XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #466
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Definite cutie!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Great job. Great inspiration for the whole province and the young people of Newfoundland.
This was the sight today all over Quidi Vidi Lake, Burton's Pond...anywhere there was ice.

It's a proud day, here, and in the rest of the country. The team did an amazing job.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Old 02-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:57 PM
PLUSHENKO! (Sorry, just watched the exhibitition skate). What an incredible virility in his skating.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ava79
I don't think I have ever been more proud of our hockey players than I am right now. It was beautiful. And on Sunday we're going to show Sweden where the best hockey players come from - and the right answer is NOT Sweden!!
I'm right with you Ava!! As I'm sure every Finn worth his/hers salt is!!! This is Finlands hockey team first EVER Olympic final, so lets hope and pray they keep their wits about them and show our beloved enemies who has the best hockey players!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

To the casual viewer, it still seems incredibly subjective.
There is always going to be subjectivity in figure skating judging. But there's far less of it in this system than there was with the old 6.0 system. Sasha got the silver based on her choreography and footwork. She had a strong comeback after her early stumbles.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:57 PM
How many times do you hear announcers refer to silver medal winners in a way that sounds like "first place loser"????

Participating in the Olympics is an incredible achievement.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Participating in the Olympics is an incredible achievement.
I agree, but that's not the mentality in the world today-especially in the US. It's a shame.

US bosses vow crackdown on wayward athletes

By Nelson Graves

TURIN (Reuters) - U.S. Olympic bosses promised to crack down on wayward athletes after a freestyle skier got into a fight at the Winter Olympics, an Alpine champion was seen out late in a bar the night before a big race and two speedskaters openly feuded.

"This team has a taken a hit in terms of its comportment here in Italy because of a couple of incidents involving some high-profile athletes," Jim Scherr, chief executive officer of the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC), said.

Scherr cited freestyle skier Jeret Peterson, who was ordered to return home early after getting into a fight.

He also pointed to speed skaters Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick, whose public spat made headlines throughout the Games.

Privately U.S. officials noted that Bode Miller, one of Alpine skiing's most high-profile figures but without a medal at the Turin Games, had been twice spotted socializing late, once on the night before the prestige downhill race.

"It's unfortunate that a few colored the rest of the delegation," Scherr told a news conference. "We will be making some significant adjustments going into Beijing and Vancouver."

Pressed to elaborate, he said the USOC would make sure athletes understand they must prepare themselves physically and understand that at the Olympics, they represent not only themselves but also their countries.

"Coming out of these Games we will do a better job as an Olympic Committee to monitor those situations and make sure that both of those edicts are followed to a higher degree," he said.

Peterson, who finished seventh in the freestyle skiing aerials on Thursday despite completing one of the most difficult jumps, was sent home early after "an altercation with an acquaintance from the United States," the USOC said.

Scherr and USOC chef de mission Jim McCarthy attributed the bickering between Davis and Hedrick in part to the individual nature of speed skating.

"They are both very competitive individuals and it's hard in an individual sport," McCarthy said.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Naughty, naughty athletes. No wonder Bode didn't win any medals if that's his lifestyle.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #475
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:57 PM
I am so proud of our Canadian athletes! Yesterday was a great win for the men's curling team. I normally never watch, but that was awesome to see! They're a fantastic curling team.

I woke up this morning in time to see Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen win the gold and bronze in women's 5000m speed skating. What a race!

We now have 22 medals, which is such an incredible accomplishment. We have so much to be proud of this year, and so much to look forward to in Vancouver 4 years from now. I can't wait to see all of this in my backyard!

Go Finland in hockey!!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie

the US is going to crackdown on "wayward athletes?" Give me a break. Are we turing into the Soviet Union that essential was a robot factory cranking out athletes with no personality or fun loving spirit? I'll take my athletes getting drunk and enjoying themselves any day of the week over prim and proper.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #477
Blue Crack Addict

It doesn't put forth the best image of the US in front of people from other countries, when that image is already so tarnished.

I'll take someone like Joey Cheek any day of the week, he is a fantastic representative for the US. Getting drunk and constantly talking about it, and the poor sportsmanship of Hedrick and Davis, doesn't equal "fun" to me. Bode can have his "fun" outside the Olympics, there's plenty of time then

An athlete can have plenty of personality and not be like Bode Miller et al.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Who cares about image? They're athletes not policy makers. I like Olympic team to be full of athletes with college mindset of hey we're in the olympics lets go get have some drinks and cause some trouble.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

If you're going to be obnoxious, you better have medals to back it up.

It's not about muzzling athletes, but there were quite a few American olympians who really behaved shamefully. The speed skaters made this into a pathetic soap opera while, for example, Canada's Cindy Klassen shut up and skated her way to 5 medals. You have American girls skiing with tiaras and tiger ears and pearls around their necks. You simply don't see that from athletes in other nations. You have Bode Miller boozing it up with busty blondes the day before his race and then coming home empty handed. I didn't see Anja Paerson, Janica Kostelic or Michaela Dorfmeister in a bar the night before their races.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Julia Mancuso may have worn a tiara...but she also won a gold and what is the problem with wearing that? or tigger ears if your nickname is Tiger?