ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
And different from the Premiership top six one. General discussion about football/soccer/etc. (no petty arguments regarding nomenclature please) from England, Europe, and if you want the professional and amateur leagues of Vanuatu.

Weekend Prem Results:

Arsenal 2-1 Fulham
Chelsea 3-2 Birmingham
Man United 0-0 Reading
Villa 1-2 Liverpool
Bolton 1-3 Newcastle
Derby 2-2 Portsmouth
Everton 2-1 Wigan
Boro 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
Sunderland 1-0 Spurs
West Ham 0-2 Manchester City

One thing that struck me as I saw Matt Derbyshire whack a really lovely goal in for Blackburn was that none of the top teams went in for Benni McCarthy. You'd think he'd be perfect for a team like Arsenal - proven striker in the Prem and he's got a Champions' League medal, too. I think he's definitely one of the better players from outside the big four/big five (if you want to count Spurs now). I quite like the Blackburn set up, actually - yes they can and do resort to indiscriminate fouling all the time but they've got some great players like McCarthy, Pedersen, Friedel, Bentley (who knew?), Nelsen and Santa Cruz looks a really good buy.

villa 1 - 2 liverpool

what a joke. even game, liverpool probably created the better chances but couldn't take them. then mike fucking riley goes and awards a free kick despite petrov winning the ball and gerrard then falling over him. fair play to gerrad from the resulting free kick, it was unbelievable (and it got me a few more points for my fantasy team) but it should never have been awarded in the first place.

i hate it when the 'big 4' teams get awarded petty decisions like those because it has a long term effect over the season for the opposing team.

As a side note, does anyone else find these LED rings annoyingly distracting? It's not like they're on the second deck of the stadium, they're right at pitch-level.

Didn't know they had these in footy.

A lot of the top clubs have those now. although i'll admit the ones at villa seemed a bit over the top with all that light flashing from side to side.

i love how some people who write letters to football365 are all upinarms after matchday 1... particularly spurs fans.

it's ONE MATCH. relax. wow.

haha i thought you wouldn't be too happy that!

i'm sure if inter had included 'the misunderstood genius' - recoba - in their team they would have done better :wink:

still it's only a friendly and right now villa have zero points :(

1stepcloser said:
haha i thought you wouldn't be too happy that!

i'm sure if inter had included 'the misunderstood genius' - recoba - in their team they would have done better :wink:

still it's only a friendly and right now villa have zero points :(

Yesterday he scored a great one against milan in a friendly, but it will be his last one, I think.........finally he's next to leave. It's incredible how this player spent 10 years at Inter without playing........Maybe he would be good for Aston Villa!

Zoomerang96 said:
i love how some people who write letters to football365 are all upinarms after matchday 1... particularly spurs fans.

it's ONE MATCH. relax. wow.

Make that TWO. :)

I think they'll be ok personally, they just need a couple of big names back from injury and they'll find their stride.

Tevez makes his debut today for Manchester United.

If he lives up to expectations, Rooney will need to find another team... :wink:

Well, maybe not that much but I hope he does well.

babyman said:

Yesterday he scored a great one against milan in a friendly, but it will be his last one, I think.........finally he's next to leave. It's incredible how this player spent 10 years at Inter without playing........Maybe he would be good for Aston Villa!

he is a strange guy. he can be brilliant but he's so lazy and injury prone. he probably would be good for villa after our last showing!

how do you think inter will do this year?

Beautiful strike by Beckham! The ever so familiar trademark bend that he is famous for. That was great to see that phone vid to get a better perspective.

Looks like we'll see him figure into the England v Germany friendly next Wednesday. I hope to see a similar result since the last time we thrashed them 5 - 1 in Munich 6 years ago.

another vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-h6vf0J0e8

1stepcloser said:

he is a strange guy. he can be brilliant but he's so lazy and injury prone. he probably would be good for villa after our last showing!

how do you think inter will do this year?

