XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Kwan and Cohen will both choke. They always fall at the Olympics and on jumps they have otherwise mastered.

In other Olympic news, I have 4 curling tickets for the 20th if anyone want to buy them off me. They're cheap, I promise. We'll still be in Rome that day and need to try to sell the tickets.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Speaking of choke, I am sadly waiting to watch our Canadian athletes underperform which is an unfortunate legacy of Olympic team and I don't think it's the athletes fault. I hope the media leaves the team alone, doesn't hype them up and make them saviours of Canadian athletics. I blame the media since many of these athletes who anonymously compete on the international stage prior to the Olympics are pressured by the media and the public to win. No one has paid attention to the recent success of our bobsleigh, skeleton, aerials, cross-country and skiing athletes so don't bother em, don't pressure em, let em do their thing and I think they will do alright. Some people follow these sports but a tiny number.But typically, when the Olympics start, they are plastered about as Gold medal hopefuls even though most Canadians have never heard of them and when they don't win a medal, people call them choke artists. It's difficult enough to reach a world class level, let alone having all these expectations thrust upon you by people who don't follow your career except for a couple of weeks every four years. Many of our Canadian athletes don't have the media training for the spotlight and I believe it has a negative mental affect on their performances. I'm all for supporting the athetes, and after they win, let's lift them up on our shoulders. But I'm content with them doing their best and if they win great, but they know all Canadians support them, we don't need to be poking and prodding them the whole time.

I think even the athletes are beginning to notice this especially after the recent controversy of some athletes not wanting to carry the flag during the opening ceremonies.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 AM
trevster, I think it'll be even worse this time because the Olympics are seen as the precursor to Vancouver 2010 and the media will immediately jump on any underperformers and start talking about what a national embarrassment it will be not to excel in our own backyard in 4 years.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
trevster, I think it'll be even worse this time because the Olympics are seen as the precursor to Vancouver 2010 and the media will immediately jump on any underperformers and start talking about what a national embarrassment it will be not to excel in our own backyard in 4 years.
I hope we don't do that, and you're right about the underperformer point, even the head of the Olympic team is predicting a 3rd place finish at this Olympics, man, shut the hell up, let the athletes do their thing, stop setting them up for a fall. You can't guarantee victories, strange things happen at the Olympics, people trip, get sick, etc.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Kwan and Cohen will both choke. They always fall at the Olympics and on jumps they have otherwise mastered.
It always seems like someone comes out of nowhere to win that.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:00 PM
^

It's the starting day!

Go Italy!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

if u want you can have a look here (not only Italian, of course.. english & french, too):

http://www.torino2006.org

I love the logo!
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And the mascottes, Neve & Gliz, are so sweet!

Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #39
War Child

Local Time: 08:00 AM
so question, i'm in the central time zone, and the ceremonies come on at 7:00pm. about what time can i expect the torch to be lit by. i want to know if i can make it to a 9:30 movie or not.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:00 AM
I've always enjoyed watching the winter games. I love watching freestyle skiing, snowboarding and of course, hockey. Go Canada!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 10:00 AM
This year I am determined to understand curling .
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Curling-most consecutive rocks of your colour closest to the centre get a point. 10 ends, or rounds where each team throws 8 rocks, 2 per player on 4 person teams. Each person throws 2 rocks consecutively. The team with the most points after 10 ends wins. The team with the rock closest to the centre gets a point and then a point for any other rocks closer than the next opponent's rock. ( so if you have the closest rock and the 2nd and 3rd closest, you get 3 points, However, if you have the closest rock and your opponent has the 2nd and 3rd and you have the fourth closest, you only get 1 point.) Best scenario is to try to get more than 1 point per end which is why you will see teams try to blank an end (get O points), this lets the with last rock retain last rock for the next end, which is of course an advantage. After you score points, last rock advantage goes to the other team.

Curling looks easy but it is really hard on the groin, knees and back ( you are basically doing lunges over and over again) and there are a ton of technical things like turning the rock so it spins perfectly towards the right direction, throwing the perfect weight so it doesn't go too soft or too hard, sweeping the rocks helps speed up the rock, you have to know different angles as rocks bounce off each other, it's like a giant chess game on ice.

Canada loves curling, we love it. Any other Canadians, feel free to continue curling education.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Game on!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Can you knock the other guy's rock out of the way, like in shuffleboard?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
Can you knock the other guy's rock out of the way, like in shuffleboard?
Yeah!

I love curling. More than I should.

The opening ceremonies were cool.

Bring it!