XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Big shots like Katarina Witt are saying this is a better, less subjective system. The old 6.0 system was incredibly subjective. This one is a little more objective. I have figured out that much. This one is a computerized system. The judges put numbers in a computer, the score comes out and ranks the skater. I may have this thing figured out by Vancouver.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #452
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Hahahaha 4-0 Finland, Russia is getting

Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

The difference here is that Sasha didn't blame anyone else for her performance.
Well, she was skating ALONE

The woman from the Italian ice dance pair blamed the guy for dropping her when they literally fell from first place to out of contention for a medal. She gave him the cold shoulder, evil eye, folded arms, etc. for 2 days. They had it on film. It was much worse than the fueding US speedskaters.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #454
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I'm still trying to figure out this scoring system. Basically, if someone has a more complex and intricate program than someone else, their base marks are higher (or should be). Thus it's possible for someone to fall and finish ahead of someone who does not. Actually, the judges have been overmarking Slutskaya in program compenent scores, the artistic impression marks, all year. Last night they did not. I'm told that Fumie Siguri didn't do too much besides her jumps, thus her fourth place finish.
Yes, if you attempt something harder and screw it up you get more points than someone who didn't try it but didn't mess up. It's like that gymnastics too. Also, artistry is 50% of the program, so if you have no choreography or graceful moves, you get graded way down.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #455
Refugee

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I don't think I have ever been more proud of our hockey players than I am right now. It was beautiful. And on Sunday we're going to show Sweden where the best hockey players come from - and the right answer is NOT Sweden!!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Big shots like Katarina Witt are saying this is a better, less subjective system. The old 6.0 system was incredibly subjective. This one is a little more objective. I have figured out that much. This one is a computerized system. The judges put numbers in a computer, the score comes out and ranks the skater. I may have this thing figured out by Vancouver.
To the casual viewer, it still seems incredibly subjective.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Tracy Wilson kept taking the time to try to explain it, using a big computer screen. Each element is worth a certain amount. Some are a higher value than others. You may start at a 9.8 and if you goof it up or step out of it end up with 4.1 of it. But some skaters only do jumps that were only worth 3.5 to begin with, so therefore a fall on a harder jump is worth more than a completed easy one. You may not notice, but if a skater plans for a jump to be a triple and they turn it into a double, they lose point value, even though to you it looked like a successful jump. This is what cost Nancy Kerrigan gold in '94, one of her triples was doubled. So the girls who didn't goof last night didn't have all the difficulty Sasha had, even though she goofed. Sasha's artistry and choreography are superior to most of the skaters', too.

Back to what Tracy was telling us, in men's, Yvgheny put himself out of reach of anyone else by landing a quad- triple-double combination, which no one else can do. Only 2 other guys even tried a quad, they both fell, but got credit for trying. Because Yvgheny landed his, his score was so high, nobody could catch him and he ran away from the pack with the gold.

One more thing, if you do a hard move when it's over halfway into your program (when you're more fatigued) you get more points for it than you would if it were done earlier in your program. Some skaters are smart enough to plan this, others (or their coaches) aren't. One girl did a hard move only 10 seconds before the halfway point was up and Scott Hamilton was groaning, why, just wait 10 seconds!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #458
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If it is still confusing to you (one who is far more familiar with the sport) imagine how it appears to one who watches infrequently.

I wish there was a way to match scores with any move (footwork, jumps, spins, etc.). Otherwise, it comes across as so subjective - it becomes meaningless.
It's imperfect but still entertaining and IMO casual fans wouldn't care for the details on the scoring as much. How much can one follow in terms of speed, difficulty, footwork, etc. unless you're an uber-fan with an eye for detail. Even the skating with grace part can be deceiving to the casual fan. I think too much detail would bog down any broadcast of figure skating. I mean the short program was annoying as hell when the announcers kept yammering. Imagine that with even more detailed presentations. Boring.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #459
New Yorker

Sasha Cohen is cute as hell and I think even hotter for pulling the gamesmanship thing on Michelle Kwan in the last Olympics!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #460
New Yorker

Its like boxing IMO. Who really can follow every detail and be sure on the scoring unless its blatantly obvious. I also think alah, looking for the KO, figure skating has that extra attraction of wondering who's gonna fall and screw up the rest of their program and thus have all their dreams sink in a couple of minutes. Great drama. Even watching the replay of Cohen, I was still smarting when she fell twice (even after knowing the results and such). That's great entertainment right there.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Well, she was skating ALONE
You don't say...

She skates alone, but she has her coaches who work on her routine. The point I was making is that she didn't give any excuses for her performance.

Using Peyton Manning as a comparison was a bad example.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #463
Refugee

WOW!! With Canada out of the picture I can honestly say there are no two teams I'd rather watch than Sweden vs Finland. As soon as Canada was out I wanted this matchup for the final.It's the equivalant to USA vs Canada. In fact it might even be a bigger rivalry. I'm super excited for this game on Sunday and even though I'm a big Forsberg fan I'm cheering for Finland all the way to capture their first ever gold. GO FINLAND GO!!!! Back to back dream Gold medal games for men's hockey at the Olympics

2002: Canada vs USA
2006: Finland vs Sweden.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #464
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

Humiliation of the figure skating kind is the best!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #465
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Congratulations to Canada's Mens Curling Team on winning their first gold in that event and winning Newfoundland & Labrador's first ever Olympic gold medal.

Mark Nichols played amazing in the final 2 games, he was definitely the difference for the Gushue rink. Great job. Great inspiration for the whole province and the young people of Newfoundland. I wish I was home for this homecoming. The whole province shut down today for this event, people who don't even know what curling is watched it. All of Canadian media is embracing Newfoundland & Labrador tonight and celebrating this tremendous victory for the Gushue rink and our province's first ever gold medal.

Go Finland in hockey, you deserve the gold!!!!