ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:
i for one am happy. who would you rather have taking us to the world cup 2010, steve mclaren who's won the league cup or fabio capello who's won the league title wherever he's been and has won the european cup. i think i know....

Hey, you got an italian coach, eh?!?!

:wink: :wink:

You took the best one you could ever have from Italy, you will see a totally better England

frankly the coach could be from mars and i wouldn't care. it's quite sad that there are no top class english coaches around but that's just the way it is right now. i'd rather have a foreign manager and stand a real chance of winning something than employ another steve mclaren and see us fail once more.

i like that cappello doesn't care about ego's. at madrid he made his feelings very clear on beckham and fat ronaldo. hopefully he'll do the same in england.

babyman said:

21 titles, all this, with long (big) balls.................

Don't really care about his BOLLIX, just as long as he can kick the biggest bunch of under achievers on the planet into shape, that'll do me!

Sure, I'd like to have an English manager but I'll take this without a doubt, there was no one else up for the job anyway. Other countries around the world have foreign managers so I see no difference in this situation.

The guy is there to win, just like club football, and I can't see him jeopardising it because he is Italian. Certainly there could be a deep down lack of passion for England, he's Italian, but you cannot deny this would be made up by his passion for winning and with experience to boot.

It would be incredible if an italian would lead you english to win a title........................:wink: :wink:

But that's how it's going in Premiership, too. All the biggest english teams have since many years foreign trainers who are moreover very expensive, (except UTD obviously, even sir Alex is scottish...:wink: )
Capello is a tough character, not for sure a likeable person, not for sure a smiling one, but he's someone who is based on hard discipline. I don't know if he gonna win with England (it's a difficult thing for everyone) but for sure England will be very hard to beat. England just needed someone who can pull their strenght out, Capello is the right one, though he will surely have troubles with a couple of people, he looks nobody in the face, and in the end always has the right. That's how's always gone with him, and that's why everything he touched turned into gold. Get prepared to argues, english friends! Probably also to not spectacular games, but get ready to win! :)

i'll bet most anything that we've seen the end of beckham-gerrard-lampard-cole in the midfield.

capello likes his holding midfielders, so hargreaves should definitely draw in.

that said, capello's also been known to favour one striker and play with five midfielders so who knows.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'll bet most anything that we've seen the end of beckham-gerrard-lampard-cole in the midfield.

thank god for that. hargreaves should start every single game and luckily capello knows this. which ever way you look at it, joe cole is not a winger. he doesn't have the pace of a traditional winger and he also cuts inside far too much as he's too one footed. however he could work in this 4-5-1 IF that's what capello wants to use.

aston villa never beat man united. it's a certainty. even if we go 5-0 up you'll still win 6-5. even if we play out of our skins and you have a shocker, john o'shea will still nick a last minute winner off the post.

mind you one day something has to give....:wink:

First time I've managed to watch Ipswich play in a while. Really proud of the way we played. The ref was a disgrace, Nugent took his goal well, David James was top class, and we were missing two key players in Lee and Walters, but otherwise, I think we showed a lot of spirit. Fine performance, hopefully we'll be up there in the Prem next season...

Poor game utd and villa. Only came to life when Rooney came on. What a legend...him and Ronaldo.

Some great goals in the other games from today. One of Coventry's and also Oldham's winner at Everton :up:

more and more rumblings that rafa will be turfed at the end of the season, and that the special one will be asked to take over.

wouldn't that be something...

i feel sorry for any neutral who watched the villa united game. dreadful match.

motson wouldn't shut up about rooney even though he had nothing to do with the first goal :mad:

1stepcloser said:
i feel sorry for any neutral who watched the villa united game. dreadful match.

motson wouldn't shut up about rooney even though he had nothing to do with the first goal :mad:

He had a great chance to score within minutes of him comin on tho, with that long one two with Ronaldo then shot over the bar. :up:

Big Sam was lucky to get the draw today. Stoke were all over them for moments of the 2nd half. Should've scored. I'm sure Newcastle will be too much for them at St James' tho.

