ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:

i think david bentley is the best and most promising right sided player we have right now and i'd like to see him be given 90 minutes in england colours to see what he can do and maybe cappello is thinking the same.

Agree with that. An hopefully the majority of fans have forgiven him for not competing in the u-21 tournament last year. Good to see Agbonglahor get a call up. Hopefully he'll get 30 mins or something to see how he gets on.

Steven Howard has an excellent column in The Sun today...not only about Becks, but how the era of 'caps for the boys' has come to an end and someone like Owen may start to worry soon about his 'automatic' selections.
I think he deserved to be picked for this squad - Capello knows his record for England and the fact that he's had a tough time with injuries for a while now, but he'll expect him to start proving himself at Newcastle pretty sharpish, and that's gonna be no easy task!

the only real disappointment in the squad is kirkland getting in ahead of rob green. green has been superb last season and this season too and i think it's quite unfair on him to not get called up.

this is the side i'd like to see start

---------------------carson--------------------

richards-----Rio-----------King---------cole(if fit)

bentley-----gerrard-------barry-------young

--------------rooney--------agbonlahor-------

normally i'd choose hargreaves over barry but hargreaves hasn't played much football of late due to injury whereas barry plays 90 mins every week.

King is a class act when fit so i'd like to see him get a run out and i'd really like to see what bentley and young can do on the wings. although i've got a feeling capello will probably start joe cole.

i think james is a better keeper than carson but at 37 i really don't see the benefit in playing david james with the world cup in mind.

Im looking forward to seeing agbonlahor in action along side rooney or owen. Glad to see heskey in the fold, last time he played for us he proved me and probs the majority of the nation wrong.

1stepcloser said:

this is the side i'd like to see start

---------------------carson--------------------

richards-----Rio-----------King---------cole(if fit)

bentley-----gerrard-------barry-------young

--------------rooney--------agbonlahor-------

i think james is a better keeper than carson but at 37 i really don't see the benefit in playing david james with the world cup in mind.
[/QUOTE

Agree pretty much with that team and with what you say about James.

Cole to play (if fit) should perhaps read - Cole to play (if balls not cut off!)

:ohmy:

vaz02 said:
Damn Huth damn him to hell.

I hate Huth. He always seems to have a bad attitude on the pitch. Chelsea reject.

Last gasp own goal saved us from what would've been our 4th league defeat of the season at White Hart Lane. Amazing how we can have such a great game during the week and be on a high after Ronaldo's free kick got the nation talkin - and then play like donkeys for nearly 70 mins on saturday.

Arsenal win again - the heat is on! :rockon:

Liverpool players gave 6ft 7in striker Peter Crouch a stepladder for his birthday. The joke gift came with a note that suggested Crouch's girlfriend would now be able to reach him. (The Sun)

That scouse humour, gets you every time, eh?

Oh shit, just when I was thinking/hoping we'd seen the last of him.....

Fergie: Fletcher Will Get His Chance

By Site Editor Friday, 1st February 2008

Sir Alex Ferguson has said that Darren Ferguson has not fallen-out-ot-favour at Old Trafford.

On the contrary, the United boss has vowed to give the Scotland international midfielder every chance to regain a first team place in the final few months of the season.

"I feel for Darren Fletcher," Fergie told the Manchester Evening News.

"I have not been playing him in the last two or three games but he is a fantastic player for United.

"He never lets us down. He plays well in all the big games.

"He must be feeling down but I will make sure he gets his opportunities because you need players like him in the squad."

He must have seen different matches to the ones I've watched when fletcher has played.

^ I don't mind Fletcher to be honest. He's not the best but he's not the worst at Old Trafford either. I'd rate him on a par with the likes of Park Ji Sung. He must be finding it difficult now with midfielders like Carricik, Scholes and now Anderson and Nani ahead of him. Shame there's no league cup games left for him to get a run out in!

He always puts on a display for Scotland oddly enough...:shrug:

New England boss Fabio Capello's first words to his assembled squad were: "I hate losing". (Daily Star)

does he know what team he's managing? I think he's gonna be a tad upset in the next couple of years, coz if there's 1 thing that shower of shite he's in charge of are good at, its LOSING!

I'm gonna stick my neck out and go for a 3-0 win tonight. I reckon Capello's new look side is gonna get off to a good start. The crowd will be behind em and they know they've got a job to do after not qualifying for Euro 2008. We demand a result!

Aardvark747 said:
Apparently this is gonna be the line-up:

JAMES

BROWN
FERDINAND
UPSON
A COLE

BENTLEY
GERRARD (c)
HARGREAVES
J COLE
YOUNG

ROONEY

how do the papers know this sort of thing already?

not a bad side but i don't think upson is international class.

1stepcloser said:

how do the papers know this sort of thing already?

not a bad side but i don't think upson is international class.

I've thought the same about him...but i'll give him a chance as Capello as obviously spotted something in him.

I get my info direct from The Sun. Always the first for the top footy news!:drool:

Aardvark747 said:

I get my info direct from The Sun. Always the first for the top footy news!:drool:

and the first for the biggest bullshit lies going too!

i'm actually mildly excited about tonights match, the first time in ages for an england friendly. i'm really looking forward to seeing bentley and young on the wings. i've been harping on about this for ages and now it might finally happen. joe cole isn't a winger and shouldn't be used as such. in these 2 we have 2 real quick touchline hugging traditional wingers. if they don't work tonight then so be it but at least they're being given a chance :up:

^Agree with everything you said.

Do you think there will be a post match interview with Capello? How will that work I wonder...will they have a translator on standby for the live broadcast?:hmm:

Exciting times!:wink:

Just been watching coverage of the 50th anniversary of Munich on MUTV, &, despite the number of times I've trashed the officials at United, I have to say they've handled the day impeccably, with great dignity, & thought, also the people, & officials of the city of Munich, & Bayern Munich FC, who held a service, & read out some speeches, also with great dignity & affection, a real touch of class from all conected on such a sad, emotional occasion.

Watching the match on internet tv! It's a bit blurry but it's better than nothing. England look as if they're lacking a bit of confidence with some of the players so far.

But who the hell did Umbro hire to design the new kits? These are the worst ones in the past 10 years at least.

Last edited:
thanks....I had read about just after I posted. Classy move to have both teams wearing them I thought.

Beckham is still England's best dead ball player and so far Bentley all round isn't up to par when compared in my opinion.

GOAL!!! Thanks to Joe Cole's fancy legwork to Jenas, who pots it in.

Last edited:
oh god....the Swiss just equalised.

......lol....and England are back in the lead. Classic football goal with Stevie passing to SWP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom