Xmas Crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
Random Observations:

The Charlie Brown Christmas Special...... the way the Peanuts' gang dances always cracks me up. I actually was in a bar one time listening to a jazz band and they played the Vince Guaraldi composition entitled "Linus and Lucy" -- you know, the classic Peanuts tune... and people started doing the Peanuts dance. It was funny and cool.

Do you know that in Madison, WI people keep their Xmas lights up well into January? Swear to god. I was visiting relatives their in the early 90's and it was January 8 and many people -- and commercial properties --- still had their Christmas lights up.

In Cali, you take yer lights down on January 1. Period.

pub crawler said:

Not always. :shame:

____
:wave: ask daafish why he still hasnt taken his lights down since last year

pub crawler said:
Do you know that in Madison, WI people keep their Xmas lights up well into January? Swear to god. I was visiting relatives their in the early 90's and it was January 8 and many people -- and commercial properties --- still had their Christmas lights up.

I don't think that's unique to Madison- I'm from the Chicago area, and there are plenty of people who have their lights up after the new year. I don't think it's a regional tradition or anything- probably just laziness. :D

if my mom had it her way, the christmas lights would stay up all friggen year long.

as far as I knew, it was tradition (at least in Britain.....) to take down your christmas decorations on twelth night - january 6th. Take them down any later and it's bad luck (if you're superstitious!)

So in Britain they come down on Jan 6th.

pub crawler said:
The Charlie Brown Christmas Special...... the way the Peanuts' gang dances always cracks me up. I actually was in a bar one time listening to a jazz band and they played the Vince Guaraldi composition entitled "Linus and Lucy" -- you know, the classic Peanuts tune... and people started doing the Peanuts dance. It was funny and cool.

that really cracked me up. :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

midwesterners are weird. winter also really blows here so we need something to keep us going. although i usually take mine down shortly after the first of the year. i :heart: lights. :drool:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
oh well. my parents take their lights down by Jan 6.

That's what my mom used to do too...or on the 7th, because the 6th is supposed to be Happy Three Kings Day. :der:

pub crawler said:

A few years ago, I was president of a home owners association. People actually wanted strict rules about taking down Christmas lights. :madspit: to them.

My daughter refers to the Charlie Brown Christmas special as "Ho Ho Ho" I love to watch her dance like the Peanuts characters. :yes:

We put our orange Halloween lights up at the beginning of October and take them down in late November to put up Christmas lights. Then the Christmas lights come down the next October. ;)

It drives me crazy when people put their lights up too early, like right after Halloween. I think Dec 1 is the earliest they should be lit and stay up till the 6th of January.

On Long Island, lots of people start decorating the day after Thanksgiving. Then most people wait until Little Christmas in January to take down their xmas stuff.
When I was a kid, my parents used to leave xmas shit out until almost Easter. That sucked.

I had the radio on yesterday morning, and they were talking about some guy in the area who is offering his services to do outdoor Christmas decorations/lights for people. Minimum charge is $200, he has charged as much as $2,000 to do it, includes putting up and taking down the lights, and he provides the lights (you're basically renting them). Sounds like a pretty smart entrepreneur to me! But like I have $200 to spend to have someone do my Christmas lights :huh:

I've seen plenty of signs offering the Christmas light service - just didn't realize how $$$ it was. :ohmy:

I guess when you must have the brightest, straightest lights on the block.....

I shoulda hired him last night to help me put up my tree.

It looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. :(

*wishes I was more Martha-Stuartish*

I love Christmas lights

It's so darn dark when people take their lights down. I think they should stay up until well into January. Otherwise, it can be kinda depressing.

Back
Top Bottom