XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heh, something like that.

I wish I could be at the Olympics. I'll be in Italy in June and July and it seems so far away!

Hockey is Canada's crack cocaine. We can't get enough, and even when we get a bad trip (1998 WJHC and Olympics) we still crave more. Especially when it's international hockey.

Every kid in Canada (at least the boys) has played, plays, or will play hockey at some point. I played for 11 years, and it's almost like you're a social pariah at school if you DON'T play hockey as a kid.

But yeah, Canada's women's team would beat just about any men's national team in the world, except for the huge men's hockey superpowers (USA, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and of course Canada).

We have it in our blood.

It's what happens when the northern 2/3rds of a country is in permafrost.

DaveC said:
It's what happens when the northern 2/3rds of a country is in permafrost. [/B]

:)

I was always attracted by Canada for this reason when I was a kid. I once saw a documentary about Canada at school when I was living in Germany, and I got very excited of it, it's still a country that I would really visit! I hope, one day maybe...............and I will take a pair thousand of your players in Italy!
:wink:

Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice. If I have more time I'd love to go down to Naples, Amalfi and Positano as well!

Great! I study in Siena!! Fantastic, Anitram!!
You're gonna visit all the most beautiful cities of Italy, it's gonna be an endless dream for you by visiting Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples, Siena.........................Siena is actually the smallest of all, but it got a great history, it's a middle age city, it's getting back to 1600 in Siena, You will have a very nice time! Welcome in Italy!
:happy:

Just found this post and had to say how proud I am of Jennifer Heil!

And I'm jealous of you anitram, lol. I am DYING to go to Italy:drool:

Prendo una parte del mio doppio maggiore in Italia (sto in una classe introduttivo d'italiano), e e' possibile che posso prendere una semestre a Firenze in due anni! Toscana... :drool:

I did all that off the top of my head so it might be terribly wrong! :yikes:

But all these shots of Torino make me want to go visit really badly.

DaveC said:

Speak for yourself. I think curling is damned boring to watch. :yawn:

Curling is best when the yelling begins in earnest..."look out now...that's it....here it is!!!...Yesss!" :love:

For real action and excitement, it was hard to beat this offering from yesterday :combust:

capt.sge.jnt05.110206065112.photo00.photo.default-389x272.jpg

phanan said:
No, only the channels associated with the NBC network (CNBC, Universal HD, etc.) are giving it to us in the USA.

You'd think they would have learned how to do this by now.

It's a travesty :tsk: Especially with the gazillion channels they offer you on cable, and you STILL can't find an event to watch. I haven't seen one yet (haven't been home in the daytime to watch anyways if they were on).

I did watch most of the Opening Ceremonies last night. Flipped channels during the parade of athletes, but did see the Americans. I enjoyed Peter Gabriel's "Imagine" - I actually recorded just that part. Yoko was a little odd :huh:
Did anyone mention the Ferrari that spun out onto the stage Vrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!
heyjoe67_ferrari.gif

verte76 said:
NBC's coverage has already raised my pulse. Last night they showed the opening ceremonies on tape delay but showed an hour of fluff before. I haven't been watching this afternoon as I don't have a TV in my computer room. But yeah, Olympic coverage in the U.S. is always terrible.

i am soo :censored: pissed off at NBC now.

i don't have cable and when i look at the schedule for just NBC there is NO LIVE COVERAGE THE ENTIRE FIRST WEEK :down:

so i watch the same day tape today and the amount of ad breaks is insane, during a ski race earlier they had 2 full length breaks during the last lap of the race!

NBC suck & some of the commentators make me want to slap them :madwife:

i'm really hoping ABC does a much better job of the world cup coverage this summer

Well, the reason they show the opening ceremonies on tape delay is they can put it in prime time. :shrug:

I won't have to worry about tape delay or lack of coveragefor very much longer as I will be leaving for Italy in 140 hours or so. :wink:

I am beyond excited. :hyper:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Well, the reason they show the opening ceremonies on tape delay is they can put it in prime time. :shrug:

I won't have to worry about tape delay or lack of coveragefor very much longer as I will be leaving for Italy in 140 hours or so. :wink:

:hyper: awesome :up:

i know about opening ceremonies being on delay, i'm talking about the events. i never watch the opening anyway :wink:

I can't wait for the Men's Downhill tomorrow. As much as I love Bode (how can you not like him?), I think Daron will medal and has a great shot at the gold.

WildHoneyAlways said:

That's awesome!!! Will you be our source? :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

You are so friggin' lucky!! Have a safe and fun trip!

Oh to be you...

The wonders of modern technology means that I'm actually going to receive some live coverage of this despite living in a place that doesn't snow.

It's a bit odd, to say the least. I guess it's catering to expats or people with niche interests and it is an Olympics after all but personally, I care about it as much I do the Summer Olympics.

It's been diagnosed as a new groin injury which happened yesterday on a jump

Very sad and disappointing for her, I would have loved to see her skate and at least get a chance. Michelle has had an amazing career as a skater. Good luck to Emily Hughes :up:

anitram said:
Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice. If I have more time I'd love to go down to Naples, Amalfi and Positano as well!

Hey! What about milan? never forget about it!! :eyebrow:
and it's now a u2-dvd city!
(sorry, it's my hometown...:wink: )

Ciao,
Tom

That's too bad about Michelle, but Emily is a good skater and this is going to be her first international Seniors competition! Groin injuries are just about the most painful injuries to have if you're a skater. It hurts to move your leg. Best of luck to both Michelle, who's probably going to turn pro.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Well the CBC in Canada ran it live and then ran another tape delay in prime time, so it's not like it isn't possible to do both. NBC is just too cheap to take its soaps off the air for a day.

And have a great time in Italy! Lots of pics!!

phanan said:
Yeah, Michelle will be making a ton of money now, so she'll be ok...

She's already made a ton of money. No doubt she'll continue to rake it in. Now the only lady skater we have with a snowball's chance in hell of winning a medal is Sasha Cohen.

anitram said:

Well the CBC in Canada ran it live and then ran another tape delay in prime time, so it's not like it isn't possible to do both. NBC is just too cheap to take its soaps off the air for a day.

NBC holds on to their coverage with an iron fist.

It is almost impossible to see highlights following an event, and the prime time coverage seems like 40% commercials and filler sprinkled with Olympic competition.

Back
Top Bottom