ye olde englishe/european footballe threade - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #256
Refugee

Local Time: 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Is Maclaren going to quit?
History has proved not, but, would you have quit and lost out on all that well deserved compensation?

Old 11-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #257
War Child

Local Time: 06:04 AM
You're going to watch football games without English players or coaches, nothing new to you.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

if you think steve mclaren shouldn't shoulder any of blame then you know very little about football.
Not saying McLaren is a good manager or anything, but only a fool would compare England's current best xi (as unsettled as it might be) to the current best xi of Argentina, Brazil, Italia, Holland, Germany or Portugal.

Indeed, for England to win a major tournament with the side they've got, it would ve very "Greece 2004"
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:04 AM
i suggest this team be given a look at if they are all fit:

-------------------------------Foster------------------------------

G. Neville---------Richards-----------Ferdinand-----------A.Cole

---------------------------Hargreaves--------------------------------

Bentley---------------------------------------------------------Young

------------------------------Rooney------------------------------------

--------------Owen-----------------------------Ashton----------------

in defence there's phsyical strength and lots of pace, there's the tenacity of hargreaves protecting the back 4, the pace, skill and high standard of crossing from young and bentley (they're far better at crossing than SWP or lennon) and the brilliance of wayne rooney in "the hole". he's as talented as any continental player probably bar kaka so he must be given a free role and made the most of. up front there's ashtons strength and skill coupled with owens scoring ability and being in the right place at the right time.

get the ego's of terry, gerrard, lampard and beckham on the bench and use them as good players to bring on. i know the likelihood of lampard, gerrard and terry all being dropped is minimal but we can always dream! it's time to get rid of the old guard and try something new and fresh.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #260
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Yeah but how can you guarantee all of those lot will be fit? Owen and Ashton especially.

At any rate England did have, on paper, the better squad against Croatia but they still managed to muck it up, and that's largely McClaren's fault. Why wait till the final game to drop Robinson? It was the correct decision but made too late and hopefully poor old Scott Carson will rebound from all this because he is a fine keeper.

That said, maybe the sportswriters at the Sun might be interested in the post. Gotcha indeed.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie

fitness is the one thing we have been unlucky with and unfortunately owen, ashton and rooney have a special talent for getting injured at crucial times.

looking back carson should never have played that match. he's 22, has played less than 50 premiership games and mclaren decided that he'd play him in the most important england game since the world cup in the most awful footballing conditions. i'd have played david james. go for experience. mclaren is a joke. well, was a joke. thank god he's gone.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
i suggest this team be given a look at if they are all fit:

-------------------------------Foster------------------------------

G. Neville---------Richards-----------Ferdinand-----------A.Cole

---------------------------Hargreaves--------------------------------

Bentley---------------------------------------------------------Young

------------------------------Rooney------------------------------------

--------------Owen-----------------------------Ashton----------------

in defence there's phsyical strength and lots of pace, there's the tenacity of hargreaves protecting the back 4, the pace, skill and high standard of crossing from young and bentley (they're far better at crossing than SWP or lennon) and the brilliance of wayne rooney in "the hole". he's as talented as any continental player probably bar kaka so he must be given a free role and made the most of. up front there's ashtons strength and skill coupled with owens scoring ability and being in the right place at the right time.

get the ego's of terry, gerrard, lampard and beckham on the bench and use them as good players to bring on. i know the likelihood of lampard, gerrard and terry all being dropped is minimal but we can always dream! it's time to get rid of the old guard and try something new and fresh.
this is absolutely absurd.

i can see why people have a go at the usual suspects of beckham, lampard and gerrard, but to suggest that england seriously consider dropping terry is reprehensible, shortsighted, ridiculous and ghastly embarassing to the bearer of such opinion.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #263
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle

That said, maybe the sportswriters at the Sun might be interested in the post. Gotcha indeed.
haha. the sun.
i'll admit, i catch myself going there from time to time. it's true, they do break stories (in sport) but they're still the definition of evil in every regard from head to toe.

where do you all go for your football stories, yertle? other than football365 and soccernet, i mean...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #264
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

but to suggest that england seriously consider dropping terry is reprehensible, shortsighted, ridiculous and ghastly embarassing to the bearer of such opinion.
and here we have the exact reason why england have fucked things up so many times over so many years. the idea that someone is undroppable. that despite their shortcomings, they must always play, without fail.

Richards has immense potential and he has the one thing that terry will always get shown up for - pace. and he has lots of it. i'm not saying that we should start that team for the first world cup qualifier but it could be looked at. very few strikers in the world will be able to outpace those 2 centre halves.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life

and that is why the new generation of players hasn't turned out.

"potential"

i suppose shaun wright phillips still has loads of potential? i read an article recently where the author was ridiculous enough to refer to him as a "kid". he's what... TWENTY SIX??

and aaron lennon. just when does this potential ever turn into anything? seriously!

potential means nothing if it doesn't turn into anything.

richards is a fine talent thus far, no question, but as a centre back?

terry is anything but old, and we don't exactly need to be looking to the future in that department.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie

SWP had potential until he went to chelsea. two years sitting on the bench there has probably cost him his international career. plus his crossing is shit, and so is lennons. however young and bentley are both excellent crossers and both play on opposite flanks. i'd love to see them 2 get given a go together in the same team.

more than anything however england needs a manager who commands the respect of all the players, a guy they will all listen to. and i couldn't care less if he's english. get fabio capello in now. he says he wants it. let him have it.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Bring back Heskey and Le Saux!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #268
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

where do you all go for your football stories, yertle? other than football365 and soccernet, i mean...
I use the BBC. I've never used football365 all that much and soccernet went to shit a few years ago. The BBC is the only website that doesn't muck up my PC, but it's ultra Anglocentric.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Lookin forward to the big World Cup qualifying Draw tonight. There should be some intrguing groups in Africa and Asia especially, and Europe will again throw up some exciting possibilities.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #270
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

more than anything however england needs a manager who commands the respect of all the players, a guy they will all listen to. and i couldn't care less if he's english. get fabio capello in now. he says he wants it. let him have it.
in this i couldn't agree more.