y'all I left an awful tip for my hairstylist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
oops. I do not know what I was thinking. He is a good friend on top of it and I gave him a horrible tip. He gave me a great hair cut and there is no excuse for me being a cheap ass.

I feel awful about it and should go back next week and give him a proper tip. :der:

*move to ZC if you need to*

who here has left an awful tip and felt bad about it and went back to do something about it?

I do it all the time, not out of being cheap but because I'm horrible at doing math in my head(especially when I've been at a bar). Restaurants I usually do well because I'll pull out my cell phone and use the calculator.

But if I'm at a bar or haircut etc and I screw up, I'll usually just tip extra next time I'm there and apologize.

We don't leave tips in Australia. For us to leave a tip it's like we're saying, "thankyou for servicing me, you are beneath me and I will prove this by giving you money. I have plenty and you obviously have little.":rant: The only exception is in a restaurant. Usually it's only $5 or $10 if the person has been REALLY exceptional.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
what is the proper tipping percentage for a haircut?

The place I get my cut now, they don't accept tips, just referrals.

But my last place I usually did 15 or 20%, just like I would do at a restaurant.

It's ok, I'm still shocked as to how many people don't even tip their stylist...

What most people don't understand is that at many of these places(at least here in the states) the stylist has to "rent" their chair on a monthly basis.

wow is it really 15-20% for hair? i usually just throw in an extra $8-10, because my hair is a nightmare and i feel sorry for anyone that has to work with it. i wasn't sure what the proper tip was anyway. mine was more out of pity.

unico said:
wow is it really 15-20% for hair? i usually just throw in an extra $8-10, because my hair is a nightmare and i feel sorry for anyone that has to work with it. i wasn't sure what the proper tip was anyway. mine was more out of pity.

That's what GQ told me...:shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's what GQ told me...:shrug:

haha okay then it is settled! ;) i think i'll still probably tip like i normally do...because i'm ashamed. but ill pass the word along. i was actually in a discussion about this with my colleagues, and neither of us had a clue.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

yeah and he is worth more but he does not want to be a complete asshole and charge $100+ . So next time, I will double my tip.

wow! that's nice of him to give you a sweet discount. which brings up another point:

when you are given a discount, do you tip according to the original price or the newly discounted price? i usually base it on the original price, but i'm not sure if that is appropriate or not.

Wow, I just round up, like if it was $65, I might do $75. I don't know if the percentage is the same as a restaurant. And I think it's different if the person working on you is the owner. I don't think the owner should get tipped, since he's getting all the money. I don't know if that's right, just something I might have read once :der:

Well for me I usually shave my head down to a zero. :wink: I usually leave about 5 bucks on a 10 dollar hair cut.

unico said:

wow! that's nice of him to give you a sweet discount. which brings up another point:

when you are given a discount, do you tip according to the original price or the newly discounted price? i usually base it on the original price, but i'm not sure if that is appropriate or not.

tip on the original price, and then maybe a little something extra because of their generosity

my question is: in what kind of weird and ancient country do you still tip your hairstylist? :der:

$67 = at least $15 to $20 if you're satisfied, anything less means cheap-ass :lol:

I like my barber (girls)...my hair cuts are $7 and I give'em an extra $5....holidays I thrown in a $20..even tho' there's not much hair to cut. :shrug:

I've always been a generous tipper except for that Hotel Maid issue that we discussed about a year or two ago...

cinnaminson said:
We don't leave tips in Australia. For us to leave a tip it's like we're saying, "thankyou for servicing me, you are beneath me and I will prove this by giving you money. I have plenty and you obviously have little.":rant: The only exception is in a restaurant. Usually it's only $5 or $10 if the person has been REALLY exceptional.

I have not left a tip at a resturant for ages! The service these days is just plain.

20% of $67.00 is 13.40, plus he's been very nice to you, so I'd say 20.00 is good, but i'm not sure :scratch: I always feel guilty if I don't leave a big enough tip, but I usually do.

cinnaminson said:

Yes :yes: and thank goodness for that!! I just don't "get" why you would pay twice for something.
I hated tipping when I was in the USA, I know its what you do, but I still hated feeling like I was paying twice for everything!!

mandy1973 said:

Yes :yes: and thank goodness for that!! I just don't "get" why you would pay twice for something.
I hated tipping when I was in the USA, I know its what you do, but I still hated feeling like I was paying twice for everything!!

I hate tipping too. :mad: I do it when I need to and I generally tip pretty well, but I hate that employers use "well they'll get tipped" as an excuse to not pay their employees a living wage. The product or service should be priced so that everyone who gets paid from it gets a reasonable wage. Tipping should be reserved for extraordinary service.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So do waiters and bartenders get paid decently in Austalia?

It's one of the most low paying jobs around, but it does depend on the resturant and hours and whether you are "off the books".....I have worked on an off the books as a waitress and also as a bartender......My first "on the books"wage as working as a waitress (this is going back 15 years ago!) was i think $10.15 per hour..........but the highest i was paid was $24-$25 hour bartending (this is going back 10 years ago) this was including penalty rates for working past 10pm, public holidays, working Sundays. The rate for the the time i worked in hospitality was good IF you worked a 35-40 hr week, but anyone who worked a 20 hour week was considered lucky, it's a supplement job, classed as an in-betweeny job!

If you were lucky to score a job in a fancy resturant (which i happened to get from 1994-1996 in Sydney.....I worked with Julia Zemiro! :D ) you could still bring in a nice packet as the owner would pay more to keep you, Good waiters/waitresses get poached very easily ........we got tips (barristers were the best, especially lunch breah when they had one too many glasses of the house wine!), but you had to do a superb service, none of this mediocre crap going on now, where the waitresses don't smile, don't wear make-up, don't wear clean shirts! or don't care to tell you the daily specials or what the soup of the day is......all that is gone unless you go to the real upmarket places in the city, which is a real shame, "tipping" would come back if true service was encouraged.

tipping is ridiculous.

it means nothing anymore, with of course, some exceptions. people have come to expect it, without necessarily providing exceptional service.

i know things are different in the states, but here... no. i'll tip if i think i got good service, but if it was merely average, nuts to that.

fly so high! said:

It's one of the most low paying jobs around, but it does depend on the resturant and hours and whether you are "off the books".....I have worked on an off the books as a waitress and also as a bartender......My first "on the books"wage as working as a waitress (this is going back 15 years ago!) was i think $10.15 per hour..........but the highest i was paid was $24-$25 hour bartending (this is going back 10 years ago) this was including penalty rates for working past 10pm, public holidays, working Sundays. The rate for the the time i worked in hospitality was good IF you worked a 35-40 hr week, but anyone who worked a 20 hour week was considered lucky, it's a supplement job, classed as an in-betweeny job!

:ohmy: I don't know the exact exchange rate, but that's amazing.

You wouldn't want to know what they get paid here in the states...

Back
Top Bottom