y'all I left an awful tip for my hairstylist... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Woah, luckily we don't leave tips here in Italy, otherwise I'd always have to do the maths, and I'm not that good at it

Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cinnaminson
We don't leave tips in Australia. For us to leave a tip it's like we're saying, "thankyou for servicing me, you are beneath me and I will prove this by giving you money. I have plenty and you obviously have little." The only exception is in a restaurant. Usually it's only $5 or $10 if the person has been REALLY exceptional.

I love this country.

I hate 5c pieces so if I'm going to get anywhere between 5c and 45c change I say 'kepp the change.'

Old 05-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 PM
15-20% at the very least...and extra if they are nice.

I've never not left it and had to go back. I would go without than not be able t tip them properly.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #34
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I cannot comprehend the ingrained unwritten law on tipping which exists in the US. It makes me wonder what the hell your unions are doing to fight for your working rights...

But I really don't want to have an FYM debate with anyone, so please leave me naive as to your union uselessness.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You wouldn't want to know what they get paid here in the states...
If anyone does want to check what waiters/bartenders/etc get paid in the US (stats are from 2004) check out this link from the US Department of Labor Department of Labor Statistics and scroll down to the Earnings section. I'm sure many of you will get a real kick out of the minimum direct wage an employer must pay a "tipped" employee.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:17 PM
In Germany you only give tips at restaurants or bars. But not even near the 15 to 20%.
€5 (about $6.70) would be a very good tip, and I couldn't even afford to give more.

It's really a way to show the waiter or waitress that they did a good job. It's an incentive to do a good job, and why should I reward someone for a shitty job.

I've learned that in Denmark the tip is included in the price for the meal. The "culture of tipping" is really different.

In Australia it's a popular backpacker job, and it can be paying decent. If you are a good waiter you can earn a lot, and it's less hard than fruit picking.
But most places pay you not more than A$10 an hour gross, so either you are a good waiter and work for a good restaurant, or you try to find something else.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I don't know the exact exchange rate, but that's amazing.

You wouldn't want to know what they get paid here in the states...
$1.00USD=$1.21AUS

So, at $10.15AUS = $12.50US
Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Sheesh. I couldn't imagine tipping my hair stylist $20.00. That's insane. I give $5.00 - $10.00 at the most, and only if I'm extremely satisfied with what has been done.

I can't stand the North American obsession with tipping. Where I come from, IF you tip it's based purely on performance. People back home don't expect you to tip them. Here they do, and they don't just expect small tips either. Last semester, I was late for class and had missed my bus. It was the middle of winter so I wasn't exactly going to walk. I called a cab. I'm only a five minute drive from the university, so I only expected it to be about five or six bucks. The fare cost $8.50! I thought, screw that, I'm not giving a big tip, $8.50 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a five minute trip. That was my lunch money gone for the day. I gave the cab driver $10.00 and told him to keep the change, and he got SARCASTIC with me! 'Oh THANK YOU, how KIND of you,' he muttered under his breath. Of all the bloody nerve!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #39
War Child

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cinnaminson
We dont leave tips in Australia. For us to leave a tip its like we\'re saying thank you for servicing me, you are beneath me and I will prove this by giving you money. I have plenty and you obviously have little The only exception is in a restaurant. Usually its only $5 or $10 if the person has been REALLY exceptional.
I am moving down there! There used to be only resturant tipping here in the states too until sometime about 10 or 15 years ago everyone started expecting tips for everything. It has gone too far and it makes everything more expensive. If people would pay decent salaries instead of expecting customers to make up the difference we would never have come to this point.

Waiters-Waitresses have always been tipped, all this other stuff that has come along has gotten out of hand IMO. Now sometimes you see little tip jars on gas station counters. I know everyone works hard and deserves more money but so do I and I cannot afford to suppliment everyone elses incomes. Now that they all expect it, and now that society brands you a skunk for not doing it, I do not see how it is ever going to end. There are places and services I avoid rather than to be put on the spot for a tip I cannot afford. And I never pay over 10 bucks for a haircut, gosh.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Re: y'all I left an awful tip for my hairstylist...

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
oops. I do not know what I was thinking. He is a good friend on top of it and I gave him a horrible tip. He gave me a great hair cut and there is no excuse for me being a cheap ass.

I feel awful about it and should go back next week and give him a proper tip.

*move to ZC if you need to*

who here has left an awful tip and felt bad about it and went back to do something about it?

Just tell him you didn't have enough of money on you to give him a proper tip. Thats happened to me before.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

I got a free massage from an intern practicing at our school and I couldn't tip him. I had no cash b/c I lent it to my boss the day before b/c the ATMs were down, and then that day all the ATMs were still down.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't understand entirely the culture of tipping either, even though I do it because it's expected of me. There are MANY minimum wage workers who do not get tipped. When's the last time a data entry person making minimum wage got tipped for doing an adequate job? Or a clerk in a corner store? Just doesn't happen.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

For some eye-opening thoughts on the whole tipping debate, go here to read the thoughts of food service workers:

http://bitterwaitress.net/smf/index....ea30&board=9.0

I read through the entire forum a year or so ago, after stumbling across the site (I think someone on inteference linked to the thread about celebrity diners).

Something I gathered from one of the posts is this: some US wait staff make extremely low hourly wages, but are taxed at a higher rate, because their tips are automatically included into their gross income, whether or not they actually receive the tips. So, in essence, if they spend a certain number of minutes waiting on a table and receive no tip for their efforts, they end up losing money. Maybe people in the industry can correct me if I'm wrong, or explain better than I did.

Also, there are many, many posts expounding on how tourists from other countries (Canada included) are notoriously bad tippers when they visit the US. In defense of the rest of the world, I'd like to point out that people probably aren't aware of the pay and taxation structure of wait staff. I know I wasn't until I read this. I'm old enough to remember when tipping was a reward for good/great service, and pretty much the only people who were tipped were wait staff. Now, everyone's got their hand out. And according to that site, 15% is the bare minimum that they expect, for barely adequate service. For good service, it goes up from there. Many of them even look at 15% as an insult.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #44
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I consider myself to be a good tipper, but I once got a haircut that was horrible. She had cut off tons more than I'd requested, and there was this one section on one side of my face that was just inexplicably shorter than the rest of my hair. I was so horrified that I only tipped her $2. I did feel bad about it later...but, yeesh, she jacked up my hair!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
There are MANY minimum wage workers who do not get tipped. When's the last time a data entry person making minimum wage got tipped for doing an adequate job.
But that's the whole thing that many of you are missing. They AREN'T minimum wage earners.

When I was in college my hourly wage was $2.30 w/ tips it came out to be a little more than the hourly minimum wage at the time.