XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lysecek screwed up his performance just like most of the men tonight, I think he is 8th or 9th.

Earlier today, Canadians Beckie Scott & Sara Renner finished second in the cross-country sprint. During the second leg of Sara Renner's sprint, another competitor accidently stepped on her pole going up a hill, cracking it off. Fortunately, a Norwegian coach handed Renner a new pole so she could continue without losing too much time. Thanks Norway for showing such great sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.:up:

I am getting pretty pissed off that everytime I turn on the TV I am told who has won for the day and what has happened!! Why bother watching!!

ljclary said:
I am getting pretty pissed off that everytime I turn on the TV I am told who has won for the day and what has happened!! Why bother watching!!

I know:angry:

thankfully we get Canadian TV that's live

I missed all the drama with Zhang and Zhang because I switched over to the Comedy Channel to watch The Daily Show. :mad: I forgot that I could just tune in at midnight for the TDS re-airing.

It sounds like the woman skater was incredibly brave and I'm sure it was very moving, but I don't remember anyone taking a major spill and still getting a silver medal, or even a bronze, in the past. Does it have something to do with the oh-so-confusing new rules for figure skating?

trevster2k said:
Earlier today, Canadians Beckie Scott & Sara Renner finished second in the cross-country sprint. During the second leg of Sara Renner's sprint, another competitor accidently stepped on her pole going up a hill, cracking it off. Fortunately, a Norwegian coach handed Renner a new pole so she could continue without losing too much time. Thanks Norway for showing such great sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.:up:

that's cool :up:

NBC used Pride for the backing music during their highlights tonight

it was the best part of their coverage i've seen (actually heard i guess) so far:|

Bono's shades said:
I missed all the drama with Zhang and Zhang because I switched over to the Comedy Channel to watch The Daily Show. :mad: I forgot that I could just tune in at midnight for the TDS re-airing.

It sounds like the woman skater was incredibly brave and I'm sure it was very moving, but I don't remember anyone taking a major spill and still getting a silver medal, or even a bronze, in the past. Does it have something to do with the oh-so-confusing new rules for figure skating?

I ain't no figure skating expert but yes, the rules have changed. It seems that you are allocated points for the difficulty and composition of the program. The points awarded depend on how well you pull off the elements. Like the Chinese pair were attempting a quad throw which only they have ever done, yeah, she fell but they got credit just for trying it. There was a deduction for the fall and apparently, it is no big deal to stop after an injury and continue. Plus the rest of their routine was nearly flawless and filled with complex lifts and jumps and throws. They didn't deserve gold but I agree with the awarding of the silver in this case. If you look at the whole 4 minutes or however long they skated, the only problem was one fall. The other teams weren't flawless either which allowed this team to still win a medal.

I actually like this new judging since it seems to reward the skaters for taking chances while a safe program may not get enough points to warrant a win. Similar to degree of difficulty in diving. Like a Canadian skater today didn't go for the quad and the commentator said he better have a flawless performance since he didn't attempt the quad in order to challenge the leader. It is an incentive for pushing the athletes to new levels or never reach the podium with a stellar average program with only triples and doubles as opposed to quads and triples. Like I said before, I only watch during the Olympics but man, the stuff those skaters do is just crazy, it takes great skill and agility.

I only watch this sport during the Olympics so maybe someone else has more knowledge of how they do this.:wink:

After lsitening last night to how the skating is judged you have it pretty dead on. There is no longer a perfect score. You get first on the trick you attempted (they showed a triple lutz is worth 7 points) You then get scored from -3 to 3. 3 being perfect -3 being you fell. They also have instant replay so they can go back and look how many times you turned in slow mo.

I think the system is interesting-I do think it just makes people go out and do tricks though. There is no way Kwan would have won with this scoring. It really is no longer about grace but more about athletism. I mean quite possible you could go out try 10 triple axles land none of them and get 40 points!!

Its kinda like writing your name perfect on your SATs!!!:wink:

Old system or new system, Plushenko would be placed exactly where he is right now.:wink:

Last edited:
MumblingBono said:
How in hell did they pick Torino? It looks like they sprayed snow on a Rivieran resort. Give me cold, forbidding Nordic locales surrounded by snow-capped ramparts.

