ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
his selections proved to be awful.

there are no words to describe how pissed off i am.

so i'll be best to leave it at that for tonite.

So glorious....Thank you Croatia for realising one of my football fantasies, I was so nervous yesterday and was furious with Russia for not making sure of England's elimination on the weekend....A fabulous result....nothing better....

intedomine said:
So glorious....Thank you Croatia for realising one of my football fantasies, I was so nervous yesterday and was furious with Russia for not making sure of England's elimination on the weekend....A fabulous result....nothing better....

See what joy mclaren can bring to some people!

A couple of weeks ago a mate of mine got the sack from his job for having a blazing row with his gaffer about something or other and now finds himself out of work out of pocket, & struggling to find employment, for what, upsetting 1 person, last night mclown failed miserably in his job, upset a nation of 50,000,000 people, and will today be sacked, but receive millions in compensation!!!!funny old world, innit!

Just seen a breaking news item on skysports, mclown HAS been sacked, ah well steve, at least you'll know what it feels like to win the lottery!

Blame the gaffer, use him as a scapegoat, rather than address the blatant lack of depth and absence of genuine quality of the current England squad.

intedomine said:
Blame the gaffer, use him as a scapegoat, rather than address the blatant lack of depth and absence of genuine quality of the current England squad.

of course there was lack of quality... but in fairness, mclaren was screwed for this game in terms of personnel.

robinson has been atrocious of late (a long, long late at that), and all four of england's starting defenders were either injured or suspended.

i'm not making excuses for him, but lack of depth really wasn't his fault. at least not in the back end.

and yes, i'm VERY happy he got the can.

obviously i'm gutted but last night was the best thing to happen to english football in a long time. finally we'll get in a manager who knows what he's doing, has loads of experience, is a winner and will command the respect from everyone in the dressing room. everything that steve mclaren is not.

Lippi, cappello or mourinho please. they'd know how to get the best out of our players and to deal with one of the most egotistical and well paid dressing rooms in the world. we do have some of the best players in the world but we're still a few years behind the likes of italy, brazil and argentina on a technical level. with the right set up, manager and organisation anything is possible. anyone who disputes this go and look at greece in 2004.

intedomine said:

if you think steve mclaren shouldn't shoulder any of blame then you know very little about football.

1stepcloser said:

if you think steve mclaren shouldn't shoulder any of blame then you know very little about football.

Well said 1Step, I think this kid is very anti England, I tend to read his/her posts with huge pinch of salt.

You're going to watch football games without English players or coaches, nothing new to you.

1stepcloser said:

Not saying McLaren is a good manager or anything, but only a fool would compare England's current best xi (as unsettled as it might be) to the current best xi of Argentina, Brazil, Italia, Holland, Germany or Portugal.

Indeed, for England to win a major tournament with the side they've got, it would ve very "Greece 2004"

i suggest this team be given a look at if they are all fit:

-------------------------------Foster------------------------------

G. Neville---------Richards-----------Ferdinand-----------A.Cole

---------------------------Hargreaves--------------------------------

Bentley---------------------------------------------------------Young

------------------------------Rooney------------------------------------

--------------Owen-----------------------------Ashton----------------

in defence there's phsyical strength and lots of pace, there's the tenacity of hargreaves protecting the back 4, the pace, skill and high standard of crossing from young and bentley (they're far better at crossing than SWP or lennon) and the brilliance of wayne rooney in "the hole". he's as talented as any continental player probably bar kaka so he must be given a free role and made the most of. up front there's ashtons strength and skill coupled with owens scoring ability and being in the right place at the right time.

get the ego's of terry, gerrard, lampard and beckham on the bench and use them as good players to bring on. i know the likelihood of lampard, gerrard and terry all being dropped is minimal but we can always dream! it's time to get rid of the old guard and try something new and fresh.

Yeah but how can you guarantee all of those lot will be fit? Owen and Ashton especially.

At any rate England did have, on paper, the better squad against Croatia but they still managed to muck it up, and that's largely McClaren's fault. Why wait till the final game to drop Robinson? It was the correct decision but made too late and hopefully poor old Scott Carson will rebound from all this because he is a fine keeper.

