and I mean this in the best way, song on the album. I just find it annoying. That said, I don't skip it.

This song scares people. "Is that a rooster?!" Yes, it's a myriad of animals waking you up. That's why this album is awesome. It can jump around from a drug trip to a circus, to a farm, to everything you want. And it does so seamlessly.

This is so much better than the original, but I'm glad they saved the better one musically for last. I love the "We're Sgt Pepper's one and only lonely hearts club band..." Just fucking brilliant wordplay.

A Day in the Life
Top 5 Beatles song forever. And ever. It is absolutely perfect in every day. From the weird lyrics, to the jump between John and Paul's parts, to the orchestra fornication (and we get it TWICE :drool: ) all the way to the loop at the end. And yes, even the part for dogs. It's at the very end before the loop, a high pitched noise. God, even the drumming, the fills Ringo injects in there. Amazing. Amazing fucking song. Song of the album, song of songs of songs of songs forever to come. Anything less than a 10 for this is criminal.

:applaud:!!! But I love Fixing A Hole and would probably give it more like a 7.5

Oh.. and I heard With A Little Help first on The Wonder Years too! :love: :hug: :wink:

But for a first time review COBL_04, I would say yours is not bad. I'm sure songs like A Day In The Life and Mr. Kite will grow on you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom