ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rooney was man of the match, by far.

Pretty dull first half but they came out well in the 2nd. Bentley performed well...but i'm still not happy with James.

joe cole, bentley and rooney were all excellent. especially joe cole. he's always been our most naturally gifted player but hasn't really performed to his full potential yet. if he keeps up the kind of form he's in now we could have a real big game match winner on our hands and every top team needs one of them.

rooneys work rate was incredible even though his finishing left a little to be desired. david bentley looked like the real deal last night too, i'd definitely give him another run out. shame ashley young didn't get much of a chance to show what he can do.

Owen must've been frustrated not to even come on as a sub. Having to sit there are see Crouch go on instead would've got him thinking. He's gotta start producing the goods for Newcastle asap.

Its not April 1st today is it........?

From bbc sport.

Top clubs consider overseas games

The English Premier League is considering the idea of staging some matches around the rest of the world.
At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at five different venues, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

I've never heard so much shit in all my life, it would seem as though the billionaires are beginning to play with their toys. & in doing so trampling all over match going fans nationwide, unless of course they're going to pay for all the fans to travel the world to SUPPORT their teams, what say you 1Step, you're a match going Villa fan, how would you feel if after 38 matches Villa had finished 4th and claimed a Champions League place, only to lose it after losing 2-1 to Chelsea in fucking beijing or some other far flung city somewhere in the world, its total & absolute bollocks, but WILL happen, because geniune fans are always totally ignored by the wankers who run the game, EVERY match going fan, & TV spectator should band together and boycott 1 whole weekend of next seasons prem. and let them know WE don't need to follow suit with yank football and flog our league around the world, stop messing around with the fans, and leave things ALONE!!!!!

I think if they are going to do it(and not saying I want them to) then it should be like what the NHL ice hockey league does here in NA. They've had 2 clubs play a league game right at the start of the season like this season which was back to back games at the O2 in London or Vancouver in Tokyo in 97.

That or they just stick with doing off-season friendly matches around the world only.

jimmmm, you know the EPL has fans outside of England, right?

jimmmm said:
Its not April 1st today is it........?

From bbc sport.

Top clubs consider overseas games

The English Premier League is considering the idea of staging some matches around the rest of the world.
At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at five different venues, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

I've never heard so much shit in all my life, it would seem as though the billionaires are beginning to play with their toys. & in doing so trampling all over match going fans nationwide, unless of course they're going to pay for all the fans to travel the world to SUPPORT their teams, what say you 1Step, you're a match going Villa fan, how would you feel if after 38 matches Villa had finished 4th and claimed a Champions League place, only to lose it after losing 2-1 to Chelsea in fucking beijing or some other far flung city somewhere in the world, its total & absolute bollocks, but WILL happen, because geniune fans are always totally ignored by the wankers who run the game,

yeah i agree it is a load of bollocks. the premiership is just a cash cow now and even if they do just play one match each in in these cities it's never going to be enough to satisfy the demand. also half the stadium i imagine will be taken up by corporates who have about as much passion for the game as i do for birmingham city!

also imagine if man united played someone like middlesbrough in singapore it would leave boro at a massive disadvantage as united are hugely popular in the far east and it would essentially be a home game for united (ive been to singapore and i know this, i went for a drink in a bar dedicated to united and had pictures of all past and present players adorning the walls. was quite a surreal experience lol)

the prem is massive all over the world now and im sure many fans would love to see their favourite players live but an actual league game? no thanks. bad idea.

speedracer said:
jimmmm, you know the EPL has fans outside of England, right?

Thats without doubt, but it is an ENGLISH competition, an ENGLISH DOMESTIC league, supported by hundreds of thousands of dedicated fans who follow their team home & away throughout the season, watching 19 HOME & 19 AWAY matches, an equally balanced season, in a league format that has been running successfully for well over a hundred years, & now the greedy bastards who run the prem want to introduce an extra match to the season, for the sake of 1 thing & 1 thing only, apart from how this idea walks all over the loyal week-in week-out fans in this country, how in Gods name are they going to choose who plays who, & in which part of the world, time differences will give certain teams advantages, this extra game, could in extreme circumstances see the team who finish 3rd, or 4th after 38 matches, win the league, a ridiculous situation accepted in other sports, but should not be introduced into football, if these greedy bastards are so desperate to tap into foreign markets they should devise some sort of end of season, or pre season tournament, but not mess about with the prem. lge. format.