That said, maybe the sportswriters at the Sun might be interested in the post. Gotcha indeed.

fitness is the one thing we have been unlucky with and unfortunately owen, ashton and rooney have a special talent for getting injured at crucial times.

looking back carson should never have played that match. he's 22, has played less than 50 premiership games and mclaren decided that he'd play him in the most important england game since the world cup in the most awful footballing conditions. i'd have played david james. go for experience. mclaren is a joke. well, was a joke. thank god he's gone.

1stepcloser said:
i suggest this team be given a look at if they are all fit:

-------------------------------Foster------------------------------

G. Neville---------Richards-----------Ferdinand-----------A.Cole

---------------------------Hargreaves--------------------------------

Bentley---------------------------------------------------------Young

------------------------------Rooney------------------------------------

--------------Owen-----------------------------Ashton----------------

in defence there's phsyical strength and lots of pace, there's the tenacity of hargreaves protecting the back 4, the pace, skill and high standard of crossing from young and bentley (they're far better at crossing than SWP or lennon) and the brilliance of wayne rooney in "the hole". he's as talented as any continental player probably bar kaka so he must be given a free role and made the most of. up front there's ashtons strength and skill coupled with owens scoring ability and being in the right place at the right time.

get the ego's of terry, gerrard, lampard and beckham on the bench and use them as good players to bring on. i know the likelihood of lampard, gerrard and terry all being dropped is minimal but we can always dream! it's time to get rid of the old guard and try something new and fresh.

this is absolutely absurd.

i can see why people have a go at the usual suspects of beckham, lampard and gerrard, but to suggest that england seriously consider dropping terry is reprehensible, shortsighted, ridiculous and ghastly embarassing to the bearer of such opinion.

yertle-the-turtle said:

That said, maybe the sportswriters at the Sun might be interested in the post. Gotcha indeed.

haha. the sun.
i'll admit, i catch myself going there from time to time. it's true, they do break stories (in sport) but they're still the definition of evil in every regard from head to toe.

where do you all go for your football stories, yertle? other than football365 and soccernet, i mean...

Zoomerang96 said:

but to suggest that england seriously consider dropping terry is reprehensible, shortsighted, ridiculous and ghastly embarassing to the bearer of such opinion.

and here we have the exact reason why england have fucked things up so many times over so many years. the idea that someone is undroppable. that despite their shortcomings, they must always play, without fail.

Richards has immense potential and he has the one thing that terry will always get shown up for - pace. and he has lots of it. i'm not saying that we should start that team for the first world cup qualifier but it could be looked at. very few strikers in the world will be able to outpace those 2 centre halves.

and that is why the new generation of players hasn't turned out.

"potential"

i suppose shaun wright phillips still has loads of potential? i read an article recently where the author was ridiculous enough to refer to him as a "kid". he's what... TWENTY SIX??

and aaron lennon. just when does this potential ever turn into anything? seriously!

potential means nothing if it doesn't turn into anything.

richards is a fine talent thus far, no question, but as a centre back?

terry is anything but old, and we don't exactly need to be looking to the future in that department.

SWP had potential until he went to chelsea. two years sitting on the bench there has probably cost him his international career. plus his crossing is shit, and so is lennons. however young and bentley are both excellent crossers and both play on opposite flanks. i'd love to see them 2 get given a go together in the same team.

more than anything however england needs a manager who commands the respect of all the players, a guy they will all listen to. and i couldn't care less if he's english. get fabio capello in now. he says he wants it. let him have it.

Zoomerang96 said:

where do you all go for your football stories, yertle? other than football365 and soccernet, i mean...

I use the BBC. I've never used football365 all that much and soccernet went to shit a few years ago. The BBC is the only website that doesn't muck up my PC, but it's ultra Anglocentric.

Lookin forward to the big World Cup qualifying Draw tonight. There should be some intrguing groups in Africa and Asia especially, and Europe will again throw up some exciting possibilities.

1stepcloser said:

more than anything however england needs a manager who commands the respect of all the players, a guy they will all listen to. and i couldn't care less if he's english. get fabio capello in now. he says he wants it. let him have it.

in this i couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom