XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Lysecek screwed up his performance just like most of the men tonight, I think he is 8th or 9th.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Earlier today, Canadians Beckie Scott & Sara Renner finished second in the cross-country sprint. During the second leg of Sara Renner's sprint, another competitor accidently stepped on her pole going up a hill, cracking it off. Fortunately, a Norwegian coach handed Renner a new pole so she could continue without losing too much time. Thanks Norway for showing such great sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Bode Miller's been DQ'd from the combined event after straddling a gate.

Black Tuesday!
Bode Miller straddling

Old 02-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #184
War Child

I am getting pretty pissed off that everytime I turn on the TV I am told who has won for the day and what has happened!! Why bother watching!!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ljclary
I am getting pretty pissed off that everytime I turn on the TV I am told who has won for the day and what has happened!! Why bother watching!!
I know

thankfully we get Canadian TV that's live
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled

I know

thankfully we get Canadian TV that's live
Dis!!!! Why don't you post in the Lemonade Stand anymore?

We miss you!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm betting that Gretzky will do an amazing job with the Canadian men's hockey team.

Actually, make that hoping
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
I'm betting that Gretzky will do an amazing job with the Canadian men's hockey team.

Actually, make that hoping
betting huh? I wonder if Janet knows about this
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
I missed all the drama with Zhang and Zhang because I switched over to the Comedy Channel to watch The Daily Show. I forgot that I could just tune in at midnight for the TDS re-airing.

It sounds like the woman skater was incredibly brave and I'm sure it was very moving, but I don't remember anyone taking a major spill and still getting a silver medal, or even a bronze, in the past. Does it have something to do with the oh-so-confusing new rules for figure skating?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Earlier today, Canadians Beckie Scott & Sara Renner finished second in the cross-country sprint. During the second leg of Sara Renner's sprint, another competitor accidently stepped on her pole going up a hill, cracking it off. Fortunately, a Norwegian coach handed Renner a new pole so she could continue without losing too much time. Thanks Norway for showing such great sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.
that's cool

NBC used Pride for the backing music during their highlights tonight

it was the best part of their coverage i've seen (actually heard i guess) so far
Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I missed all the drama with Zhang and Zhang because I switched over to the Comedy Channel to watch The Daily Show. I forgot that I could just tune in at midnight for the TDS re-airing.

It sounds like the woman skater was incredibly brave and I'm sure it was very moving, but I don't remember anyone taking a major spill and still getting a silver medal, or even a bronze, in the past. Does it have something to do with the oh-so-confusing new rules for figure skating?

I ain't no figure skating expert but yes, the rules have changed. It seems that you are allocated points for the difficulty and composition of the program. The points awarded depend on how well you pull off the elements. Like the Chinese pair were attempting a quad throw which only they have ever done, yeah, she fell but they got credit just for trying it. There was a deduction for the fall and apparently, it is no big deal to stop after an injury and continue. Plus the rest of their routine was nearly flawless and filled with complex lifts and jumps and throws. They didn't deserve gold but I agree with the awarding of the silver in this case. If you look at the whole 4 minutes or however long they skated, the only problem was one fall. The other teams weren't flawless either which allowed this team to still win a medal.

I actually like this new judging since it seems to reward the skaters for taking chances while a safe program may not get enough points to warrant a win. Similar to degree of difficulty in diving. Like a Canadian skater today didn't go for the quad and the commentator said he better have a flawless performance since he didn't attempt the quad in order to challenge the leader. It is an incentive for pushing the athletes to new levels or never reach the podium with a stellar average program with only triples and doubles as opposed to quads and triples. Like I said before, I only watch during the Olympics but man, the stuff those skaters do is just crazy, it takes great skill and agility.

I only watch this sport during the Olympics so maybe someone else has more knowledge of how they do this.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 AM   #193
War Child

After lsitening last night to how the skating is judged you have it pretty dead on. There is no longer a perfect score. You get first on the trick you attempted (they showed a triple lutz is worth 7 points) You then get scored from -3 to 3. 3 being perfect -3 being you fell. They also have instant replay so they can go back and look how many times you turned in slow mo.

I think the system is interesting-I do think it just makes people go out and do tricks though. There is no way Kwan would have won with this scoring. It really is no longer about grace but more about athletism. I mean quite possible you could go out try 10 triple axles land none of them and get 40 points!!

Its kinda like writing your name perfect on your SATs!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old system or new system, Plushenko would be placed exactly where he is right now.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MumblingBono
How in hell did they pick Torino? It looks like they sprayed snow on a Rivieran resort. Give me cold, forbidding Nordic locales surrounded by snow-capped ramparts.

I just can't get into it.

coz Torino is the town of chocolate !!