ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Group 1 Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Albania, Malta

Group 2 Greece, Israel, Switzerland, Moldova, Latvia, Luxembourg

Group 3 Czech Republic, Poland, NORTHERN IRELAND, Slovakia, Slovenia, San Marino

Group 4 Germany, Russia, Finland, WALES, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein

Group 5 Spain, Turkey, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Armenia, Estonia

Group 6 Croatia, ENGLAND, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Andorra

Group 7 France, Romania, Serbia, Lithuania, Austria, Faroe Islands

Group 8 Italy, Bulgaria, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus, Georgia, Montenegro

Group 9 Holland, SCOTLAND, Norway, FYR Macedonia, Iceland

the way john motson got really over excited about theo walcott yesterday got on my nerves. the kid's never scored a goal in the prem and everyone goes on about him like he's the greatest thing in the world and how he should be in the england squad. just cos he's arsenals only half decent english player.

yet you've got gabby agbonlahor banging goals in for fun and nobody bats an eyelid :huh:

Michael Owen has kick-started preparations for 2010 World Cup qualification in earnest by insisting none of the Croatian team would get into the England side.

It was in the sun, so how true it is I don't know, but if he really has come out with such a statement is it any wonder why as a nation we're held in such low esteem by so many people around the world, nothing like grace in defeat is there?

Whilst on the subject of ingerland, just thought I'd let fellow interferencers know, I have officially thrown my hat in the ring and applied for the managers job, I feel I am infinitely more qualified for the job than many previous managers, only last week I won the Champions League for the 5th time in a row on Prem. Manager, having also won the prem. title 4 times, 3 FA Cups, & the League Cup once I am undoubtedly the best candidate for the job, who actually wants it, & when fatty barwick sees my CV, no doubt he will be on the phone to me straight away, wondering how on Earth he could ever have overlooked me in the past!
Just recently I've been watching a lot of local league football in the Grimsby area &, having spoken to many superstars of the local league, have in my opinion a squad in mind, who, work commitments permitted, will turn out occasionally for the national team, & have assured me, will actually play with a modicum of pride......... If they can be arsed!!!!
So, there you have it fatty, I'll do the job, & in the unlikely event I cock up big style, Ala mclown, I'll do the decent thing and walk away, & won't screw you for a single penny!!!

Just heard on the news, Tom-Tom are recalling all their Sat-Navs, due to the fact they can't locate england anywhere in Europe!!!

Tough, tough group for us.

China are ever-improving, Iraq are the Asian champions who defeated us in the continental tournament this year, and Qatar are gonna be a killer of a road-trip, heading to play them in 45 degree celsius conditions.

can we just hire copello and be done with it?

seeing shearer's name bandied about along with other middle-to-lower table epl managers terrifies me.

intedomine said:
Tough, tough group for us.

China are ever-improving, Iraq are the Asian champions who defeated us in the continental tournament this year, and Qatar are gonna be a killer of a road-trip, heading to play them in 45 degree celsius conditions.

that would be the most hypocritical thing i've ever heard if australians use hot weather as an excuse for getting beaten by Quatar!

honestly though, i'd expect the aussies to qualify for every single world cup these days. they've got some good players and a far better infrastructure for playing football than the likes of china and iraq have (i think)

you heard of a guy called nathan burns?

Alex Mcleish has left Scotland for Birmingham. Kind of a dot on the cards I guess, but it's a shame for the SFA to lose him now after he's done so well for the national side. But I spose the lure of club football in the premiership was too good to turn down....that and the extra bunse of course!

i thought he could have done better than birmingham to be honest. i know i'm a bit biased but their board hardly gave any money to bruce to work with this summer, their fans are a disgrace, couldn't sell out their local derby this season and they aren't exactly a big name team. they've won one trophy since 1875.

if i was a scottish i'd be quite pissed off about this. like you say aardy though, it's the lure of the prem and that filthy lucre that goes with it i suppose.

at least the o'neill/mcleish rivalry is back on down here in brum instead of glasgow! we all know there's only going to be one winner :wink:

1stepcloser said:

that would be the most hypocritical thing i've ever heard if australians use hot weather as an excuse for getting beaten by Quatar!

honestly though, i'd expect the aussies to qualify for every single world cup these days. they've got some good players and a far better infrastructure for playing football than the likes of china and iraq have (i think)

you heard of a guy called nathan burns?

