X and Y

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Is it just me or coldplay's new album sounds alot like U2? I was neevr really into coldplay but now i am starting to love them as well i guess because they (in my ears) have very semilar music to U2. Sorry if this is the worng area to post this.

Nico

thanks u2fan2004!

maybe there's a 7oke here and i'm not getting it, but after reading that switchfoot thread, i can't tell the difference anymore.

It is just you!!!

C0LDPL4Y R0XXX!!!111 :drool:

esp. Rush of Blood! :up:

ok, I'm only half serious. :shifty:

Cos apart from Rush of Blood which I enjoy, I'm not able to get into their other 2 albums much.. even though I haven't really heard all of X&Y.. but Parachutes sounds almost boring to me :reject:

Last edited:
well parachutes sucks (i think they are boring) as for rush of blood, there are about 4 or 5 great songs i love from that album. But X and Y there are some pretty sweet songs like white shadows or talk for example. They are the ones that remind me of U2 as well as speed of sound is pretty sweet. But i agree i can't listen to their first album esp for the song yellow which i on't like. I just hope that their future albums are more in the lines of rush of blood and X and Y which have alot more energy then their first album.

But guys, guys.. what do you think of coldplay's subtle shift in direction over the last few albums? Where do you think their focus will be on the next record? What would be a great business decision for them to take?

:wink:

love_u2_adam said:

it was Calgary on Dallas tonight!!!!!

Calgary_on_dallas.gif

i think u2_adam's best contribution to this board is massive energy, and wild ambition.

what that ambition is, i have no idea.

but i do know she uses a lot of exclamation marks.

listened to X & Y on the way to work today. good album. i feel no need to compare it to anyone or anything else. i just enjoy it.

coldplay is by far the worst simple minds cover band i ever listened to...but for some people their music sounds inspirational. i will never understand.:tsk:

I do enjoy Coldplay, good band.

But it seems their popular as ever, when their latest is their weakest effort.

Parachutes :drool: :drool:
Rush of Blood to the Head :drool:

I'll admit, Coldplay does have a HUGE U2 influence in them, no one can deny it. But what better band to take after than them? U2 most likely was criticized for sounding like other bands (I'm not familiar with the music of the time, but everyone sounds like someone). I think that sooner or later they will branch out. As long as they aren't going for it note for note, its fine. Chris Martin's voice is different than Bonos, chord structures arent alike, guitar player does take a lot of Edge qualities, but not you can tell the difference. Just give them time to branch, they have a great start. Music is music. They had enough to get out there and start something of their own, its easy to say they completely copied a band, but the people like it. And Coldplay fans aren't too main stream, as U2 fans. All of their albums are worth listening, a different sound in each. Although I would agree that X&Y is their weakest, but they only have 3 out. U2 was only at War on their 3rd. Their debut and Rush of Blood was great in my opinion. And thier live shows... The energy and passion is there. You can have your opinion of not liking the music, it not being your taste. But saying they are a bad band isn't right. It takes a lot to do what they do.

And you have to admit, this is an awesome way to open a concert.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-80qBXgSvb4&search=coldplay

:drool:

By the way, I'm glad that this thread is firmly back on topic again. :up:

I really need to put together a thread derailing anigif sometime. Complete with little smileys flying out the windows.

That sometime should be now. Get on with it, laddy! Could you somehow include Chris Martin catching his head on fire? And flying out the window with the little smileys?

coldplay is a really good band. the people that hate them so much are just afraid that they'll become bigger than U2.

Back
Top Bottom