ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
harry's turned down the job but i really thought he was going to take it. the guy's 60 years old, so he hasn't got too long left in the game and he's never managed at a "big" club as such. his current reputation has never been higher (footballing wise, we'll forget about the police incidents for now) and he would have had plenty of money to spend at newcastle.

so i'm surprised he hasn't taken it but i respect him for that too cos he's doing a great job at pompey

Pompey are really flying high at the moment, with a few good results their way they could finish top 6.

ronaldo got me loads of points in fantasy football :p

another good win for villa yesterday, would be amazing if one of us, everton or man city could take that 4th champions league spot from liverpool.

I was certain Pompey would have won.

What does everyone think of this though?

Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia has denied he told Fabio Capello he wants to play for England - but admitted he might be interested in switching international allegiance. Reports in Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport yesterday said Spaniard Almunia, uncapped by his country, had informed England manager Capello that he is ready to take up British citizenship immediately in a bid to be eligible for selection. However, Almunia, who will qualify for a British passport at the end of the year, believes there is a long way to go before he can even think about representing England.

'I would prefer to hear the Spanish anthem than the England one,' he admitted. 'But it's also true that the time of patriotism and really feeling a national anthem has somewhat gone out of fashion. 'I owe everything to Spain on a personal level but professionally I can't put a price on what has happened to me in England. 'Moreover, there is little possibility of playing for Spain. So although I would love to put on the Spanish shirt, I feel the same about playing in the World Cup.'

Oh really?! Gone out of fashion?? :confused:

Last edited:
Slipstream said:
I was certain Pompey would have won.

What does everyone think of this though?

Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia has denied he told Fabio Capello he wants to play for England - but admitted he might be interested in switching international allegiance. Reports in Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport yesterday said Spaniard Almunia, uncapped by his country, had informed England manager Capello that he is ready to take up British citizenship immediately in a bid to be eligible for selection. However, Almunia, who will qualify for a British passport at the end of the year, believes there is a long way to go before he can even think about representing England.

'I would prefer to hear the Spanish anthem than the England one,' he admitted. 'But it's also true that the time of patriotism and really feeling a national anthem has somewhat gone out of fashion. 'I owe everything to Spain on a personal level but professionally I can't put a price on what has happened to me in England. 'Moreover, there is little possibility of playing for Spain. So although I would love to put on the Spanish shirt, I feel the same about playing in the World Cup.'

Oh really?! Gone out of fashion?? :confused:

in some ways i have to say i agree with him. i hate the national anthems at the start of football matches, they always make me cringe as they're never observed as correctly as they should be. there's always booing from sections of the partizan home crowd and it just seems like a waste of time to me. although i will admit that 'god save the queen' is rather rousing and it does sound quite good whenever we play against one of the old rivals...

on the subject of almunia though i just don't understand why you would want to play for another country. i'm part welsh (about 25%) but i'd never in a million years consider playing for them if i was a pro footballer. and almunia has zero english blood in him!

seems to me like the only players who will play for different countries are the ones who just want to put themselves on the international map, to get themselves recognised and earn themselves a nice big pay day with a move to a bigger team.

Talk of nat. ants. made me think about the international scene, (something I haven't wanted to for a few weeks now) and, browsing through some of the online bookies came across the latest odds for 2010 World Cup, one of the major bookies are giving these odds for the tournament,
Brazil 4/1
Argentina 9/2
England 10/1
France 10/1
Germany 10/1
Italy 11/1
Spain 12/1
Holland 16/1
Portugal 25/1
Ivory Coast 33/1
Croatia 50/1
Mexico 50/1
Uruguay 50/1
Czech Rep 66/1
South Africa 66/1
Sweden 66/1
Bloody hell, Eng. joint third favs. way in front of Croatia, the team who totally embarrassed us at home just a few short weeks ago, way in front of Czech. Rep., Mexico, Sweden, Portugal, Holland, Spain, & even Italy, good God, do we never learn?
Maybe we should concentrate on actually qualifying first, just a thought.

Meanwhile, back in the Prem., loonypool seem hell bent on out doing the barcodes in how to run a once great club into the ground, after yesterdays revelations that tom hiccups had asked jurgen klinsmann to become gaffer at anfield, in some of todays press, it seems rafa may take legal action against his employers. Whilst back in true La-La land, and apparently shearer, & keegan have said they're interested in THE job, but not as a duo, you can't make this up, 1 washed out has-been who's never won a thing in management trying to re-live glories? past, & 1 untried, cardboard cut-out of a human being, with as much personality as a wet week-end in whitleeeeey bayyyyy, want to take on the most unforgiving job in the world, give it to mary poppins I say.