Well, the weather will be an issue for our Europe-based players, cause they'll be coming from Europe.

Nathan Burns is a star, been a real gun for Adelaide United this season, and has done well at youth level. Still only about 19 too...

The most promising thing for us, I feel, is the potential partnership of McDonald and Kennedy up front. Macca's a small excitmeent machine who has been coming up with goals for Glasgow Celtic seemingly always at the right time, while Kennedy is a tall beanpole who plays at FC Nurnburg who, whilst injury-prone to date, is an intelligent playmaker, and especailly handy at corners. This unlikely duo could leave many an opposition gaffer left scratching their heads....

Now if we could just get ourselves a gaffer.....

Loved Ronaldo's goal last nite. I honestly thought it'd just end 1-1 and I always laugh when he sets himself up to take a free kick, legs a mile apart and taking deep breathers - cos they generally just hit the wall! He aint no Becks in that department. But gotta give him credit for that one last nite, he played well and deserved it against his old club.

jimmmm said:

Steve McLaren's looking for a job!

Thanks, but no thanks.....

We were looking at Houllier, but it looks as if you blokes are after him. Johan Neeskans would be a great get, but it's up to him whether he wants to leave the assistant job he's got at Barcelona. He was assistant to Hiddink at Germnay 06.

i'm thinking of putting a bet on middlesbrough getting relegated. i just don't know where their goals are going to come from this season.

^Agree. Southgate's gotta be next in line for the boot if he can't get some results soon. I know Steve Gibson seems like a fair guy and wants to give his managers a chance, but the limit's surely gonna be reached soon.

torres is an absolute force. 26 million was not a dime too much paid to athletico for his sevices... he single handedly kept rafa's job safe for the meantime.

to be fair, it was a great effort all around for liverpool tonite, but man is torres fun to watch.

blackburn 0 - 4 aston villa

fucking brilliant result tonight for the villa boys. i'd love to see how many teams go to ewood and hand out a thumping like that. we're now level on points with so called title challangers liverpool. in fact we'd be above them if they hadn't scored that lucky goal in the last minute at villa park.

PLEASE don't let martin o'neill become england manager. i can't rest until i know we've appointed someone else (hint hint nudge nudge jose mourinho...)

why doesn't rafa ever start crouch and torres? voronin is never going to be a top 4 player yet he keeps persisting with him.

'Arry Redknapp got nicked along with Milan Mandaric and others in the last 24 hrs. Can't believe that HR would get involved in anything underhand within the game. I sat next to Mandaric on a flight back from Slovenia earlier this year and he seemed a really nice guy - bought me a couple of whisky's and chatted about what was right and wrong with English football today. Tho he didnt go into huge detail with me naturally!

he's the one with the kidnapped brother here in Honduras, have you heard any buzz about him moving to the Wigan side?? 'cos steve bruce left the blues to coach Wigan... we've even heard about a possible move to Arsenal, 'cos wenger like wilson but he ultimately had no chance with so many other candidates for the job...

rudybay said:
he's the one with the kidnapped brother here in Honduras, have you heard any buzz about him moving to the Wigan side?? 'cos steve bruce left the blues to coach Wigan... we've even heard about a possible move to Arsenal, 'cos wenger like wilson but he ultimately had no chance with so many other candidates for the job...

yes wilson palacios. i know some birmingham fans who say he's a very good player. i've never seen him play though since i don't like birmingham city very much :wink:

i can't imagine him going to arsenal, they've already got plenty of midfielders. i could see him following bruce to wigan though, coaches often tend to do that, i.e signing players they liked who are at their former club.

it's a shame about his brother though.

Back
Top Bottom