Everyone wants to win the champions league this year, this is absolutely the main target, losing again this season would mean a failure, even if we'd win the championship again. I must say I'm pretty confident about the team, we took two great players such as David Suazo in forward(who has shown a couple of things in the friendly aganst Man Utd) and Christian Chivu in defense, who can play 3 different roles. The rest is good, with Ibrahimovic and Figo (this man never ages, it's incredible how good he still is!) plus Maicon, Stankovic and Cambiasso the team is excellent. Not forgetting Crespo, Julio Cruz and hopefully Adriano. I'm not used to proclaim victories, I rather stay with feet on the ground, but this year it could be the right year. I'm happy with the team, our president has given once again many money away. Last year we went off for two draws against Valencia, we missed a player such Suazo who is able to change a game in every moment. Let's see!

And how do you see Aston Villa? Most important is to arrive before Birmingham, ain't it?:wink:
If they relegate is even better, no?:wink: :wink:

wow.

this is the sort of start i expected man u to have LAST season, not this year.

though to be honest, sven's men got pretty lucky today. they didn't deserve the win from all accounts.

babyman said:

Everyone wants to win the champions league this year, this is absolutely the main target, losing again this season would mean a failure, even if we'd win the championship again. I must say I'm pretty confident about the team, we took two great players such as David Suazo in forward(who has shown a couple of things in the friendly aganst Man Utd) and Christian Chivu in defense, who can play 3 different roles. The rest is good, with Ibrahimovic and Figo (this man never ages, it's incredible how good he still is!) plus Maicon, Stankovic and Cambiasso the team is excellent. Not forgetting Crespo, Julio Cruz and hopefully Adriano. I'm not used to proclaim victories, I rather stay with feet on the ground, but this year it could be the right year. I'm happy with the team, our president has given once again many money away. Last year we went off for two draws against Valencia, we missed a player such Suazo who is able to change a game in every moment. Let's see!

And how do you see Aston Villa? Most important is to arrive before Birmingham, ain't it?:wink:
If they relegate is even better, no?:wink: :wink:

Suazo looked really good in the pre-season tournaments and against man united. he'll do well for inter i think. Can't believe madrid sold cambiasso, they always sell their most underrated players. cambiasso, solari, makelele, owen, beckham, the list goes on....

top 10 is a possibility for villa, maybe europe. the first 11 is quite good but the squad is really thin, we need to sign more players :(

yeah finishing ahead of and beating birmingham is probably going to be the highlight of our season. the way they played yesterday it's looking more and more likely!

man united deserved to win but didn't take their chances. tevez missed 2 easy chances but man city defended very well. anyway everyone likes to see the big teams get knocked off their perch :wink:

liverpool got robbed today as it was never a penalty against chelsea but i suppose it's evened itself out as it was never a free kick against villa the week before so 2 points gained, 2 points lost.

Rob Styles clearly has something wrong with his eyes. Cost Liverpool the whole fucking match.

:mad:

yeah but GG, jose said the ref had a good game so maybe he did a good job afterall?

:wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah but GG, jose said the ref had a good game so maybe he did a good job afterall?

:wink:

Yeah, I saw that. It's hilarious. :lol:

Yes, José, you're right, Styles didn't do anything wrong. That's why he's not allowed anywhere near a pitch next weekend.

dave c, jol is still slated to be sacked sometime this week according to some UK dailies.

This Jol stuff is unbelievable. he's turned the club from a lower mid table side going nowhere into a good top 6 outfit and now they're calling for his head cos he's lost a couple of matches. it's shameful.

Heading down the pub this morning to watch the match, 12pm kick off here. And what match you ask?

England v Germany at..........Wembley!

C'mon England!!!!

hmm... i wonder if robinson hasn't finally gone and lost his spot.

back to james of all people.

Slipstream said:
Heading down the pub this morning to watch the match, 12pm kick off here. And what match you ask?

England v Germany at..........Wembley!

C'mon England!!!!

Maybe next time.... maybe. :wink:

errr

we had loads of injuries, that's our excuse.

does that excuse fly, vincent? ha... you were pretty much fielding your b-squad and you still won.

Back
Top Bottom