XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Johnny Weir just dropped out of the medals, he left out one of his 8 jumps in the program and got really low technical marks.

ETA Canadian Emmanuel Sandhu sucked eggs in his performance, I don't even think he landed a single jump.

Right now, Canadian Jeff Buttle is skating soso, fell on his quad attempt but completed the revolutions, touched the ice with one hand during a triple-double combo, and turned a triple into double, might move up into a medal position depending on how crappy the following skaters perform cause they all suck relative to Plushenko.

ETA Buttle is waiting to see if Japanese skater will bump him from bronze position.

Bronze for Buttle. Plushenko Gold, Swiss skater Lambiel with Silver.

Last edited:
Dan Patrick and US women's hockey player Angela Ruggiero, from this fortnight's ESPN Mag:

DP: Bono or The Edge?
AR: Bono, for sure.
DP: But he's like 5'4"!
AR: Yeah, but he's sexy because of the other things he's involved with, like erasing Third World debt.
DP: So if you run into a guy on campus and he says, "I'm not very good-looking and don't have any money, but I'm trying to save the Third World from debt," you say, "Boy, you're sexy!"?
AR: Ha-ha! Definitely.

Unfortunate about Sandhu, he can skate well on occasion. He's wildly erratic, to say the least. Johnny doesn't have a quad and you've got to have a quad to compete for a medal these days. I'm a little miffed at myself for bringing up the USA Home page because it announced that Plushy won, spoiling any suspense for tonight. No surprises, actually.

trevster2k said:
Guess who won the gold in men's figure skating with highest scores ever in both programs under new format even with a double instead of a triple. So far everyone else hasn't even come close to a clean skate.

That's what I call a "splatfest". I'm taping the competition but I wonder if it's so awful I end up taping the ice dance over it? Ice dance is my favorite discipline in figure skating. There are no splatfests in it, just interesting footwork. Falling is pretty rare. I don't give a damn that they don't do jumps. They do just fine without them.

The men's competition tonight had to be just about the most boring figure skating competition in history. :yawn: I have to work tomorrow night and I don't even know if I want to bother taping ice dancing.

And I saw Plushenko's show yesterday... OMG!
It was sooooo great!! Graceful, perfect, natural!

Too bad that while he won a record of scores every one was talking about the case of doping of another athlete :(

I didn't care for Plushenko's skating- like they said, it was jumps with arm movements in between. I thought Matt Savoie's program was beautiful and I love the way he skates, same for Buttle. The new system rewards the style of Plushenko and I guess that's the future of mens' skating, I hope not. To each his/her own but it's not my thing. I was so happy for Evan Lysacek.

Johnny has admitted he was "terrified" and it showed.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I didn't care for Plushenko's skating- like they said, it was jumps with arm movements in between. I thought Matt Savoie's program was beautiful and I love the way he skates, same for Buttle. The new system rewards the style of Plushenko and I guess that's the future of mens' skating, I hope not. To each his/her own but it's not my thing. I was so happy for Evan Lysacek.

Johnny has admitted he was "terrified" and it showed.

It's called "Olympicitis" and afflicts many skaters--they hold back because of the nerves. I think Lysececk didn't feel any pressure in the FS and just nailed the program. I don't know why Plushenko gets such high marks for flailing his arms and jumping. It's got something to do with the powerful Russian Skating Federation, I'm sure.

speedracer said:
Dan Patrick and US women's hockey player Angela Ruggiero, from this fortnight's ESPN Mag:

Angela Ruggiero :drool:

She's really nice, too. I met her at the World Championship they had here a couple years ago. I remember she was asked 1,000,000 questions by every reporter about the arena PA announcer repeatedly pronouncing her name "Roo-jer-ree-oh", and she got so annoyed by it! :laugh:

Maybe I should start erasing Third-World debt... :hmm:

the rockin edge said:
that snowboarding cross was good stuff :up:

Shelley Rudman got Britains first medal today :D Silver in the womens skeleton :rockon:

Have you people watched the women's snowboard cross final yet? If you thought the men's was exciting, you ain't seen nothing yet. Hope the boarder who went through the fence is OK. The paramedics were with her when the coverage went over to curling :( . The commentator didn't seem too concerned so hopefully it was just a precaution...when she came off she was only inches from cleaning up this guy who was stood there. :ohmy: You'll also never guess who wins...... (it did sort of serve the woman who you think is gonna win right when you see what she does and considering some people think she should have been disqualified for pushing in the last round...)

About Britain's medal: You should hear the BBC commentators. They're all like, "And now it's over to ice hockey. Team GB actually won gold in this event...in 1936". :applaud: to Shelley; her boyfriend's doing the same event today so maybe another medal? :fingerscrossed:

OMG Fusar-Poli & Margiglio, retired for four years, have just skated their way into first place in ice dance in the Compulsory Dance.:madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
I have never liked this couple.

DaveC said:
This has got to be the biggest moron in figure skating:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/figure/columns/story?id=2333288&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos3

Half an hour walk, and he refused to do it to compete in the Olympics. You've GOT to be kidding me. :rolleyes:
Well frankly I can see not walking half an hour cause that would likely affect his legs/skating performance.
But just wait for the next bus and don't spaz out. I'm kind of surprised his coach didn't arrange for transportation ahead of time to be sure he got there at the appropriate time.

kellyahern said:

From what I remember about them, their skating was kind of ugly/sloppy. I wonder how they managed to get into first place for the compulsories? :shrug:

We have jokes on a skating listserver that this is Cinquatto's idea for preventing a Russian sweep of the medals. Seriously, I hope they don't win the damn thing. I wish they weren't in the competition. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

kellyahern said:

Did they really win the world champonships in 2001? For some reason, I remember them as not being that good :reject:.

Yeah, they won the Worlds in 2001. We always felt like the judges were holding them up. It seems like they still are.

Back
Top Bottom