XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

I say cancel the skating and give us more Snowboard cross.

As long as I don't have to watch Lindsey pulling a Champ Bailey again...what an idiot!!!

Olympics were great today, I was working so I had to listen on the radio. Canada has moved up in the medal count. I couldn't believe hearing that with 2 minutes to go, the Swedes were tied with the US in women's hockey and then found out Sweden won in a shootout, amazing victory.

That snowboard cross race was freaky, big crashes, some hotdogging and unpredictable ending. Great event.

Canada never won a medal in skeleton ever at the Olympics until this year, out of the 6 medals for men and women, we took 1 gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze, Calgary's legacy from the '88 Olympics is paying off. Mellisa Hollingsworth-Richards is a babe too. And Jeff Pain's helmet is kick ass with the snarling beaver on the top.

Canada's women hockey team did a great job putting them in a position to defend their gold medal. Sweden's young goalie will be a definite challenge for our women. The loss is sad for the US women but good for the game, just like when the US Dream Team made basketball a joke at first, slowly other teams started improving and competing on a par level, the same is happening in women's hockey.

The National ( our CBC news show) mentioned that the Canadian Norwegian embassy is being inundated with thank yous by Canadians for the actions of the Norwegian coach who gave Sara Renner a ski pole after she snapped her pole in the team sprint allowing Canada to win the silver medal.

Anyone see the video of US freestyle skiier, Jeff Bean, lose his skiis during his practice today, CRAZY video. The skis went flying into the sky.

I caught the women's snowboarding quarter, semi and finals this evening. My husband had told me in advance of Miss USA's moves, and how Tania (Swiss winner) will not necessarily be remembered for winning the gold, buy how what's her name lost the gold.

I don't like the rules where if you were knocked down or taken out by another competitor by accident (ran into, fell, etc.) that you should be penalized as well. If 2 people fell during the final, would there even be a bronze awarded? Sorry I don't know the names, but I think it was the Canadian who went into the fence & was carried out by stretcher, leaving the other woman who fell. Did she get up from her fall and finish the course for bronze? :shrug:

And that waltzing ice dancing was boring the crap out of me, hence I am here posting...

I never watch the Compulsory Dance, which is what that waltz thingie was. It's incredibly boring and I was tired. I'm told the Eurosport commentators had a fit over the judging while the Americans thought everything was hunky-dory.
Bode Miller is turning into the Hype From Hell. Now he's 0 for 3.

Last edited:
Congrats to Yvgeny! :happy:

r3796977697.jpg

capt.3c9e8689abb644efbb93936faf51cdb0.winter_olympics_mens_figure_skating_tr2_olypa262.jpg

He really reminds me of a young John Lennon, anyone else see this?

he's a married man already, here's his wife:

r2554179699.jpg

here they are getting back to St. Petersburg where he will be honored. He'll be back in Turin for the exhibitions.

r476290425.jpg

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
I caught the women's snowboarding quarter, semi and finals this evening. My husband had told me in advance of Miss USA's moves, and how Tania (Swiss winner) will not necessarily be remembered for winning the gold, buy how what's her name lost the gold.

I don't like the rules where if you were knocked down or taken out by another competitor by accident (ran into, fell, etc.) that you should be penalized as well. If 2 people fell during the final, would there even be a bronze awarded? Sorry I don't know the names, but I think it was the Canadian who went into the fence & was carried out by stretcher, leaving the other woman who fell. Did she get up from her fall and finish the course for bronze? :shrug:

And that waltzing ice dancing was boring the crap out of me, hence I am here posting...

If you fall and stay in the course you have the ability to get up and finish.

And as for Bode Miller, I don't want to say I told you so, but... :wink:

Switzerland is beating Canada in men's ice hockey right now...2-0 with 2 min left. :yikes:

verte76 said:
Bode Miller is turning into the Hype From Hell. Now he's 0 for 3.

The hype was all on the media's part and he could care less. He'll be happy once it's all over with and go back home to NH. Who knows, maybe I'll see him skiing Tuckerman's Ravine come the spring. :wink: :drool:

randhail said:

The hype was all on the media's part and he could care less. He'll be happy once it's all over with and go back home to NH. Who knows, maybe I'll see him skiing Tuckerman's Ravine come the spring. :wink: :drool:

I honestly don't think he gives a damn.

Shani Davis just won the gold medal in the 1,000 meter speed skating competition. He is the first African-American to win an Olympic gold medal. Of course Debi Thomas was the first African-American to win an Olympic medal when she won the bronze in 1988.

randhail said:

I think he is generating the hype with his Nike commercials.

The guy has not won a medal in Turin, but how is he overhyped? I think he has more than proven himself as champion skier. Have you looked at his career resume? It's fairly impressive.

But by all means, continue to bash him as it's the cool thing to do at the moment. :up:

A lot (or most) of this is the fault of NBC who routinely hypes up American athletes to such points of obnoxiousness that it's nearly unwatchable. Bode happens to be one of their picks this year.

verte76 said:

I honestly don't think he gives a damn.

Yeah, well how convenient it is for him to say so now when he's got no medals in his hands. Please.

And yaay for the great Janica Kostelic! I'm not just pleased because of the fact we know the family, but because here's one skier who knows how to deliver in the clutch. She now has more gold medals than any other female skier of all time. One more gold and she'll have more than any skier, male or female period. Awesome! :drool:

randhail said:
The guy has not won a medal in Turin, but how is he overhyped? I think he has more than proven himself as champion skier. Have you looked at his career resume? It's fairly impressive.

But by all means, continue to bash him as it's the cool thing to do at the moment. :up:

He's marketing himself & making money at it. I guess he can convince some to shed tears for him.

anitram said:
And yaay for the great Janica Kostelic! I'm not just pleased because of the fact we know the family, but because here's one skier who knows how to deliver in the clutch. She now has more gold medals than any other female skier of all time. One more gold and she'll have more than any skier, male or female period. Awesome! :drool:

That's cool. She's broken records set by Vreni Schneider and Katja Seizinger for women. Now she can break the all-time record. Go Janica!

U2Kitten said:
Congrats to Yvgeny! :happy:

He really reminds me of a young John Lennon, anyone else see this?

:yes: He always reminded me of young Lennon. Thanks for the pictures. He is a pleasure to watch skate. Good for him.

That's interesting, I don't think Plushy looks like a young John Lennon. He looks like, well, a young Evgeny Plushenko! He is the fourth straight Russian male Olympic champion. Should Slutskaya win she will be the first female Russian gold medalist, although not the first Russian medalist. At least I don't think so. A Soviet won the ladies' bronze in 1984. For all I know she could have been Ukrainian or from Uzbekistan.

Back
Top Bottom