y'all I left an awful tip for my hairstylist... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
what is the proper tipping percentage for a haircut?
i give 50%

but, I get a ten dollar hair cut

Old 05-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But that\'s the whole thing that many of you are missing. They AREN\'T minimum wage earners.

When I was in college my hourly wage was $2.30 w/ tips it came out to be a little more than the hourly minimum wage at the time.
I don\'t think anyone is complaining about tipping wait people who have always been paid below minumum wage and expected to make up the rest in tips. I know I\'m not. It\'s all the other stuff, the tip me tip you tip everyone for everything trend that\'s come around the states in the last few years. Even the hotel maids leave envelopes asking for tips.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But that's the whole thing that many of you are missing. They AREN'T minimum wage earners.

When I was in college my hourly wage was $2.30 w/ tips it came out to be a little more than the hourly minimum wage at the time.
That was sort of my point in the subsequent post, that many people who aren't from the US aren't aware of this wage disparity. I just checked, and here in Ontario, our minimum wage is $8.00 per hour. Minimum wage for wait staff is $6.95 per hour, plus tips. So, if a waiter or waitress were to make a $1.05 tip for each hour he or she were working here, they'd be in line with some of the people they are serving.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
woah, I seem to have stirred up an interesting debate about our cultural differences and practices in regards to tipping. I find it odd when I travel outside of the US to not leave a tip for a wait staff or for a taxi.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
woah, I seem to have stirred up an interesting debate about our cultural differences and practices in regards to tipping. I find it odd when I travel outside of the US to not leave a tip for a wait staff or for a taxi.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply that it's not customary to leave at least a 15% tip for wait staff, or even more if the service is good, in Canada (I know it differs in other parts of the world though). I was just a little surprised at the venom expressed by staff at that website I posted, where it sounds like some of them think of 15% or less as an insult, no matter the level of service offered.

And seriously, where DOES it stop? Say you're in a retail setting, where the staff make minimum wage. Are they given tips for good service? Why not, when everyone else seems to expect it? It just boggles my mind.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

I don\'t think anyone is complaining about tipping wait people who have always been paid below minumum wage and expected to make up the rest in tips. I know I\'m not. It\'s all the other stuff, the tip me tip you tip everyone for everything trend that\'s come around the states in the last few years. Even the hotel maids leave envelopes asking for tips.
Oh, I understand it gets out of hand in someplaces. But I think there were some in here that didn't realize the average U.S. waiter aren't making minimum wage. These people need tips, it's the only way they survive. Outside of the restaurant industry, I reserve tipping according to service.

I tip(when they allow) the person who cuts my hair, just because I have a close friend who's a hairdresser and know the added costs that a lot of them have to pay that many don't know.

I usually tip taxi drivers, especially if they were helpful or pleasant. These guys make hardly anything and usually don't hike up their rates according to gas prices, which right now I really feel sorry for them.

The one place I really can't stand, is places with bathroom attendants. I usually tip at the end of the night if they were nice(out of guilt), but come on, I've been washing my hands without anyone's help since I was a kid, or at least since college.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

And seriously, where DOES it stop? Say you're in a retail setting, where the staff make minimum wage. Are they given tips for good service? Why not, when everyone else seems to expect it? It just boggles my mind.
Well I do know some in the high end retail industry accept tips, but that's usually at places that make custom suits and what not...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
my question is: in what kind of weird and ancient country do you still tip your hairstylist?
hair stylist expect it I do believe and that would be The United States of America
Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

what about those people that chill out in the public restrooms? are we supposed to tip them?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #55
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Don't eat yellow snow. That's a good tip.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

it sure is. i was a very naive child
i understand that it is a job, yet at the same time, i find it kind of ridic to pay someone $1 for giving me a napkin after washing my hands. i'm not too excited about giving tips to them.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
what about those people that chill out in the public restrooms? are we supposed to tip them?
$1 a pee for throwing on the hot water and handing me a towel...!

but I won't buy the candy or hair jel!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:08 AM   #59
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Quote:
first of all i can't imagine paying $67 for a hair cut lol
unless it was an up do or something?
it better look good

for a standard haircut (i usually just go to pro-cuts or salon that charges $25-$35).
i usually just tip $5.

i suppose you could always go back and just tell him you didn't tip enough, or just wait till next hair cut and tip him extra?

and yeah i had the same experience when traveling to the netherlands not tipping the wait staff, etc.
although one restaurant rono and i went to the service started off good.
but the waitress barely came back and checked on us.
finally we were ready to pay and no waitress in sight.
finally we got so fed up with waiting that we went to go find someone to pay.
we found our waitress and another waitress sort of 'taking a break' and just sitting there gabbing in one of the other rooms.
that's one time i thought they might have provided better service had tipping been a factor.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

If anyone does want to check what waiters/bartenders/etc get paid in the US (stats are from 2004) check out this link from the US Department of Labor Department of Labor Statistics and scroll down to the Earnings section. I'm sure many of you will get a real kick out of the minimum direct wage an employer must pay a "tipped" employee.
OMG!........It works out to be around AUS$8 per hour and this is including tips! That's insane, i just would not work for that, plain and simple. i have to admit i always have assumed US wait staff prolly had made between $6-$8 per hour NOT INCLUDING tips, that's why it made sense to me that the income would be supplemented with tips!