In a previous post, 1Step, I noticed you said you felt sorry for the toon army, but, don't you think they've been a MAJOR factor in the constant management merry-go-round at st.james, since king kev left only booby robson has chalked up over 100 league games, between them, souness, roeder, & allardyce were given just 184 matches to try & make something, pretty much out of nothing, & during those matches how many times has the cry, "you don't know what you're doing" rung out from the terraces, how can anybody expect to succeed under such circumstances, especially when expectation far outweighs reality, of the 4 lge. titles the club have won, 3 were claimed before WW1, & of the 6 FA Cups they've won, the last was over 50 years ago! the last 2 managers to take them to Cup finals, Dalglish, & Gullit, who both , by the way, had the misfortune to come up against probably 2 of the greatest club sides this country has ever seen, Arse '97/'98, & UNITED '98/'99, were both victims to a greater or lesser extent of the toon army's bile, 1 thing the toon should do, is realise they haven't a cat in hells chance of competing with, arse, chelski, loonypool, or UNITED in the near future, accept any good cup runs that come their way, & above all, give whatever poor sod who takes that job a fair crack of the whip before telling him & the whole world he couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery!

i feel sorry for the more rational fans of newcastle but whether they like it or not, there is a large contingent of fans there who expect success simply because they almost had it in 95/96 when they were everyones second favourite team and ending up blowing a 12 point lead.

and there's the thing of them having 52,000 fans each week at a big stadium. well what do you expect for a city with only one team in it?? there's very few cities of that size with only one football team in it, Leeds being the only other one i can think of. Having loads of people go to watch your team each week isn't some sort of badge of honour that means trophies must come with those kind of attendances. west ham fill their ground every week but their fans don't feel entitled to success like newcastle do, despite the fact that they have won trophies much more recently than the toon army (well, 25 years ago but still...)

they are a big club but sacking a manager with a fine track record after 8 months and being in "crisis" despite being comfortably mid-table is ridiculous. and i agree a lot of the fans are to blame.

Last edited:
Could've sworn I read/heard the barcodes were only going to consider an englishman, minutes after sacking 1 last week, this from the BEEB,

Newcastle open to foreign manager

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort said they have not ruled out appointing a foreign manager amid reports the club has been linked with Gerard Houllier.

that club is the ultimate soap opera!!!

jimmmm said:
[B Whilst back in true La-La land, and apparently shearer, & keegan have said they're interested in THE job, but not as a duo, you can't make this up, 1 washed out has-been who's never won a thing in management trying to re-live glories? [/B]

Kevin Keegan has won..

Newcastle United

1992/93 Football League First Division

Fulham

1998/99 Football League Second Division

Manchester City

2001/02 Football League First Division

So get your facts right before you start talking rubbish.

Kevin Keegan has won..

Newcastle United

1992/93 Football League First Division

Fulham

1998/99 Football League Second Division

Manchester City

2001/02 Football League First Division

So get your facts right before you start talking rubbish

I'll re-itereate, kk has never won a THING in management! If you consider div 1, + 2 titles as acceptable so be it!

And just to underline my opinion of this farcical team being THE standing joke of WORLD football, every time I look at a different site I see more ammunition, from the Sun,

He said: "The most important thing now is to get the decision right - and lay solid foundations for the future.

"That is why we will take whatever time is necessary in making the decision.

"This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria.

"They have to have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task.

"There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair and this is one of them.

"In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning.

"We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club.

"For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

"A manager that can speak English.

"We think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

"We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United.

"As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact.

"However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last 10 we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League.

"That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy."

On the strength of the last 2 paragraphs they've as good as ruled out a "Top Class" manager themselves, They're a bigger joke than the england national team!!!!

Its just been reported on Skynews, Mike Ashley was walking through newcastle city centre when he saw a 90 year old lady struggling to carry her shopping, "Can you manage, love" enquired a concerned Ashley, " Fuck Off" came the reply, "I wouldn't have that job for all the money in the world!!!"

Just a thought, whilst watching several geordies being interviewed on Skysports news, why the HELL don't they put subtitles on the screen when they interview them, I can't understand a bloody word any of them are saying apart from the odd - "Like, yu kna!":madspit:

here's an interesting fact to brighten up your day jimmmm

apparently big sam got paid £6,000,000 to be relieved of his contract. im sure he's dissapointed to be out of a job but not THAT dissapointed :wink:

1stepcloser said:
here's an interesting fact to brighten up your day jimmmm

apparently big sam got paid £6,000,000 to be relieved of his contract. im sure he's dissapointed to be out of a job but not THAT dissapointed :wink:

It almost beggars belief that someone can be seen as a failure, but after just a few months be given £6,000,000 severance pay, I most certainly am in the wrong business!!!

seems to me like every name is turning them down as they have finally come to their senses and seen that the newcastle job really is a poisoned chalice.

1stepcloser said:
seems to me like every name is turning them down as they have finally come to their senses and seen that the newcastle job really is a poisoned chalice.

Exactly. Tonight's match with Stoke is gonna be great...I will love it if they beat them, love it!:sexywink:

fuckin hell they've only gone and re-appointed keegan :lol:

the guy's won nothing of note in his career. it's gonna end in tears. it'll be like graham taylor at the villa all over again.

mind you it could have been worse. they could have reappointed souness :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom