X and Y

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kakvox said:
First 2 albums, good. X & Y a total disappointment for me.
Agree.

X&Y ain't terrible at all, but it doesn't have that certain something AROBTTH had.
I have barely listened to it since I brought it when it first came out, enjoyable enough for a while but after a few plays I got fed up and haven't had the urge to return to it since.

Square One, Talk, X&Y, Speed of Sound, A Message, Swallowed By The Sea, Till Kingdom Come are all... :drool: Square One is one of the best songs Coldplay has written--I wish it would have been a single.

The other 5 songs are good but not amazing by any means.

I think the only problem with X&Y is that Coldplay don't really know who they want to be...there are tons of U2, and Beatles influences--- even Prince (the chorus of White Shadows is completely ripped from When Doves Cry).

Great songs, just not a very original sound overall.

xaviMF22 said:

thread_hijacked.jpg

Get off my plane! :drool:

The U2 influences abound, and I found them even more intense and intentional live. And that doesn't bother me. I love U2 and love a lot of groups who owe a debt to U2.

The "Square One" opening contains a certain build-up that reminds me of Joshua-era "Streets."

X&Y deserves patient and persistent listening; I've found it to grow with time, and I now see all three Coldplay records as classics.

I'm shocked at how this band rouses the emotions of love or hate so strongly. Certainly, they have this aspect of wearing influences proudly, and some object to the "arena emo" aspect that makes people invoke Journey (or even Simple Minds, as one person does in this thread).

The amazing thing about the mid-80s is that U2 were the original article of a religiously big sound coupled with earnest lyrics that shaped Big Country, Waterboys, Alarm, Simple Minds, etc.

Coldplay come at a time when they can carry a tradition forward, one U2 shares with bands like REM and Radiohead as well. If they don't implode and manage to make it to a 4th record, I think we'll still be talking about them a long time from now.

One concern though is how old they make me feel. I go to Colplaying.com and everyone on the boards is like 16! I feel more comfortable talking about my other music interests in this forum where there's a distinct leap in quality and frequency of activity from a lot of other fan forums.

Anu

Since my post - which was about Coldplay in the original version of this thread - got moved, I'll summarise and expand it here.

It bugs me when Coldplay continually get compared to U2, whether in a positive sense or a negative sense. It just reeks of U2 fans trying to compare their favourite band to every other band on earth because, you know, because U2 influenced everyone and everyone else has to know it. I'll be the first to admit that I've been guilty of this myself, but I see now how pointless it is. There are people who listen to Coldplay only because they remind them of U2, and there are people who hate Coldplay only because they remind them of U2. This isn't directed at anyone in this thread because I don't think there's really anyone here at the present who thinks like that, but I've seen it happening here at Interference so many times in the past that it has begun to get tiring. If you're going to like Coldplay, like them for who they are and not who they remind you of. If you're going to hate Coldplay, don't hate them because you think their guitarist is a cheap imitation of The Edge, hate them because of genuine dislike of the music.

Also, contrary to popular belief, U2 haven't invented any particular song structures or invented the way that certain songs build up. To make a direct reference - Anu, I don't mean to take you completely out of context, but just bear with me, please. :wink: You mention how the beginning of Square One reminds you of Streets. The beginning of Square One reminds me of the beginnings of songs by many different artists, not just U2.

In short, no one will ever be completely original. It's impossible. If Coldplay sound like U2, well so what? Yes, it drives me insane when I see little pre-teens blathering on about how "original" Coldplay's guitarist is, when all he's doing is replicating a style that has already been made popular by the likes of Tom Verlaine, Will Sergeant, The Edge, and others (not just The Edge - another misconception amongst U2 fans that bugs me!) Yes, it irritates me a little when I see Chris Martin trying so desperately to be Bono. But that's not what's important. It's the things that actually make Coldplay Coldplay that are important when it comes to loving them or hating them.

U2Man said:
So GG, do you love them or hate them?

Hate them. :wink: I still like some of the stuff they did on Parachutes, but that's it. I thought X&Y was really weak. The songs sounded far too similar to me, and not in the good concept album kind of way. AROBTTH never appealed to me too much, though I did like that Politik song.

Back
Top Bottom