y'all I left an awful tip for my hairstylist... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #76
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Many thanks to the people who pointed out that wait staff and bartenders (in the U.S., anyway) are paid less than minimum wage -- it's $2.13 per hour. With tips, our income usually comes out to more than minimum wage. If it doesn't, your employer is required to pay you the difference. On a good night I'll make over $20 per hour, but I've worked in places where it was a lot less than that. The disparity seems huge when compared to, say, Australia, but isn't the cost of living much higher there?

And we do have to claim our tips as income, which is taxed. All of those taxes come out of that $2.13/hour paycheck, which means our paychecks are pretty much nonexistent. Mine for this week was for about six dollars. So there's a reason that wait staff in America has a sense of entitlement when it comes to tips: tips constitute our entire income. That sense of entitlement does bother me (you should take pride in your job, dammit, even if it sucks), but I do understand the cynicism that comes with the job, especially if you've been doing it for a long period of time. Customers -- not most of them, of course, but you'll get several of them in any given shift -- are incredibly rude, make outrageous/impossible requests, and will make bogus complaints in an effort to get free food or avoid leaving a tip. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone complain that their order was incorrect or cooked improperly after they've already eaten it, even though they'd tell me it was "fine" when I checked on them while they were eating. If the kitchen messes something up or takes a long time, my tips are affected even if I had nothing to do with the screw-up. I've been insulted, sworn at, and had men ask, "Are you on the menu?" I've been accused of being racist and unprofessional for making a joke about silverware.

If we were paid decently, your food/drinks would cost a lot more, but you wouldn't have to tip. It all evens out, I guess. And I realize I'm making waiting tables and bartending sound like slave labor when it isn't; I actually like my job, and I have a lot of great regular customers. But when I have a bad day, it's baaaaaad. The day that I get my degree and find a decently-paying job cannot come soon enough.

As for hairdressers, I usually leave around 20%, mainly because the girl who colors my hair does a fantastic job and partly because I know how badly it sucks to work for tips. And also because Revlon discontinued the one fail-safe haircolor-in-a-box that looked great on me, those bastards.

GibsonGirl: that taxi driver is an ass.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #77
The Fly

Location: Erie, Pa. USA a place that has to be believed to be seen
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Nothing burns my ass more than being left a poor tip! I'm a hair dresser and have been burned many a time. It's a slap in the face when you've spent hours with a client and you've done a great job (and the client tells you so) to find out at the end of the day that so in so left you $ 5 bucks for services that took you three hours to do! I work in a high end salon and if your going into the salon knowing that you should be prepared to tip at least 15-20%. Usually the sytlists only get 50% com with no hourly wage.

I have no problem with clients who are truely pleased with the services but forgot to tip and make up for it later .

It is the clients who know how much the services are going to be who think that by leaving you a buck they 're doing you a favor because they've paid x amount of dollars .

anyhoo,,,,,, be kind to your stylists they have scissors! lol

and if you don't want to tip big there is always FANTASTIC SAM's

Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
holy moly! I knew that minimum wage in the states was shit, but not THAT shit!

By the way, most minimum wage jobs here in Australia, if you are over 18 start from about $15 an hour. Then $10 an hour days are long gone! MY friend works part time at Subway and their "minimum" wage is $19 an hour, supermarket worksers its $18.50 an hour, more if you are casual.
MCDonalads is $17.50 for over 18 and more for casual etc.

I think I know where I'll be moving to in the near future.

ETA: What is the exchange rate in US Dollars?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #79
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Well say the average is $15 an hour
or $19 for casual

15AUD= 12.50US

19AUD= 15.90US

but ig uess with tips you'd get up around there an hour?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #80
Refugee

Location: Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirl2u
Nothing burns my ass more than being left a poor tip! I'm a hair dresser and have been burned many a time. It's a slap in the face when you've spent hours with a client and you've done a great job (and the client tells you so) to find out at the end of the day that so in so left you $ 5 bucks for services that took you three hours to do! I work in a high end salon and if your going into the salon knowing that you should be prepared to tip at least 15-20%. Usually the sytlists only get 50% com with no hourly wage.

I have no problem with clients who are truely pleased with the services but forgot to tip and make up for it later .

It is the clients who know how much the services are going to be who think that by leaving you a buck they 're doing you a favor because they've paid x amount of dollars .

i love this post, especially the last sentence...it's so true!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Tipping is a stupid idea and YOU SHOULD NEVER FEEL PRESSURISED into giving one.

Their not providing you a service from the goodness of their heart, its their job. Believe it or not they get paid for doing it.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Believe it or not they get paid for doing it.
You obviously haven't read a single post in here.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #83
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by partygirl2u

The thing which pisses anti tipping folk off is that quite simply, the solution to low or outright poor wages is not to introduce an honour system of tipping. It's a scenario no one is happy with; the workers whine that people are not generous enough and the customer grits their teeth and curses. Don't waste your energy getting angry at your clients. It's not really the client's responsibility to fluff up your wages. The climate of tipping in the US is a result of shit awful laws protecting the wages of sevice industry staff.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #84
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
amen!

i think tipping for EVERYTHING is bullshit, and all the guilt/annoyance/frustration that goes along with t from the tippee and the person getting tipped. Tipping should be voluntary for GOOD/GREAT service, and if you're shit, NO TIP FOR YOU! [/soup nazi]

I think people need to stop think of asking for more money for fair work as "greedy" or shameful, and fight for proper saleries. I mean $5 an hour? That is utter highway robbery!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #85
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I do it all the time, not out of being cheap but because I'm horrible at doing math in my head(especially when I've been at a bar). Restaurants I usually do well because I'll pull out my cell phone and use the calculator.

But if I'm at a bar or haircut etc and I screw up, I'll usually just tip extra next time I'm there and apologize.
I can understand math being a little tricky when you're drunk - but here is my relatively easy trick for calculating (for someone who is not great with doing math in your head) -

I generally leave a 20% tip as long as the service was reasonably good, more if it was great or the bill is quite small (like breakfast at a cheap diner). Most people can calculate 10% of a number very easily, you know just moving the decimal place one number to the left. To get a 20% tip, just think of what the 10% amount is and then double it (never hurts to round up to the next closest whole #):

Ex: Bill comes to $19.25

$19.25 is practically $20

10% of $20 is $2

Doubling $2 is $4

If you're a stickler for 15% that isn't all that hard either, just figure 10%, then add whatever 1/2 that amount is:

Bill is $28.97

$28.97 is basically $30

10% of $30 is $3

1/2 of $3.00 is $1.50

$3 + $1.50 = $4.50

Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

that's the way i do it too bonosloveslave and the way i calculate sales at stores too
Old 06-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

I can understand math being a little tricky when you're drunk - but here is my relatively easy trick for calculating (for someone who is not great with doing math in your head) -

I generally leave a 20% tip as long as the service was reasonably good, more if it was great or the bill is quite small (like breakfast at a cheap diner). Most people can calculate 10% of a number very easily, you know just moving the decimal place one number to the left. To get a 20% tip, just think of what the 10% amount is and then double it (never hurts to round up to the next closest whole #):

Ex: Bill comes to $19.25

$19.25 is practically $20

10% of $20 is $2

Doubling $2 is $4

If you're a stickler for 15% that isn't all that hard either, just figure 10%, then add whatever 1/2 that amount is:

Bill is $28.97

$28.97 is basically $30

10% of $30 is $3

1/2 of $3.00 is $1.50

$3 + $1.50 = $4.50

But remember not everything is taxed on the bill. A bottle of wine at a restaurant isn't taxable...