XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
Torvill and Dean are my all-time favorite skaters. There have never been skaters like them. Unfortunately, these days, so many of their moves would be considered illegal. They've changed the rules big time. There will never be another Torvill and Dean.

Happy Birthday by the way! That's if it is still your birthday what with the time zone difference :confused:

randhail said:

But who will be the whipping boy for the casual American fan that could care less about winter sports and skiing except for 2 weeks every four years?

I'm sure that by the time 2010 rolls around, the Great NBC Machine will have found someone new to overhype.

Just as long as Bode Miller shuts the fuck up.

Awesome victory by Canadian women today in ice hockey, they really deserve it. They worked their asses of each and every game and over the past 6 months for that gold.

Bode who?!?

Canada's skiiers didn't win medals but they still placed well in the events.

I'm glad to see the curlers earn their way into the playoffs, hopefully, they have woken up from their funk and start playing their A games.

DaveC said:

Just as long as Bode Miller shuts the fuck up.

Personally, I could care less if Bode keeps on talking because no one outside of the ski community will give a shit. That's what's great about the Olympics, people fall in love with or hate certain athlete based on the tiny snapshot that the media and their performance provides. If Bode was winning, then people wouldn't cry, piss, and moan about a guy and a sport they know next to nothing about.

If Bode would get back to winning like he did in the 04-05 season, then that would be cool too :wink:

Last edited:
Look, I follow skiing every season, and I've done so closely for 8 years because of the Kostelic family and before that more casually, it was mostly my dad's interest. And I always found Bode Miller to be irritating and prone to making inane statements. Bottom line is, he's not accomplished nearly enough things to have a mouth that big.

So it's not just a once in 4 years for me, I really honestly find him to be irritating on a nearly constant basis.

He's got a lot of potential, but as an athlete, I respect others on the circuit a hell of a lot more. Especially the ones who know how to show up on game day and don't say much before or after, but let their skiing speak for them. Bode could learn a thing or two.

They're wonderful kids, nbc. My mom knit a baby hat for her when she was born.
Who would have thought back then what she'd become.

i watched the finland - canada hockey game:drool: finland are good

this hockey tournament is wide open

we could easily have both of the 2002 finalists out in the quarter finals

NBC has a fetish for ice dancing:| :down:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I fell asleep before Belbin and Agosto. I'm so glad they did well, love their style

I'm so mad that I missed all the drama w/ Fusar Poli, I read in the paper that she glared at him on the ice and turned her back on him in the kiss and cry :ohmy:

:yes:

the look she had in her eyes... Gosh! I suppose he's never gonna forget him!
It's a pity, but as someone said, sports is like that. You win, you lose... And winning is easier than losing.

Everything can happen. Barbara Fusar Poli & Maurizio Margaglio were probably thinking they had already won, and the unpredictable happened.

Belbin and Agosto were awesome, and they both seem so nice. Good for them :applaud: I don't think they could have won gold even if she didn't make the two mistakes. I didn't care for the Russians' program. And I couldn't believe the pair that skated to Bolero, that takes guts.

Gee Barbara and Maurizio made up :rolleyes:

ladies short tonight, I have to go into hiding to avoid the results :wink:

anitram said:
They're wonderful kids, nbc. My mom knit a baby hat for her when she was born.
Who would have thought back then what she'd become.

I love how they were so proud of their sibling's accomplishments instead of their own.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Belbin and Agosto were awesome, and they both seem so nice. Good for them :applaud: I don't think they could have won gold even if she didn't make the two mistakes. I didn't care for the Russians' program. And I couldn't believe the pair that skated to Bolero, that takes guts.

Gee Barbara and Maurizio made up :rolleyes:

ladies short tonight, I have to go into hiding to avoid the results :wink:

That was the strangest thing with Barbara and Maurizio. They're weren't speaking until after their FD. The pair who skated to Bolero, Chait and Sakhnovski from Israel, was pretty gutsy. Dick Button was entirely too harsh with them. I'm glad Tanith and Ben won the silver, they are very nice and I'm proud of them.

I've been watching the olympics a lot less this year - I just can't get into it like I've done in the past :reject:

Final score for men's hockey - Canada wins 3-2 over the Czech Republic! :dance:

I'm so glad to see the men win. Since I'm at work I'll have to wait until tonight to watch the game. Why does work always have to interfere with more interesting things?! :D

Canada's men's hockey team looks like crap. No tape to tape passes, bad penalities, standing around, not going to where the puck is going to be,Brodeur saved their ass today but they look like they will probably lose tomorrow or in the semis. Right now, the only hope is Brodeur but that is unrealistic to expect him to play on his head for the next 3 games. The team was badly outplayed today, 2 of the goals were gifts or lucky goals. Usually they start coming around by now, but wow, I have never seen them this shaky in a tournament.:huh:

I have a question: for the athletes who do bobsledding and stuff with big equipment, how do they get that there? Do they have to ship it? What if their bobsled got lost? I know for the Summer Olympics, the horses have to go weeks in advance to be quarantined, but what about things that aren't alive but can't exactly be checked as baggage?

:hmm:

I was actually thinking about that :nerd: because several of the skiiers have their own motor homes that they're living in.

For most of the athletes the competetive season has been going on a while over there. I'm guessing many of them have been living in Europe for much of the winter.

I'm not sure how you'd go about shipping a bobsled though

I believe they ship it as cargo if it is going overseas. If it's nearby, some people elect to have it driven over, maintain more control over it.

An interesting story at SLC was Catriona LeMay Doan's skates. She was a double gold medallist in speed skating and I think still the current world record holder in the 500m. Anyway, she liked to travel with her skates on the same flight but after 9/11 they changed the rules and she was so worried about something happening to them that she had her husband drive them over personally from Canada, lol.

Back
Top Bottom