I've just heard an interview with some sleaze bag on radio, during which he infered football in general doesn't actually need bums on seats anymore, due to TV money, & other outside money coming into the game, yeah right, I wonder just how long the TV companies would continue to televise matches from empty stadiums with no atmosphere whatsoever, it wouldn't be long before they'd find something else to televise.
The goose that laid the golden egg, an old story that to me applies totally to the prem. you can push people so far, but sooner or later most will say enough is enough.

Hmm. I posted about this a few months ago in this thread. While I was highly excited by the idea before, I'm not too keen now, especially with this 'international round' idea thing.

An interesting anecdote would be the Premier League Asia Cup thing, I don't know if anyone remembers it. Basically it was a pre-season thing that attempted to replicate the so-called EPL experience - Martin Tyler, Rob Styles, and all. The first tournament in KL was hyped up very heavily here and featured the likes of Newcastle, Birmingham and Cheslea (in the very early days of the Abramovich era, which meant there was a lot of excitement surrounding the team) but ended up playing to very sparse crowds.

On the other hand Man United defeated Singapore 8-1 in front of 50 000 people in 2000 or 2001, but I don't think one can see that kind of crowd for Wigan vs. Derby, whether it's Singapore or Dubai. Hell, I don't know how many would show up at the JJB or Pride Park for that fixture, never mind overseas!

It'd be nice, really, though, for fans of teams who don't necessarily have the chance to see them week in, week out. And these are real fans too, although there are the fair number of Chelsea supporters who like the colour blue and silly things like that. I know a United fan who's supported United since 1968. A Derby fan from the 1970s. Die-hard fans of not just Liverpool or Arsenal but also Everton, Southampton, Blackburn etc. Heck I support Ipswich Town myself. There's nothing more these fans (myself included) want than to go to a game, be there in person and support our team (and yes it is our team too, even if we are overseas and weren't born in Preston or wherever). Some have made the holy pilgrimages, but most have to make do with television. And I think that's the way it should stay. It's just not right any other way.

Imagine the chaos this will cause during the packed dec/jan schedule.

Terrible result for KK and Newcastle. I'm sure we will win ths afternoon. City normally only provide threat to us on their own turf so we should be ok.

Hope all the fans observe the one minute silence before the game begins.

good god newcastle are shit. 4-1. what a great result. wish we could have milner back though :(

can't believe city won today :mad:

we get a great win then everyone around us seems to fucking win as well, everton, man city, pompey all go and win. i bet liverpool and blackburn will go and beat chelsea and arsenal now won't they :madspit:

^ yeah , to be honest that was the best result of the weekend.

Great result for City, hopefully this will restart there 4th spot push.

Of all days to turn in a performance like that, dreadful from United, fair play to citeh, deserved the points. Arse really in the driving seat now, if they beat blackburn tomorrow, they'll be very difficult to catch.

jimmmm said:
Of all days to turn in a performance like that, dreadful from United, fair play to citeh, deserved the points. Arse really in the driving seat now, if they beat blackburn tomorrow, they'll be very difficult to catch.

I agree. I can't see them losing tonight. Tho I couldnt see us losing yesterday - on that day of all days! Dreadful in the 1st half. Brighter in the 2nd but still can't recall us carving out any real decent chances. Tevez was miles offside when he put the ball in the net, aside from that there was nothing but the consolation goal from Carrick.

Glad to see the minutes silence was well observed by the crowd. I was in a bar in the west end...full of gunners fans and it was perfect silence there too.

:up:

united look short on strikers. all the big sides have 4 but united have 2 and a half. you saw yesterday how much they missed rooney. i don't think they would have lost if he had played. not saying that they would have definitely won because man city played very well and sven outfoxed fergie tactically however everytime i see rooney play with united they look a far more potent attacking threat than without him.

maybe fergie is rueing his decision to let manucho go to greece for the season or maybe even selling rossi in the summer....

Isnt manucho on loan until his nation breaks into fifa's top 70 rankings because of the permit bollocks ?

vaz02 said:
Isnt manucho on loan until his nation breaks into fifa's top 70 rankings because of the permit bollocks ?

Unsure on that one actually.

Good win for the gunners last night, despite them not being totally on form. It'll be very tough for us to come back now. We can't afford to drop anymore points - and we've still got to play Arsenal and Chelsea again.

Anyway, first things first, let's just concentrate on this weekend and knocking em out of the cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7244079.stm

Ronaldo's career could be over :(

oh and im talking about THE ronaldo by the way, not that diving cheat from old trafford so jimmmm and aardvark you can stop worrying :wink:

anyway, it will be a truly sad day for football if he does retire. he was a great great player on his day. arguably the best player in the world during his time at barcelona before he got injured.

^ thats quite sad, ronaldo is probs the 1st real super star i knew when i was growing up.

Back
Top Bottom