Liverpool will beat Luton in their replay at Anfield. No question.

Full draw for the fourth round of the FA Cup

Arsenal v Stoke City/Newcastle
Coventry v Walsall/Millwall
Oldham v Huddersfield Town
Wigan vChelsea
Luton/Liverpool v Swansea/Havant & Waterlooville
Southend v Barnsley
Southampton vNorwich/Bury
Man Utd v Tottenham/Reading
Portsmouth vPlymouth
Derby/Sheff Wed v Preston
Watford vWolves
PeterboroughvCharlton/West Brom
Sheff Utdv West Ham/Man City
Mansfield vMiddlesbrough
Tranmere/Hereford v Cardiff

Ties to be played on 26 & 27 January

Omfg big sam gone, im gutted.

I was confident sam was our man when he took over and i am shocked he didnt see the course. With a crunch game against united in the weekend coming this is hardly ideal preperation.

vaz02 said:
Omfg big sam gone, im gutted.

I was confident sam was our man when he took over and i am shocked he didnt see the course. With a crunch game against united in the weekend coming this is hardly ideal preperation.

Couldnt agree more. He was hardly even given a chance. Maybe Ashley and him have had some sort of fall-out behind the scenes or something.

Although, Big Sam did waste a few million quid on Joey Barton - perhaps a sacking offence in itself!

Aardvark747 said:

Couldnt agree more. He was hardly even given a chance. Maybe Ashley and him have had some sort of fall-out behind the scenes or something.

Although, Big Sam did waste a few million quid on Joey Barton - perhaps a sacking offence in itself!

Mike ashley spent to long in the stands listening to fat bastards scream anti sam abuse, he's heard the vocal minority and acted upon it imo.

We must also remember sam was never Mike's choice.

Apparently Shearer has ruled himself out of the running. I don't think he's right for the role just yet anyway. Far too soon. If he took over and after a few months still hadn't turned the club around - how would the fans be then I wonder? They wouldnt hound out their hero surely?

Harry Redknapp's name has been thrown in the hat at the bookies. I'd hate to see him go there, not be given a proper chance and then be turned on by the fans.

I've seen Redknapp's name linked with NUFC, but I'd be surprised if he left Pompey to take the job. The only person I can think of is Shearer, I know he's said he doesn't want the job, personally I think he's waiting 'til after the United game on Saturday, wouldn't look good for the "chosen" one to start with a defeat, but after he's heard the barcodes shout his name for 90 mins non stop on Sat. no doubt he'll change his mind.....IMO.

Big sam was never given a chance to implement his ideas and his style properly, every manager needs to be given time. fergie took 4 years to win a trophy at united and o'neill at villa last season went 18 games without a win over xmas, playing crap football. he was backed by the board though, bought young and carew in the transfer window and since then results have picked up and we're doing ok again.

if you don't give the manager time how is there ever gonna be stability? i feel sorry for toon fans.

Sounds like 'Arry is gonna be offered a very tempting package to go to the north east. £20m over 4 years is being rumoured, transfer funds at the ready and perhaps most tempting - a private jet to take him to and from Tyneside so he doesnt have to leave his home on the south coast!

I like Redknapp a lot and would hate to see him get slaughtered by the toon army after a couple of bad results and then thrown out on his ear. Maybe it would be different with him tho, as Mike Ashley would've chosen him himself and therefore got the man HE wants, as opposed to inheriting Freddy Shepherd's last deal. Maybe he'll give him the time and money he needs.

Nothing to do with anything in particular, but this article in the currant bun tickled me,

Former England manager Steve McClaren has revealed that mickey-taking friends bombarded him with umbrellas for Christmas. He claims to have hundreds in his house. (The Sun)

Yeah, like he's really got "hundreds" of mates!!!

^ rofl i read the article, his son made a funny joke about the brolly's lol.

How will Harry attract players to play and live in Newcastle when he lives in the south coast ?

If only the Newcastle board spent the fee's from sacking managers and making attractive packages on buying players.

Back
Top Bottom