XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #436
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:36 PM
I purposely avoided the results yesterday, I wanted to be surprised.

Comments:

Sasha, like Peyton Manning, is extremely talented but can never totally deliver when the pressure is on, you could see it in her eyes. She was very lucky to hold on for silver. She was very gracious about it, saying she didn't think she was going to medal at all and was happy to have it. This is good, I hate seeing people whine and cry over silver or bronze like they 'lost'. The odds against getting any medal, considering the amount of competition from all over the world, is enormous. Then consider thousands more didn't even make the Olympics! If you get a medal, any medal, you are one of the fortunate ones. Be happy!

The commentators, especially Bob Costas, are terrible about this.(treating silver and bronze as a 'loss.) He did this long speech last night and Sasha's and Irina's dreams being dashed, well excuse me but I saw them on the podium! Irina has 2 now, a silver from last time and a bronze this time. He also did the speech for Michelle Kwan saying how her career would always be tainted by no gold, treating it like she was a complete loser! I think being a double medalist, even if they are silver and bronze, like Irina, Michelle and Nancy Kerrigan, are maybe even a better career haul than one gold that came out of nowhere as a surprise by someone we never hear about again.

Congrats to the Japanese girl whose name I can't spell, I'm happy for her, and so glad Japan finally got a medal at the games. They have a lot of good athletes and I was sorry things weren't working out for them.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #437
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Wasn't Shizuka Arakawa amazing? plus I love Violin Fantasy of Turandot by Puccini, fantastic piece of music.
Yes she was, and I love that piece of music too

She was conservative because she knew she could be, the homer cheering by the NBC announcers is/was blatantly obvious and distasteful to say the least.

Sasha didn't use her groin issue as an excuse, and she said the silver was a gift. (she had even changed out of her dress according to the paper I read this morning). I think it's a sign of personal maturity on her part that she hasn't always displayed, that might be much more valuable in her life than a gold medal could ever be.

Congratulations to Shizuka

Old 02-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #438
Blue Crack Addict

I hate this "gold or nothing" mentality that rules some minds. An Olympic silver medal isn't shabby. In fact, it's pretty damn cool.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #439
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hcbiggs2002
Woohoo Tanja Poutiainen won the Silver in the womens shalom today!!! Finlands first Olympic medal in the Alpine events EVER!! Well done Tanja! Now if we could just keep the momentum up for tonights Curling match (in which even if Finland loses the guys will still get the silver) and Hockey match against Russia!!!!
It's been a great day for us Finns and I hope it'll only get better!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #440
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
She was conservative because she knew she could be, the homer cheering by the NBC announcers is/was blatantly obvious and distasteful to say the least.
We could only make it through two skaters last night. It seems like the commentators all want to be Simon Cowell, with dry, sarcastic comments ripping performances.

I wish I could get better coverage that focused on the athletic competition.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #441
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:36 AM
I absolutely LOVED Arakawa's performance last night! The music was beautiful - one of my favourite pieces. I knew the results before watching, but it was incredible. I'm very happy for her!

I loved seeing the Italian woman skate as well - she brought me to tears. She was so happy and proud to be skating in her home country, even though she knew she wouldn't win a medal. Truly a classy woman.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

We could only make it through two skaters last night. It seems like the commentators all want to be Simon Cowell, with dry, sarcastic comments ripping performances.

I wish I could get better coverage that focused on the athletic competition.
It's quite pathetic, that's for sure. Such a shame.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #443
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RocknRollKitty

Sasha, like Peyton Manning, is extremely talented but can never totally deliver when the pressure is on, you could see it in her eyes.
The difference here is that Sasha didn't blame anyone else for her performance.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

I loved watching Silvia Fontana skate, too. She was obviously so happy just to skate on Olympic ice. However, I turned off the TV after Emily skated and went to bed. I had the inside scoop that the competition was a splatfest and didn't have the stomach to watch it because I wanted Slutskaya to win. I was so disappointed. If I had a song to describe the ladies' competition for me it'd be Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".
Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #445
Refugee

Finland got silver in curling! YAY! Obviously gold would have been even better (congratulations Canada!) but I can't complain really. Now fingers crossed for our hockey team to win tonight...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #446
Blue Crack Addict

How can a skater have two falls in a performance, yet still get a medal?

I wish they could better convey the scoring of a performance - so you knew how many points were available and how many awarded for each move.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #447
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ava79
Finland got silver in curling! YAY! Obviously gold would have been even better (congratulations Canada!) but I can't complain really. Now fingers crossed for our hockey team to win tonight...
Despite having Canada lose to Finland, I'm all for the Finnish hockey team as Saku Koivu is awesome to the awesomest level.

And congrats to our curlers.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #448
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Despite having Canada lose to Finland, I'm all for the Finnish hockey team as Saku Koivu is awesome to the awesomest level.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #449
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
How can a skater have two falls in a performance, yet still get a medal?

I wish they could better convey the scoring of a performance - so you knew how many points were available and how many awarded for each move.
I'm still trying to figure out this scoring system. Basically, if someone has a more complex and intricate program than someone else, their base marks are higher (or should be). Thus it's possible for someone to fall and finish ahead of someone who does not. Actually, the judges have been overmarking Slutskaya in program compenent scores, the artistic impression marks, all year. Last night they did not. I'm told that Fumie Siguri didn't do too much besides her jumps, thus her fourth place finish.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm still trying to figure out this scoring system.
If it is still confusing to you (one who is far more familiar with the sport) imagine how it appears to one who watches infrequently.

I wish there was a way to match scores with any move (footwork, jumps, spins, etc.). Otherwise, it comes across as so subjective - it becomes meaningless.