I just can't get into it.

coz Torino is the town of chocolate :wink: !!

The last skater I saw last night was Johnny Weir. He might be a weirdo :wink: but that boy can skate. I liked the Swiss guy too. The skating coverage is horrible, can't they just show it all the way through? :yawn: I am SO SICK of the commentators talking about the new scoring system and Dick Button is supremely annoying-always has been.

Now I have to avoid the net and the news tonight until the free skate-is that today or tomorrow?

Last edited:
I hate NBC's coverage, too. Johnny Weir is a good skater, too bad about Evan Lysacek's problems. He's a good skater when he's on. I've been struggling to avoid sites with results on them, too. The freeskate is tomorrow, so you don't have to avoid sites today, they won't say anything. Dick Button always annoys me, he nit-picks, I just wish they'd shut the hell up. Eurosport from the U.K. never talks during skating performances. Unfortunately you have to be from the EU to pick up their feed. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
MumblingBono said:
How in hell did they pick Torino? It looks like they sprayed snow on a Rivieran resort. Give me cold, forbidding Nordic locales surrounded by snow-capped ramparts.

I just can't get into it.

Shit, did you ever heard of Alps?
:eyebrow: :shocked:
There you have Torino

MrsSpringsteen said:
The last skater I saw last night was Johnny Weir. He might be a weirdo :wink: but that boy can skate.

Did you see the human interest segment on Weir? Sounds like the Bode Miller of figure skating.

Just saw an interview on CNN with Emily Hughes----she was SOOOO pumped & excited to be going to the Olympics!! :)

Can I just say how glad I am that she's going instead of Michelle Kwan?? Besides the fact that Kwan shouldn't even have been eligible for the Olympics, she's rubbed me the wrong way for a while now. Ever since the last Olympics when she was expected to get gold, then sucked & got bronze....THEN went ahead and skated in the unjudged event post-medal-awarding to "Fields Of Gold," wore a gold outfit, and cried the whole time. The fact that they pick that program well before they even get to the Olympics, that means that she fully 100% expected to get the gold. How obnoxious is that?!?!

Anyway, I'm extremely happy for Hughes---it's just awesome that this young woman now gets to experience the Olympics, as she rightly should. What an unbelievable experience!

Utoo said:

Can I just say how glad I am that she's going instead of Michelle Kwan?? Besides the fact that Kwan shouldn't even have been eligible for the Olympics, she's rubbed me the wrong way for a while now. Ever since the last Olympics when she was expected to get gold, then sucked & got bronze....THEN went ahead and skated in the unjudged event post-medal-awarding to "Fields Of Gold," wore a gold outfit, and cried the whole time. The fact that they pick that program well before they even get to the Olympics, that means that she fully 100% expected to get the gold. How obnoxious is that?!?!

Actually, I heard she had prepared a backup routine, outfit and music. She was going to wear a rugby shirt and torn-up khakis and play "Loser" by Beck, but the PA operator lost the tape.

speedracer said:

Actually, I heard she had prepared a backup routine, outfit and music. She was going to wear a rugby shirt and torn-up khakis and play "Loser" by Beck, but the PA operator lost the tape.

:lmao:

MrsSpringsteen said:
The last skater I saw last night was Johnny Weir. He might be a weirdo :wink: but that boy can skate.
Happened to flip channel 7 on while Weir was skating.
His outfit (and post skate interview) are the reasons mens' skating will never rival womens' for TV ratings.

Hewson said:

His outfit (and post skate interview) are the reasons mens' skating will never rival womens' for TV ratings.

Well what should he wear? :wink:

I think he just thinks he's a "character", it's a bit irritating but I just want to watch him skate anyway, who cares about the rest :shrug: Maybe he's the Manny Ramirez of mens figure skating.

The hockey game between the Russians and Slovaks is awesome. 4-3 for the Slovaks at the moment. Olympic hockey with the NHL players is some of the best hockey you will ever see.:drool:

Gaborik scored again, 5-3 Slovakia, back to back for Gaborik, zing, upper right corner just like at the targets. Wow, Russians got weak goaltending this year.

Holy crap, the Latvians are beating the US 3-2 right now late in the second, WTF?!?:ohmy:

Still a whole period to go but sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom