XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

No, the guy is a pretentious egotistical prick, that's why he's a douchebag.
Maybe I'm blind but how is the guy an pretentious egotistical prick? I think he's actually one of the most articulate and real athlete out there. He's never been one to tow the BS line.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #152
War Child

Local Time: 11:47 AM
I loved when Bode was interviewed after his race how he felt about losing. He said something to the extent of "I felt I raced a good race and it was never all about a medal for me. Id efine success as if I raced a good clean race or not." I thought it was brilliant.

I like him.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ljclary
I loved when Bode was interviewed after his race how he felt about losing. He said something to the extent of "I felt I raced a good race and it was never all about a medal for me. Id efine success as if I raced a good clean race or not." I thought it was brilliant.

I like him.
Exactly why I like him too. He's a real guy who skis for fun. Like I said, maybe I'm blind since I like him, but I just don't see the super ego driven guy. Plus, he's a native New Englander so how could I not like him
Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ljclary

I like him.
That's an excellent attitude. The guy just became more likeable. I'm not familiar with Alpine skiiers, but this makes a good impression.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Bode Miller talked a lot less last year and won a lot more.

I get the feeling he's got an elephantine ego, fed to him by the US media. NBC branded yesterday "black Sunday" after he and Rahlves failed to win a medal. That's just so incredibly obnoxious.

There are skiers out on the circuit more successful than Bode Miller and they don't yammer on about nonsense. The guy held, what, 4 separate press conferences the week before the Olympics? Give me a break.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Bode Miller talked a lot less last year and won a lot more.

I get the feeling he's got an elephantine ego, fed to him by the US media. NBC branded yesterday "black Sunday" after he and Rahlves failed to win a medal. That's just so incredibly obnoxious.

There are skiers out on the circuit more successful than Bode Miller and they don't yammer on about nonsense. The guy held, what, 4 separate press conferences the week before the Olympics? Give me a break.
I'm rarely more impressed by an athlete when he or she speaks. Occasionally I am, but it's been a while. To me jocks are a bit like that old saying about children -- should be seen and not heard.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I know their was one for the US Ski Team and I don't know what they were for/if there were other ones, but it was the week before the Olympics started. Not much different than Super Bowl week or movie pre-release stuff.

The media has created all of this with the 60 Minutes interview. Until then, it was only the ski racing fans that knew him and that view was of the guy who grew up without running water and electricity in Franconia. I haven't gotten around to reading his book, but it supposed to be very insightful as to why he is the way he is and an all-around good read and look forward to reading it.

But hey, most likely after the Olympics he'll go back to be being the Bode that only the ski race fans follow. Maybe then he'll go back to dominating the World Cup Circuit like he did to start the 04-05 season. I for one want that Bode rather than the guy that people love to hate.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:14 AM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Is it just me or are like all the women in pairs' figure skating babes? Great courage by the Chinese female skater to continue after that fall she took.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
CBC & TSN provide great coverage together for us in Canada.

go on, rub it in

Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

go on, rub it in

It's 12:45 am in British Columbia and I'm watching LIVE coverage of the Canada vs USA in women's curling on TSN. In 15 minutes, at 1am, CBC's LIVE coverage begins for the day. Terry Liebel, Ron Maclean and Brian Williams each host 3 segments of the day's coverage. It's been like this as long as I can remember for Canadian viewers and the Olympics. And I have no idea why we get such great quality coverage. We even got the SLC late night concerts back in 2002 on CBC. We get the sappy retrospectives too but few and far between.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Is it just me or are like all the women in pairs' figure skating babes? Great courage by the Chinese female skater to continue after that fall she took.
She was great!! She was suffering clearly, but they went on.
(Did you notice how protective he was? It's been so romantic! I watched their performance with continuous "awe!")
Old 02-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

people.com

By Stephen M. Silverman

Olympic speed skating winner Joey Cheek has put his gold medal where his mouth is.

The 500-meter American champion declared during a press interview about his victory that he was donating his entire $25,000 U.S. Olympic Committee bonus from the event to help children in the war-torn region of Darfur in Sudan.

"I wanted to make it meaningful," said Cheek, 26, a former inline skater from Greensboro, N.C. "It's empowering to think of someone else."

He added, "I've been plotting this a little bit in my head."

On Monday, Cheek skated the two best races of his life, with a combined time 0.65 seconds ahead of the silver medalist, Russia's Dmitry Dorofeyev – considered an amazing margin in a furious sprint usually decided by hundredths of a second. South Korea's Lee Kang Seok took the bronze, the Associated Press reports.

Cheek challenged his sponsors to match his donation. He plans to visit the Darfur region, where some 180,000 people have died and 2 million forced to flee in a bitter conflict, and see how his money is helping.

"I have been blessed with competing in the Olympics," said Cheek, who recalled something his mother Chris told her two sons: "Not to have good intentions, but to do good things."
Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Very gutsy skate by Zhang and Zhang. Their silver medal stirred up a hornet's nest of controversy on my figure skating list, though. I've never gotten so much e-mail in my life. Very nice of Cheek to donate his money. That's the best story of the Olympics so far. Incidentally, I thought they were calling Sunday "Black Sunday" was because of Michelle Kwan's pulling out, not because of the downhill. If they're doing it for the downhill shame on them, the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. skiers.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Cheek.

I can see how that pairs skating silver medal could stir of controversy. However for her to perform after that serious and hard fall deserves credit.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Incidentally, I thought they were calling Sunday "Black Sunday" was because of Michelle Kwan's pulling out, not because of the downhill. If they're doing it for the downhill shame on them, the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. skiers.
Nor does it revolve around figure skating (thank goodness).