Wtf are singles for???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
Why do the album and single versions of songs have to be different? For example, the single and the album versions of "Please" sound completely different, why is that?

Second, I don't get how some songs "sound like singles." Like people say that ATYCLB is an album full of singles. Why is that?

And third, what the fuck is the purpose of singles. Why do songs have to be singles to be played on the radio, be nominated for awards, etc. This really sucks for songs like Until the End of the World, Miracle Drug, Kite.

Last edited:
1) Single versions are "user-friendly" versions. They are usually cut down for radio, because some songs are too long. I haven't heard 'Please' (I was only five y.o. at the time it was released) but my guess is that they often make the songs a bit faster or give it a new beat when they release them.

2) I have always been baffled by that as well. My opinion - that is some people's way of making themselves sound smart. My guess would be that people think that every song off ATYCLB could have been released.

3) The purpose of singles is to promote the album and also it is a way of getting more sales because i) people would rather spend $5 on a single then then $25 on an album ii) if they like a single they are mor likely to buy an album. How are people supposed to know what the hell an album sounds like if they don't release singles to promote it?

But I will agree with you that it does suck for some songs (ie Kite, Miracle Drug) because they are just as good as the singles they released. I do question U2's choice of releasing SYCMIOYO as a single.

Hope this helps.

People have short attention spans.

Really.

It's a symptom of some problem, you know...

... something.

:shh:

What were we talking about?

if no-one released singles ala Zeppelin/Floyd etc. albums would sell more on the merit of the actual album tracks in my opinion rather than saying "Oh, that's the one with Beautiful Day isn't it?" All of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd albums are fantastic collections of music and EVERY track is seen as standalone rather than shadowed by a monster single. Just imagine Dark Side of the Moon with just 'Money' or something?

Singles have never been the same since they stopped being vinyl. A side and B side, picture sleeve, all for $1.99. You kids just don't know what music is! :madspit:

blueeyedgirl said:
Singles have never been the same since they stopped being vinyl. A side and B side, picture sleeve, all for $1.99. You kids just don't know what music is! :madspit:

And the pictures were bigger. None of this itsy weeny CD sized covers. And what about 12inch singles with coloured vinyl and a full size picture sleeve. :drool:

beli said:

And the pictures were bigger. None of this itsy weeny CD sized covers. And what about 12inch singles with coloured vinyl and a full size picture sleeve. :drool:

You're so right Beli! I reckon we ALL miss those 12inchers......:drool:

:wink:

I'm 16 and for some reason I really appreciate what vinyl singles were, a lot more than current CD offerings...it's exactly as you guys have said...A-side, B-side (possibly two tracks), picture sleeve. That's all you need. These days it's Maxi-singles, DVD-singles, Double disc editions, anything! If a single comes out on Vinyl I'll usually get it on a 7" much nicer not to mention bloody CHEAP!!.

Bought Franz Ferdinand's "Matineé" on 7" for 99p, had the single, and a live version of Michael. Who could have asked for more? That live version's better than the original!

blueeyedgirl said:

I've got a couple hundred 45s. ;)

I guess singles are a holdover from the days when singles mattered, or something. Really, if you like the band, you get the damn album (if there is an album).

blueeyedgirl said:

Tell me about it. I still have several handy little 45-sized carrying cases full of vinyl singles. I used to have about 10 of them, full, but now I'm down to three, I think. They were all alphabetized, separated into domestics and imports.

Import singles. :drool:

If you don't get how, say, "Pride" "sounds like a single" and, say again, "Promenade" doesn't, there's no helping you. Singles are simply used to promote albums, like videos and all that other crap. They usually pick the catchier, less offensive, "single-length" songs to maximize potential radio-play.

The single version of "Please" was re-recorded probably both because they thought that the original was incomplete and that the original wasn't radio-friendly enough.

They don't sell many singles in the US anymore, since most people just get the albums or download the songs they want.

Some songs get a lot of airplay without being released as a single. Like "Until the End of the World" (which should've been released as a single instead of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," but whatever).
Kieran McConville said:
I guess singles are a holdover from the days when singles mattered, or something. Really, if you like the band, you get the damn album (if there is an album).
Back in the day, the singles weren't on the album. Check out the Beatles, who released enough non-album tracks to compile two Past Masters volumes (not to mention that the 1 compilation has exactly zero tracks from some of their biggest albums, like Sgt. Pepper's or the White Album).

This was to extract more money from fans, of course, but it wasn't so bad since lots of bands actually wrote B-sides that were worth turning the damn thing over. If you're basing your assumptions on the latest round of U2 singles, I can see how you'd hear the "All Because of You (Extended Crap Mix)" and wonder what the point of it all is. Can't help you there, sorry.

But anyway, if nothing else, some singles have very, very good B-sides, and they're fun to collect. The Beatles had "She's A Woman," "I'm Down," "Rain," "We Can Work It Out," and "Penny Lane," for instance. U2's "If God Will Send His Angels" single is a favorite of mine because of its wonderful flow (and wonderfully downer mood).

Last edited:
Kieran McConville said:

I never really liked singles. Even when I was a kid and singles were much more popular (showing my age :) ), I very rarely bought them. I did much prefer the albums (still do). If I only like one song by an artist I generally don't feel much compulsion to buy.

blahblahblah said:
if no-one released singles ala Zeppelin/Floyd etc. albums would sell more on the merit of the actual album tracks in my opinion rather than saying "Oh, that's the one with Beautiful Day isn't it?" All of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd albums are fantastic collections of music and EVERY track is seen as standalone rather than shadowed by a monster single. Just imagine Dark Side of the Moon with just 'Money' or something?

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd both released singles.

As a matter of fact, I have a couple of Zeppelin 45's, Whole Lotta Love and Immigrant Song.

Pink Floyd had a #1 hit in America with Another Brick Part 2. You don't get a #1 hit in America without releasing a single (at least not in 1980 anyways)

I also have Joel Whitburns Billboard top 40 book around here somewhere, I think Zeppelin had about 6 top 40 hits, Floyd only had two, if I remember right. Another Brick in the Wall and Money.

Yeah, Pink Floyd had a fair few singles.

And one of Led Zeppelin's most played songs on the radio, "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do," was a B-side (to "Immigrant Song," I think).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom