XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kwan and Cohen will both choke. They always fall at the Olympics and on jumps they have otherwise mastered. :|

In other Olympic news, I have 4 curling tickets for the 20th if anyone want to buy them off me. They're cheap, I promise. :wink: We'll still be in Rome that day and need to try to sell the tickets.

Speaking of choke, I am sadly waiting to watch our Canadian athletes underperform which is an unfortunate legacy of Olympic team and I don't think it's the athletes fault. I hope the media leaves the team alone, doesn't hype them up and make them saviours of Canadian athletics. I blame the media since many of these athletes who anonymously compete on the international stage prior to the Olympics are pressured by the media and the public to win. No one has paid attention to the recent success of our bobsleigh, skeleton, aerials, cross-country and skiing athletes so don't bother em, don't pressure em, let em do their thing and I think they will do alright. Some people follow these sports but a tiny number.But typically, when the Olympics start, they are plastered about as Gold medal hopefuls even though most Canadians have never heard of them and when they don't win a medal, people call them choke artists. It's difficult enough to reach a world class level, let alone having all these expectations thrust upon you by people who don't follow your career except for a couple of weeks every four years. Many of our Canadian athletes don't have the media training for the spotlight and I believe it has a negative mental affect on their performances. I'm all for supporting the athetes, and after they win, let's lift them up on our shoulders. But I'm content with them doing their best and if they win great, but they know all Canadians support them, we don't need to be poking and prodding them the whole time.

I think even the athletes are beginning to notice this especially after the recent controversy of some athletes not wanting to carry the flag during the opening ceremonies.

trevster, I think it'll be even worse this time because the Olympics are seen as the precursor to Vancouver 2010 and the media will immediately jump on any underperformers and start talking about what a national embarrassment it will be not to excel in our own backyard in 4 years.

anitram said:
trevster, I think it'll be even worse this time because the Olympics are seen as the precursor to Vancouver 2010 and the media will immediately jump on any underperformers and start talking about what a national embarrassment it will be not to excel in our own backyard in 4 years.

I hope we don't do that, and you're right about the underperformer point, even the head of the Olympic team is predicting a 3rd place finish at this Olympics, man, shut the hell up, let the athletes do their thing, stop setting them up for a fall. You can't guarantee victories, strange things happen at the Olympics, people trip, get sick, etc.

And the mascottes, Neve & Gliz, are so sweet!

246190_m.gif

so question, i'm in the central time zone, and the ceremonies come on at 7:00pm. about what time can i expect the torch to be lit by. i want to know if i can make it to a 9:30 movie or not.

Curling-most consecutive rocks of your colour closest to the centre get a point. 10 ends, or rounds where each team throws 8 rocks, 2 per player on 4 person teams. Each person throws 2 rocks consecutively. The team with the most points after 10 ends wins. The team with the rock closest to the centre gets a point and then a point for any other rocks closer than the next opponent's rock. ( so if you have the closest rock and the 2nd and 3rd closest, you get 3 points, However, if you have the closest rock and your opponent has the 2nd and 3rd and you have the fourth closest, you only get 1 point.) Best scenario is to try to get more than 1 point per end which is why you will see teams try to blank an end (get O points), this lets the with last rock retain last rock for the next end, which is of course an advantage. After you score points, last rock advantage goes to the other team.

Curling looks easy but it is really hard on the groin, knees and back ( you are basically doing lunges over and over again) and there are a ton of technical things like turning the rock so it spins perfectly towards the right direction, throwing the perfect weight so it doesn't go too soft or too hard, sweeping the rocks helps speed up the rock, you have to know different angles as rocks bounce off each other, it's like a giant chess game on ice.

Canada loves curling, we love it. Any other Canadians, feel free to continue curling education.

kellyahern said:
Can you knock the other guy's rock out of the way, like in shuffleboard?

Yeah!

I love curling. More than I should.

The opening ceremonies were cool.

Bring it!

We are all snowboarders here! can't wait to see the snowboarding competitions. Me, my husband and boys all snowboard this year we went to lake placid, whiteface it was awsome. although I hit my head on the ice. WEAR A HELMUT!!!!:huh:

That was the lamest lighting of the torch ever. Fireworks do not equal the flame in my opinion!!

trevster2k said:

Canada loves curling, we love it. Any other Canadians, feel free to continue curling education.

o012514A.jpg

GUSHUE GUSHUE!!! :hyper: :bump:

anitram said:

The opening ceremonies were cool.

Bring it!

I thought Peter Gabriel was great singing Imagine. I'm really looking forward to the hockey...Funny how some teams are so small, like South Africa's. I didn't think they had snow there...in fact, don't people from there hate snow? :confused:

angelordevil said:

Funny how some teams are so small, like South Africa's. I didn't think they had snow there...in fact, don't people from there hate snow? :confused:

What amazed me the most was that Liechtenstein has only 34,000 people total...and still sends three athletes!! Amazing.

I am so torn...I loved all the Roots wear..and the HBC hats are kinda cool ( I am a big hat freak)...but I am not sure about the uniforms...I do love the font of the writing..hopefully the rest will grow on me.

:(

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:55 a.m. ET Feb. 11, 2006

TURIN, Italy - Michelle Kwan cut short her first practice because of a sore groin Saturday and left open the possibility of withdrawing from the Olympics if she’s not 100 percent healthy.

The five-time world champion stopped short of saying she was considering dropping off the U.S. team. But asked directly, she replied:

“I really have to pay attention to how I am feeling these days. Dropping out, it’s not something I want to do, but I have to listen to what my feelings are.”

Kwan said a long plane ride and marching in the opening ceremony caused enough problems for her to skip a run-through one day after arriving in Turin. She planned to practice Sunday after getting treatment for the groin injury, which kept her out of last month’s U.S. championships and forced her to get a medical bye into her third Olympics.

“Physically, if I’m not able to skate, I would give my spot up,” she said.

If she drops out before the Feb. 19 draw for the women’s event, then Emily Hughes, the third-place finisher at the national championships and younger sister of 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes, would take her place.

The nine-time U.S. champion quit the 40-minute workout session with about 15 minutes remaining and smiled at assistant team leader Taffy Holiday when she left the ice. When she skated, though, she looked serious, even dour, and missing three triple flips couldn’t have helped her mood.

When she stood by the sideboards and chatted with team leader Roger Glenn, he could be seen holding her hand or arm several times as if comforting the nine-time U.S. champion.

The 25-year-old Kwan was given a medical bye onto the U.S. team after a groin injury sidelined her for the national championships a month ago. On Jan. 27, she passed a monitoring session conducted by U.S. Figure Skating, and this was her first public practice.

It was not pretty. Her first jump, a smooth triple toe loop, came 13 minutes into the workout. She then landed on two feet on her first triple flip, and fell hard on her next attempt at the jump. Kwan also cut another try into a double flip.

Most of the practice was spent on footwork and spins. At one point, Kwan did her footwork from her free skate and Glenn and U.S. judge Charlie Cyr seemed to be checking the levels of difficulty.

Kwan left the ice without her short program music being played. Her agent, Shep Goldberg, said he believed the music never arrived at the practice rink, but Kwan’s early departure was unexpected — and unlike her.

A silver medalist in 1998 and a bronze winner in 2002, Kwan is the rare skater who has stuck around for three Olympics.

MrsSpringsteen said:
:(

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:55 a.m. ET Feb. 11, 2006

TURIN, Italy - Michelle Kwan cut short her first practice because of a sore groin Saturday and left open the possibility of withdrawing from the Olympics if she’s not 100 percent healthy.
s stuck around for three Olympics.

Why am I not surprised? :|

What a great opening ceremony............................italian taste is :kiss: :kiss:

Oh, yeah!

Italy vs Canada Ice Hockey.........................................oh my..................I fear for a debacle for us italian newbies..................:(

trevster2k said:

Speak for yourself. I think curling is damned boring to watch. :yawn:

We just won our first medal, a gold in moguls from Jennifer Heile (sp?)!

:applaud:

babyman said:

Italy vs Canada Ice Hockey.........................................oh my..................I fear for a debacle for us italian newbies..................:(

This is going to be a massacre. You may not want to watch. :huh:

My prediction: 13-0. Italy gets a grand total of 2 shots all game. :|

Back
Top Bottom