ye olde englishe/european footballe threade - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #226
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:14 PM
that's a tough question. i do, yes. but i don't know if i can answer that for the country... ha.

during the world cup last year there was a poll done amongst canadians to see who they were cheering for most. england came out on top.

canadian soccer is going nowhere, in terms of the national team. football is growing in the country, in fact the cbc says it's their second most "important" sport in terms of viewership.

i know amongst my friends back home in canada, they're all pretty much england fans first and foremost when it comes to football.

just a good fit, you know? hell, we had to sing god save the queen in school...
it only makes sense to cheer for england.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:14 AM
you had to sing god save the queen at school? man i feel sorry for you, i never knew canadians had it that hard! i care for the queen about as much as i care for the political situation in lithuania...i.e. very little.

i can see the link though, britain certainly has a stronger bond with canada than with america. also i hear toronto fc have a very english feel about them, especially with the fans...

Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie

oh and another great thing about tonights result, it means the FA can keep their dirty hands off martin o'neill for a good while yet
Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 AM   #229
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
you had to sing god save the queen at school? man i feel sorry for you, i never knew canadians had it that hard! i care for the queen about as much as i care for the political situation in lithuania...i.e. very little.

i can see the link though, britain certainly has a stronger bond with canada than with america. also i hear toronto fc have a very english feel about them, especially with the fans...
yeah the difference between canada and america is pretty great. for a start, they revolted against british rule, canada never did. we're part of the commonwealth, they're not.

as for toronto fc, the games i've seen they have st. george's cross flying by the canadian flag on top of the stadium. not sure what that was about... the union jack flies all over canada, but st. george's cross isn't.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
oh and another great thing about tonights result, it means the FA can keep their dirty hands off martin o'neill for a good while yet
Alan Shearer is linked with the job in the News OfThe World today...!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #231
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
They've done us a HUGE favour - only a point needed on wednesday now. We cannot fuck it up.....!!!
I wouldn't put money on it.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #232
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
why does england think they're the best? what have they ever done to allow them to think that save for a tournament in 66?

God only knows, as you rightly ask Zoomerang, what the HELL have england done since '66 to justify any kind of confidence going into major tournaments, 1 semi app. in the world cup in '90, & likewise in the Euro's in '96, both in my opinion achieved with a great deal of fortune along the way in each tournament, & their performances in the other tournaments since '66, the 1's they have managed to qualify for have been at best mediocre, & at worst absolutely F***ING S***E!!!!
I've said for sometime now, IF england reach tournaments, a 1/4 final place is about their target, anything less should be judged as disappointing, anything more a bonus, THERE are FAR better teams in Europe, & Sth. America than england, & its about time the press & the public realised it!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #233
Refugee

Btw, just like to add, genuine commiserations to any Scots fans, after yesterdays defeat, at the start of these qualifiers I personally never gave the Jocks a cat in hells chance in such a group, but they've performed brilliantly throughout, & I genuinely felt fgor them watching the match, but, every cloud has a silver lining, & apparently on the strength of their performances in these quals. they'll be promoted to a second seed for future qualifying tournaments so they'll not have to be stuck in groups containing the likes of Italy & France for the World Cup qualifiers next year.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie

will be interesting to see what formation mclaren goes for on wednesday. lots of people are saying he might go for 4-5-1 and pack the midfield with just crouch up front with lampard and gerrard running up to support him.

i'd rather see a 4-4-2 with lampard/gerrard playing alongside hargreaves/barry in the middle. if hargreaves is fit enough he should play because whilst barry is better technically, hargreaves is more defensive and that's what we'll probably need against a good side like croatia
Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #235
ONE
love, blood, life

england are pretty weak with a 4-5-1 (recent history would suggest), but i agree that it probably makes the most sense at this point given our lack of strikers at the moment.

i'd play the usual four with hargreaves as a holding midfielder.

plus, having five in the middle helps us better cope with a very (internationally) inexperienced back end.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i'd also advise him not to play john terry either. the last thing we want is a guy who hasn't played for 6 weeks being rushed back into the team. added to the fact that terry is slow anyway, some of croatia's quicker players could expose him.

i just hope we try and attack and don't hold out for a draw as that runs the risk of conceding a late goal. we've got a good record at wembley though so it should be difficult for croatia even if we have a few key players out.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Good on Mclaren for goin with Carson over Robinson. I reckon that's a great move and i've got faith in Carson that he'll do a good job at the back.

The fact that SWP is in for Beckham shouldnt have even been up for discussion in my book. Becks isn't 100% and put in a lacklustre display on friday in Austria. SWP will be up and down the right-hand touchline all game long - and he'll get you goals.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life

in this formation, and with becks' current fitness, there's no choice but to play swp.

however, that doesn't mean i like it. ask mourinho or grant what they think of swp if you don't believe me.

he'll run around out there, but i doubt he'll do a thing.

i imagine he'll be subbed around the 60-70th minute, especially if england are down or even level.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i think eventually in the next 1-2 years we'll see david bentley being given more of a chance on the right for england. SWP is quicker than him but bentleys crossing is far superior. SWP can't cross to save his life. and they never criticise him about in the BBC studio cos his fuckin dad is always there as pundit.

anyway, i reckon tonights match will be crap but i'm also quite excited about it too. glad carson is in goal. the defence need somebody they can trust and carson hasn't let down villa once this season. you can't really say the same thing for robbo.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

Fuckin terrible. Fuckin awful. We were 2-2 and we fuckin blew it. Get the fuck out Mclaren. Why the fuck did u scarper down the tunnel at the end of the game?? U stood with with a fuckin umbrella thru the whole game when not even Prince William did that. Im sorry everyone, im pissed and pissed off. Bridge was awful, Carson is to blame for the first goal and im not sure Becks wouldve done anything if he'd started. I hate this. Im so fuckin annoyed I dont know what else to say.