ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'm sure that Dida would get a bit dizzy with all that wind swirling around inside his skull where the brain's meant to be.

I do hope Dida rather than Celtic cops punishment.

A Chilean goalkeeper got a year suspension for bringing the game into disrepute for feigning injury....but I really don't think Dida will get any punishment, he has gotten away with similar antics before.

i've just seen the incident. dida went down like he'd been shot yet the fan barely touched him. celtic should get punished for not being able to control their fans but dida should also get some sort of fine or punishment because it was the purest form of play acting i've seen for a while.

reminds me a bit of this infamous incident...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4oUnpcmws

:lmao: at the two videos.

LJT said:
A Chilean goalkeeper got a year suspension for bringing the game into disrepute for feigning injury....but I really don't think Dida will get any punishment, he has gotten away with similar antics before.

Bah, that sucks. It's kind of sad that this sort of shit is probably going to be talked about more over here than the actual results.

WHO IS THE ONLY ITALIAN TEAM THROUGH IN THE UEFA CUP???? WHO???? WHO????? WHAT????? YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

babyman said:
^ Well, we italians always are targeted as cheaters, thieves etc etc. BULLSHIT! There's so much ignorance out there, people talk of fair play and then they hang themselves over those stupid stereotypes. Just watch within your home, everyone.
We won a great worldchampionship, and we showed the whole world what we're up to, all those bashers just have to shut up.
Beside this, Domenech is the first one who has to shut, does he remember when he wanted to sell fake tickets in the american worldcup in 1994?!?!? It's just a miracle he didn't go to jail

I STILL haven't forgiven Italy for beating Australia during the world cup......especially since it wasn't fair play.

No offence.

Yeah, it is. Not quite sure the right call was made on WR and the PK.

could be a blessing in disguise. england need a decent manager and with perhaps not qualifying we might get one.

please please please let it be mourinho...

1stepcloser said:
could be a blessing in disguise. england need a decent manager and with perhaps not qualifying we might get one.

please please please let it be mourinho...

He's the obvious choice 1Step, but the FA being what it is will more than likely pick Pearce as he's less likely to rock the boat, & thus englands decline into the also rans of international football will continue!

i will officially resort to only club footballing matters if england appoint pearce. the man is all passion but knows little about the tactical game. mind you, i'd rather have him than o'neill :(

good to see you around these parts again jimmmm :up:

villa v united today, we've got an absolutely abysmal record against your lot, throwing away leads, conceding last minute equalisers, getting thumped, you name it we've done it. having said that we've won our last 4 at home, included the chelsea win, so who knows.

my prediction - a tight affair but united to sneak it 1-0 or 2-1.

What is going on in the world of football??? What tournament are you guys discussing? I'm so out of the loop it's not even funny! And it's my favorite sport. :(

edit: European league matches? :der:

Last edited:
Me and a fellow Bolton supporting pal were in the pub tonight, and decided to evaluate the sporting week:

Weds 17th October: Bolton sack their manger. England balls up Euro 2008 qualifying.

Saturday 21st October: England lose world cup final. Bolton lose and sink to the bottom of the league.

Sunday 22nd October: L.Hamilton misses out by one point of drivers championship. We had made a special effort to watch the whole race in the pub. We both play in the our pub teams first round cup game and lose 4-2.

Great.

p.s. Yes, I am fishing for sympathy here!

Bolton is playing in Europe isn't it? you should qualify out of the group stage with Bayern...my Fiorentina is there too :wink: and the season isn't even a quarters way over...you got time to pull out again, have faith :)

rafa has gone absolutely mental this year with his stupid substition/rotation ideas.

subbing gerrard??

what the fuck is wrong with him.

at the beginning of the campaign when torres was red-hot (sorry for the pun), even he wasn't promised a spot.

even i could coach liverpool better.

Eggert Magnusson's idea that the US could host a Premier League game or two is a good one.

I mean, yeah sure, the US approach to sports and the UK one is pretty different, but there's loads of interest now (although probably not comparable to baseball and American football). Of course, clubs will moan about fixture congestion and UK-based fans may see this as selling out but, in response to the latter charge, I've met loads of non-UK people who are rabid fans of many Premiership teams and whose biggest dreams are to watch their team live at Old Trafford/Anfield/wherever.

So I mean I think it'd be great, there are loads of logistical things to iron out but I think it's a nice idea. Maybe even bring in teams with a good American contingent - Fulham for example - if the Uniteds and Liverpools pass this up?

Dalton said:
Gerrard's replacement won the penalty so that really took care of that argument.

But, I still don't know why Torres isn't automatic when healthy.

no it didn't.

that's bullshit, and deep down you know it. sorry, i don't mean to have a go at you at all, i'm just completely at wits end trying to figure out how rafa could be so daft in his subbing.

you do NOT sub gerrard. not then... it just doesn't make sense.

tottenham's an absolute mess. this started with the head brass getting caught in spain prior to the beginning of the season... right up till now.

of course, martin didn't do himself any favours by having rows with berbatov and defoe amongst others, either.

those are my thoughts for the moment. i apologize in advance... :wink:

yertle-the-turtle said:
Eggert Magnusson's idea that the US could host a Premier League game or two is a good one.

I mean, yeah sure, the US approach to sports and the UK one is pretty different, but there's loads of interest now (although probably not comparable to baseball and American football). Of course, clubs will moan about fixture congestion and UK-based fans may see this as selling out but, in response to the latter charge, I've met loads of non-UK people who are rabid fans of many Premiership teams and whose biggest dreams are to watch their team live at Old Trafford/Anfield/wherever.

So I mean I think it'd be great, there are loads of logistical things to iron out but I think it's a nice idea. Maybe even bring in teams with a good American contingent - Fulham for example - if the Uniteds and Liverpools pass this up?

Last year a Red Bull NY-Barcelona exhibition match sold out Giants Stadium (~80,000 seats). A Premiership match involving Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea could probably sell out as well, while a match with Fulham USA probably would get only about 10,000-20,000.

Last edited:
Zoom, did you watch the game? I felt that Gerrard was playing his heart out, but it seemed like he was TOO emotional. That is not an argument I make very often in football (except with Rooney), but I thought that Stevie was pushing too hard.

So, the sub made sense to me. I don't understand why you would never sub Gerrard. Is he bigger than the team? I don't think he should be. I saw fergie sub Keano on a few occasions to send a message. I think that is what Rafa was doing.

yes, but when you consider how ridiculous rafa has been with his subs this season it just adds more fuel to the fire.

and like i said dalton, don't think i was having a go with you. not at all.

Back
Top Bottom